how do u go about start a fire wood cutting bussiness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you want to buy log length and process it, or cut your own for processing? What is your target market (urban/rural)?

In order to get the best advice, you need to give more information about what equipment you have and what access you have to wood.

Basically, you need a steady supply of wood to cut, reliable equipment (truck, trailer, saws, splitter, tools, etc), and a good work ethic. Do you plan on cutting wood by yourself? Is this a part-time thing to supplement your income? What are your plans for finding customers? Also, you need to have a solid business plan including how to efficiently harvest, store, and deliver the wood.

If you plan on selling quality, seasoned firewood this winter, then you need to get started yesterday!

Sounds like a beer money kind of enterprise. I did that for one season. I didn't bother with any licensing or insurance or or or. I scrounged wood, made sure it was seasoned well, priced it competitively and had customers calling me the next year for more after I decided to quit.

The most important thing other than the wood being seasoned is BE THERE when you say you'll be there. If you run into delays, CALL THE CUSTOMER and say so. Don't leave them wondering if you will be there when you're 15 minutes late. Most won't be upset if they know ahead of time that you are delayed. I had one guy that bought a cord from me, ordered another after seeing the first load, and then told me that he was surprised when I showed back up again. He said his experience in the area was that once someone got a few dollars in their hand that they wouldn't be back till the first bit of cash was spent.

1. Sell good seasoned wood and don't short the customer.
2. Do what you say you'll do and be there when you say you'll be there.

Ian

Edit: 3. Don't show up looking like you just crawled out of a ditch after a 3 day drunk. You won't be making multiple deliveries with that Ranger, so show up looking respectable.

Last edited:
a pollon 18" bar chain saw my buddies are going to help me and 1 has a ford ranger

o boy, you are going to need way more than that. that chainsaw is not really made for more than the occasional homeowner use. as far as buddies helping how are they going to be be paid?

you are not going to be able to get much wood in a ranger. i am not a firewood seller but cut wood on a regular basis for myself. at a minimum i like to bring my full size 4x4 pickup with a trailer and at least 2 chainsaws with related fix it on the spot/maintenace tools.

you then have to think about splitting it, stacking to let properly cure and delivery. you need more than a ranger to deliver a proper cord, more like a dump trailer and tow vehicle.

you guys need to split a cheap little 5x8 trailer if you want to make it worth your while, half cord on the ranger, half cord on the trailer. you dont need to go broke with a dump trailer right off the bat, nothing wrong with tossing the wood off into a pile, i can unload a cord by hand in about 15 mins by myself. or i can spend $4k on a dump trailer, for now, id rather sweat for 15 minutes. if you have a buddy helping you the time should be 10 mins or less to hand-unload.
youll have to stack it tight and high to even get a half cord on the ranger, so maybe 3/4 cord on trailer, 1/4 cord on ranger.
if you dont have any seasoned wood right away, advertise green wood, you will be surprised how many people, that normally wouldnt buy so much wood, will stock up on green wood if the price is right.
free advertising on craigslist - sometimes you get some weirdos, but it comes with the territory.
if you ever get any retired men as customers, do the best you can to keep them happy, give them a little more than a cord, and treat them right. retired guys love firewood, and will sometimes buy as much as you can get them. its a hobby to some of them. be nice to all customers, or try, but be extra nice to the guy who mentions hes retired@!
most important, get rid of the wild thang!;)

Last edited:
Often people approach me to sell them firewood and I decline. The extra money would be nice but why would I decline money when I pile firewood well above my needs? First of all, I have no permits. I take wood people offer me like a tree too big to be in a private garden of a house, a tree that fell in a friends yard, someone that needs a tree to be pruned and such. Second, I have no delivery vehicle. I own a private car, a really small one. I transport usually a quarter of a cubic meter of firewood in my car and you can imagine how ridiculous it would be to make multiple trips in a small car to deliver a minimal amount of firewood. Third, no insurance, no professional file, no taxes registration, nothing. Fourth, A chainsaw should be considered as a short range gun. In such case I always try to be with someone while cutting wood. I cannot imagine my self working alone in a hurry to meet firewood demand and injuring my self because of that! If I work with someone else I need to pay his salary, right? Fifth, I have no regular supply of wood.

I thing these are good reasons not to sell firewood as an extra job, right?

If you are starting out with that little equipment try to talk to some of the convience stores that you regularly frequent if its like it is here in NC some of the convience stores sell small bundles of firewood they got to be buying it from somewhere. Also you will need a wood maul and some wedges and a whole lot of determination. Just my 2 cents worth

im

actuly looking for a new cheap saw i dont get paid till the first but im looking for the beast deal on chain saws:greenchainsaw:

Back