How do I strap on my climbing spikes???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mahnertree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of climbing spikes on ebay and I cant figure how the bottom straps go. I cant get them around my leg so I have been putting them around my foot parallel with the metal part that goes under my boot. This doesn't seem to be correct and climbing is a pain this way. I think the strap is supposed to go around my ankle instead of around my foot. Straps are too short to go around my leg. Any pointers??

I knew a guy once who had balls the size of grapefruit....he'd do what needed to be done, damn the consequenses to his body. He wasn't a climber, but the only job openings were for climbers......

So naturally, come interview time, Jimmy was a climber....he'd done it for a few years working for a tree service, he could do it all, no problem. Ok Jimmy, says the foreman, we'll give you a try, and see what you can do.

So the next day they head out to the r.o.w. to let Jimmy show off his stuff, and see if he was worth keeping around. They give him a rope and a saddle, a lanyard, and a pair of gaffs.

Well after a bit of jangling around he gets the saddle cinched up into a nice ball breaker, and goes to put on the gaffs. Puts the left gaff on first, with the pad on the inside of his left calf, cinches it all down tight, and goes to the right. Get's it all cinched down, with the pad on the inside of his right calf.

Then grabs his rope and lanyard and proudly marches up to the tree ready to go to work. He's ready to start climbing up the tree, but he just can't figure out how that works with the spikes on the outside of his feet......

Four or five guys are just standing back, waiting for the moment of realization to strike him, and crack up simultaneously when it did.

The moral of this story is:

Learn what the hell you're doing before you go putting yourself in harm's way with no knowledge and second hand equipment you don't know the history of.

people on here can get a little harsh. so look up stuff on google and watch some youtube before asking questions, you can find alot of info just by searching. then you dont have to get a lashing by the people on here.

mahnertree,

What part of Mn you from? I have a small ash tree near a shed I am looking for somone to limb if you are looking for a place to practice... Let me know if you are in the southern part of the state.

I knew a guy once who had balls the size of grapefruit....he'd do what needed to be done, damn the consequenses to his body. He wasn't a climber, but the only job openings were for climbers......

So naturally, come interview time, Jimmy was a climber....he'd done it for a few years working for a tree service, he could do it all, no problem. Ok Jimmy, says the foreman, we'll give you a try, and see what you can do.

So the next day they head out to the r.o.w. to let Jimmy show off his stuff, and see if he was worth keeping around. They give him a rope and a saddle, a lanyard, and a pair of gaffs.

Well after a bit of jangling around he gets the saddle cinched up into a nice ball breaker, and goes to put on the gaffs. Puts the left gaff on first, with the pad on the inside of his left calf, cinches it all down tight, and goes to the right. Get's it all cinched down, with the pad on the inside of his right calf.

Then grabs his rope and lanyard and proudly marches up to the tree ready to go to work. He's ready to start climbing up the tree, but he just can't figure out how that works with the spikes on the outside of his feet......

Four or five guys are just standing back, waiting for the moment of realization to strike him, and crack up simultaneously when it did.

Learn what the hell you're doing before you go putting yourself in harm's way with no knowledge and second hand equipment you don't know the history of.

moral of my story is... just answer my question! i appreciate all the sarcasm and tough guy stuff... but i dont have time for a pissing contest. i dont have the knowledge. you guys do. so i came here for advice. ok there captain kirk!

mahnertree,

What part of Mn you from? I have a small ash tree near a shed I am looking for somone to limb if you are looking for a place to practice... Let me know if you are in the southern part of the state.

I'm in Apple Valley.

I just have to share a story about a gal that wanted to climb.
i had climbed a tree and put a line on it for a bit of a pull. the tree was about 24inch waist high and I went up only about 40ft for good leverage.
When I had it on the ground and was putting my gear away she asked, could I try those on.
Now mind you, she was a ballerina, for real. She was very thin, all I could say is you sure? She said yes I would like to try. Well a powerline with some nice poles, not scarred up and no creosote on them were on the property where I had the pickup parked. I put the spurs on her and the belt. Explained about taking small steps and to be careful not to stick one in her leg, and I told her not to get any higher than I could reach her feet.

Well she put the first one in and stood on it, I told her to lean close to the pole and toss the rope up, she did, stuck in the other, and pulled up. She tossed the rope again after some effort, and took the next step. As she could easily do the splits, she just about put her knee to her chin and stuck the next one in. Ok, now picture this, she has one leg extended, the other one stuck in just about where the rope is around the pole, ok, now step up, lol, there she was, stuck like a frog on a pole, couldn't get the upper one out and couldn't lift herself to get the lower one up a bit.

I let her struggle a bit and lifted her off. She said my, that looks so easy, you are such a big man, I don't know how you can go up a tree like you do.

I have to admit, at 260, it is not as easy as it used to be. What we lose in age, we make up for with talent, right? Only thing I know is that everytime I am up there I wonder why, lol.

You folks be careful, climbing and cutting are not for beginners or the faint of heart. Get with someone that has some history and let him give you some hands on.

I actually had a young guy that I hired do just that. I did show him how to properly strap the spikes on and coached him on climbing but I only let him set ropes on removals and limited him to a hand saw on prune jobs. He was actually pretty good at climbing without spikes on the prune jobs. I would have kept him if he could have kept himself out of jail.

To the OP, I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I really thought you were a regular poster on here just pulling our chains. If you can't figure out how to put your spikes on there is not much I could advise you on but would recommend you get with someone who knows a little bit about climbing before trying to go it on your own.

moral of my story is... just answer my question! i appreciate all the sarcasm and tough guy stuff... but i dont have time for a pissing contest. i dont have the knowledge. you guys do. so i came here for advice. ok there captain kirk!

That's not sarcasm....'tis a true story. I just found it fitting for the thread.....

The straps go around your leg, not under your boot. I take a full wrap around the shank before I go to the buckle.

Being capable of wearing your spikes correctly may be a tad shy of what it's gonna take to keep you safe tho....

(that was sarcasm)

you have got to be kidding. there should be no reason that the straps are not long enough. measure them and post the measurmeants here or take a pic of them

Buddy, we aren't trying to put you down, but you are in too deep, and if one of us tells you how to use them, then you go get yourself killed, its on our conscience. If you really want to learn, find a tree company in the area and go work for them. The climber will gladly teach you as much as you can learn.

Please, don't put those old Gaffs on and try climbing blind. At least get somebody who knows what they are doing to watch you... Just in case.

climbing

i agree with motoroilmccall completly. dont kill yourself and dont try anything that your not sure about.. if you want to learn on your own find a small tree no more than 20ft(maple preferably). to learn on and use a saddle and keep yourself tied in. its there for your safety. there are many companys that have climbers that would more than willing help you out and learn the basics at the very least. dont go trying to cut a tree down climbing either till you know what your doing because it dont take much to get hurt or killed. there was a time that i and most of us here were in that position that we didnt know what we were doing or seen sombody up climbing and thought we could do it to. its a whole different ball park out there once you get in the tree. its not like using a bucket truck. i have had my share of falling out of trees, being electrocuted, cut with saws... its not fun and i dont wish it on nobody. it dont take but 1 slip so be careful with them. watch videos at the least to get an idea. you can find alot in common with that on youtube.com. good luck and be careful

I just purchased a pair of climbing spikes on ebay and I cant figure how the bottom straps go. I cant get them around my leg so I have been putting them around my foot parallel with the metal part that goes under my boot. This doesn't seem to be correct and climbing is a pain this way. I think the strap is supposed to go around my ankle instead of around my foot. Straps are too short to go around my leg. Any pointers??
Ditch those spikes there overated ,learn to climb rope and saddle first , you'll be better off and a better climber too , a good start is the tree climbers companion book they have it in espanol and english what ever is your pleasure, get a good foundation first or get yourself six strong guys and build a pine box .

People wear them differently, I like to have the buckle towards my toe. Take the strap, wrap it around the back of your heal/ankle area, come over the top of your foot and send it through the buckle, and tighten it down. I also prefer to wrap the strap around the shank (the piece of metal going up your leg) one full time and then put it through the buckle. I must say that my straps when run this way when tightened are only on the first hole so it's possible you're straps aren't long enough to be run if you do it this way, or that perhaps they were cut by the previous owner. You might want to order a new set of straps as they aren't too expensive.

Hope this helps.

Don't let anyone on this site tell you what to do. Let's just test this Darwin thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back