How do I remove abused teeth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used the new "super pockets" and the standard 1/2" teeth for a while now and have not had any trouble at all. I have hit a few rocks and a couple of buried pipes and the teeth haven't even twisted or bent. So far I like the set up real well, it should last a long time without much of any trouble. Thanks for all the help.

I use an oxy-acetylene torch to carefully blow out the bolt heads. It won't damage the pocket if you know what you doing

I have cut some with a torch, but the pocket had to be replaced as I cut it too. You probably need new pockets anyway. A couple of times I welded a nut on to the end of bolt and turned it off with an end wrench. Once you get one loose you're good to go. It sucks, I've been there.

Use a pair of pliers to hold a nut over the spot where the allen wrench used to fit. With the nut lying flat as in the hole in the nut over the opening in the old bolt take your welder and fill the hole with weld. I've done this with a mig and a stick welder many times. Give the weld about 10 seconds to cool then try to turn with a wrench using a rocking motion. 9 times out of 10 the bolt will back out. If the nut snaps off just weld another on it's place. The heat from the weld will break down any locking compound that may have been used in the past also. Good luck and if you need any advice on procedure for doing this send me a PM.

Had same problem with my 352 yesterday. Luckily I do have burning equipment heated them up to cherry red and turned straight out less then 5-mins start to finish, cup of tea while cooling and back to work in under 15 mins.

I weld a allen wrench into the hole then getr done if that don't work I break
my torch and cut the bugger I use a propane and oxygen easier for me I
have a small propane and oxygen bottle good for the field easier to load etc.
Propane cuts very well but if you really have to cut like half inch plate your
oxy will go fast.

good tips ... but how does that work for you, when you throw a tooth at the job ??? i wont run my machine with a broken tooth ... if it won't come out with the ALLEN bit .. do you drive all the way home ,, to use the torch or the welder ?????

worst case if i can't get the bolt off with the ALLEN,, or the $3 extractor,,, i have a drill and an extention cord on the truck... i can find a plug a lot closer than driving all the way home !!! JMHO

good tips ... but how does that work for you, when you throw a tooth at the job ??? i wont run my machine with a broken tooth ... if it won't come out with the ALLEN bit .. do you drive all the way home ,, to use the torch or the welder ?????

worst case if i can't get the bolt off with the ALLEN,, or the $3 extractor,,, i have a drill and an extention cord on the truck... i can find a plug a lot closer than driving all the way home !!! JMHO

I stopped have those problems when I got yellow jackets easy as
pie to change teeth but if a pocket breaks yeah time to go home.
I wont vibrate my equipment either!

I stopped have those problems when I got yellow jackets easy as
pie to change teeth but if a pocket breaks yeah time to go home.
I wont vibrate my equipment either!

how are those new teeth ? havn't heard much about them . last time i drove down to the dealer , to buy some teeth , they were pushing them ... while i was there , the guy ahead of me at the counter got the sales push . he had a big tow behind like you do .

they quoted him around $400 to convert . he passed... then i got the push .. just put all new pockets on the machine a month earlier ,, should have caught me then ,, i'll pass !!! are they worth it ????? other than ease of changing,, do you really see any improvement ????

how are those new teeth ? havn't heard much about them . last time i drove down to the dealer , to buy some teeth , they were pushing them ... while i was there , the guy ahead of me at the counter got the sales push . he had a big tow behind like you do .

they quoted him around $400 to convert . he passed... then i got the push .. just put all new pockets on the machine a month earlier ,, should have caught me then ,, i'll pass !!! are they worth it ????? other than ease of changing,, do you really see any improvement ????

Well yes, they are the best setup I have tried yet. Pros easy to change
and one set is like 2 or three if you learn how to rotate. Cons; price of
the change over was more like 700.00 for my unit then 350.00 per set
but they do last longer and you can rotate in less than five minutes.

Well yes, they are the best setup I have tried yet. Pros easy to change
and one set is like 2 or three if you learn how to rotate. Cons; price of
the change over was more like 700.00 for my unit then 350.00 per set
but they do last longer and you can rotate in less than five minutes.

$400 , might have been for my machine .... just had to drill out three bolts today. puting new teeth on my machine.. i don't mind doing it.. but, it did take a toll on my back,,, torquing to 250 LB,s ....gonna need new pockets soon,,,new bolts,, new teeth.....thats gonna cost a few bucks ,,,,

is it really worth switching over ?????

$400 , might have been for my machine .... just had to drill out three bolts today. puting new teeth on my machine.. i don't mind doing it.. but, it did take a toll on my back,,, torquing to 250 LB,s ....gonna need new pockets soon,,,new bolts,, new teeth.....thats gonna cost a few bucks ,,,,

is it really worth switching over ?????

Just stumps if you are fixin to have to buy all new pockets you
would be crazy not to. They are much better if ya got to do the
change anyway you will be grateful you did. Just cost effective
in time and $ imo.

If your bolts are wearing that quickly, the pockets are probably shot. Worn pockets expose the cap screws and they will wear quickly. As for drilling out cap screws, I use never-seize on all the caps screws and have not drilled or burned one off in a long time.

Back