how do i date a stihl chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihldrivinman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i just went to stihls website and looked under frequently asked questions and one guy asked how can i tell when my stihl chainsaw was made? the only explanation was stihl does not encorporate production dates into our serial numbers. so does anyone know of anyway to tell the exact year that a stihl chainsaw was made?

The only way is to take the serial number to your dealer...They can tell you....Usually..
They'll look to see when it was registered (Not necessarily when it was made/ just when it was registered)

Last edited:
You can also email in the serial # to Stihl - Technical Support

I have done this several times and it took about 3 working days

Last edited:
This question has been asked sooooo many times..

I just don't get it unless..it's a real antique or something
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe a dealer will see who the warranty was issued to....but they're under NO obligation to do so.

Bottom line..(unless antique) what difference does it make..?? - - it's now yours..!!

If it is a transition saw..I can get that..need to know approximate manufacturing date.

Any good dealer should understand and do a "warranty date" check which will put you in the ballpark.

For just "recreational" curiosity..sort of a waste..can't change anything..and it makes no matter generally

because if even you know sale date..you still don't know manufacturing date like you can with Husky.

Some saws sit on a shelf for years...example here...066 dealer sold at cost after 2 years....NO buyers..!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can ask your Stihl dealer to 'run' the serial number...maybe he will...maybe he won't.
:cheers:
J2F

Well, for one reason, I would like to know what year my used 025's are so I know what size the piston is, because I understand that they changed the bore from 42mm to 42.5mm at some point.

For 025's before S/N X162 154 676, use the 42mm where the X stands for the country of manufacture (Germany, US, Brazil).

nmurph, if you see this, I have one more question. Is the "x" in your example a tenth digit, or did you mean it to indicate the "1" in "162" in that serial #? My serial is 226 097 357, which would be after 162 154 676, but if you meant a tenth digit, mine would be before 2162 154 676 (if your above example were say made in the US and the "x" was a "2"). Am I being as clear as mud?

I need to order a piston, is why I am so interested. I don't have a micrometer to measure the old one. Thank you!

nmurph put the "x" there because there is a number there that indicates the country the saw was made in.

You don't need to use the serial number to order parts for a saw..just the model number..hope this answers your question.

J2F

nmurph put the "x" there because there is a number there that indicates the country the saw was made in.

You don't need to use the serial number to order parts for a saw..just the model number..hope this answers your question.

J2F

Yes, and no.

You are correct about the meaning of the X, but the SN dictates whether or not that saw has a 42 or 42.5mm bore.

nmurph, did you see my new question above "jus2fat"s post, please
Your serial number is simply 226097357 which is an FS55 registered in May of 2004. The difficulty comes in that there are two engines for that same model number. I dug around and cannot find serial number ranges for them. I haven't serviced one, so I cannot help figure it out.

Many times you can look at the little plastic piece molding marks, many times there is a date stamp month and year molded in. Not sure fire but if you have several parts with close dates it gets you in the ball park. Mag parts have them many times too on older saws.

Edit: only my experience so far which is limited. Won't help with part numbers though.

Latest posts

Back