How do get the clutch off a stihl 024

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musclenut

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need to get the clutch off my 024 so I can replace the seal under it. I cann't figure out how to get it off. What is the best way to get the clutch off?

The good news. I just went out to the shop and popped the clutch off and replaced the seal.
The bad news. I sheared the moon key on the flywheel. Where do you get those at?

You have a few options here. You can go to a good hardware store and get one that is close, file it to fit and your good to go. You can order one online. You can order one at your dealer or you can just line up your flywheel and run without. The crankshaft and flywheel have a tapered fit, so once you tighten the flywheel down it Usually isn't going anywhere.

The key is only there to index the timing. If you get the flywheel on in the right place and tightened down it will never move. The hard part is getting it in the proper spot without the key. It affects your timing if its wrong.

The good news. I just went out to the shop and popped the clutch off and replaced the seal.
The bad news. I sheared the moon key on the flywheel. Where do you get those at?

This is why piston stops were made. if you don't have a piston stop, take a piece of starter rope put a few knots in the end and shove it down the spark plug hole. This will prevent this from happening when you assemble the saw.

Make sure that the mating conical surfaces on the flywheel bore and on the crankshaft do not have any high spots from the shearing of the key. The tapered surfaces must be true and squeaky-clean to achieve the tight fit that holds the flywheel securely in place. Use brake cleaner on both surfaces to remove any oil film present.

Make sure that the mating conical surfaces on the flywheel bore and on the crankshaft do not have any high spots from the shearing of the key. The tapered surfaces must be true and squeaky-clean to achieve the tight fit that holds the flywheel securely in place. Use brake cleaner on both surfaces to remove any oil film present.

Great advise right there!!!!

Another option would have been taking the flywheel off first. Then replace both clutch and flywheel-side seals.

In a pinch, the half moon can be pushed forward slightly so it protrudes enough for you to see it through the flywheel hole.

Latest posts

Back