how do i date a stihl chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try to summarize for clarification.

- Stihl 025 models were produced with two different cylinder bores = 42mm in earlier models and 42.5mm in later models.
- nmurph kindly informed me that 025 serial #'s before "X162 154 676" were 42mm, after "X162 154 676" were 42.5mm.
- my confusion = does the "x" represent another digit = a ten digit serial #? If so, my number would be earlier rather than later.

I don't care what year it was made, I need to know what size piston to order based on which model I have, which can be determined by the serial number.

I'm not sure what nmurph meant by the X, but any 025 is going to have a 9 digit serial number. nmurph has access different information then what I have because the piston change serial number is not listed in the technical information I have.

Thank you AKDoug, that is exactly what I was asking. So, if all 025's have 9-digit serial#s, that would make my serial# come AFTER "162 154 676", which means that I have the 42.5mm bore! Many thanks!

Many times you can look at the little plastic piece molding marks, many times there is a date stamp month and year molded in. Not sure fire but if you have several parts with close dates it gets you in the ball park. Mag parts have them many times too on older saws.

Edit: only my experience so far which is limited. Won't help with part numbers though.
The 1106 series saw dates can be found on the muffler
1111 saws are dated by the flywheel, PITA to find!
Easy answer, buy husky, you can find out the week it was assembled then!

I will try to summarize for clarification.

- Stihl 025 models were produced with two different cylinder bores = 42mm in earlier models and 42.5mm in later models.
- nmurph kindly informed me that 025 serial #'s before "X162 154 676" were 42mm, after "X162 154 676" were 42.5mm.
- my confusion = does the "x" represent another digit = a ten digit serial #? If so, my number would be earlier rather than later.

I don't care what year it was made, I need to know what size piston to order based on which model I have, which can be determined by the serial number.
The first digit of the 10 numbers represents where it was made, if it starts with 1 it's German, so disregard the first number and use the next 9
So if your saw is #1234567890 and the stihl technical bulletin reads that all saws after X234567889 are gutless turds, all saws ending with the last 9 numbers are that, regardless if it's 2234567890, 3234567890, etc. but saws 223456788 or 3234567777 are good

If its 2008 and Some back too 2003 and Newer the Media cat will look up saws by Serial number and tell ya whats in it !

OK...you want / need to order a new piston. Break the saw down..take piston to Stihl dealer..have him measure it and order appropriate size piston.

You're gonna have to break it down anyway to install it...you could have had all this done in less time than questioning the freaking serial number.

Clowns to the left of me...Jokers to the right...here I am...Stuck in the middle with you.

J2F

The first digit of the 10 numbers represents where it was made, if it starts with 1 it's German, so disregard the first number and use the next 9
So if your saw is #1234567890 and the stihl technical bulletin reads that all saws after X234567889 are gutless turds, all saws ending with the last 9 numbers are that, regardless if it's 2234567890, 3234567890, etc. but saws 223456788 or 3234567777 are good
No. They are only 9 digits long, the first digit of the 9 digits is the country code.

OK...you want / need to order a new piston. Break the saw down..take piston to Stihl dealer..have him measure it and order appropriate size piston.

You're gonna have to break it down anyway to install it...you could have had all this done in less time than questioning the freaking serial number.

Clowns to the left of me...Jokers to the right...here I am...Stuck in the middle with you.

J2F

It's AssHats like you that keep those of us with less experience from asking what you consider dumb questions on these forums. Excuse me, and other newbies, from cluttering your forums with "clown" questions. I was trying to learn something here from the experienced saw men/women.

Who said I haven't already torn down the saw?20140504_193420 (350x263).jpg
Who said I live anywhere near a Stihl dealer?
Who said I was retired and have all the time in the world to sit around and play with saws?
Just because we are not all professional saw men and have all the fancy tools like micrometers and left-handed spark plug benders, etc., does that mean that an average-joe homeowner can't take on a project of fixing up a saw for the fun of it?
Like I said, I was just looking to learn something. I thought this was a newbie friendly forum, but I guess I was wrong.

For 025's before S/N X162 154 676, use the 42mm where the X stands for the country of manufacture (Germany, US, Brazil).

Yes, and such "cut-off" numbers usually are listed in the IPLs (only the ones issued after the change of course).

I was trying to learn something here from the experienced saw men/women.

Who said I haven't already torn down the saw?View attachment 349194
Who said I was retired and have all the time in the world to sit around and play with saws?
Just because we are not all professional saw men and have all the fancy tools like micrometers and left-handed spark plug benders, etc., does that mean that an average-joe homeowner can't take on a project of fixing up a saw for the fun of it?
Like I said, I was just looking to learn something. I thought this was a newbie friendly forum, but I guess I was wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK...if you don't have a Stihl dealer near you...then take it to a machine shop or an auto parts store or a hardware store...etc. for measurement.

You surely must have someplace near you that could measure that piston for you..?? - Sooo just go do it and order the freaking piston..!!

You're making something that is easy into something hard...or you're just messing with the members...or you're just a bit of a "numb-nuts"..??..:confused:

This is a very newbie friendly forum and I help many newbies...but I admit that my patience can run thin when an obvious solution is not seen or ignored

J2F

It's AssHats like you that keep those of us with less experience from asking what you consider dumb questions on these forums. Excuse me, and other newbies, from cluttering your forums with "clown" questions. I was trying to learn something here from the experienced saw men/women.

Who said I haven't already torn down the saw?View attachment 349194
Get some callipers and measure the piston pin, you'll be able to find what you want on eBay

Stihl-man - I know I have arrived late as usual to this but just a quick note to maybe help answer your question.

All Stihl serial numbers for the past lots of years have all been nine digits total length, so as other have said, the first of those nine digits is the "country code".
So your serial number of "226097357" would mean it was made in the US (1=Germany 2=US 3=Brazil 4=Austria 8=China 9=Hungary) made before the number that nmurph quoted.
(X26 097 357 < X62 154 676)
So if I was ordering parts for that, I would go to the older 42mm edition.
I could not find any Stihl Tech Document here in Australia that designates the changeover number so I cannot confirm it other than lending you some calipers!

Latest posts

Back