How do y'all mark your mixed and straight gasoline cans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Edit: Woops double tap.

Slow day at work, rather bored. What to do? Ask questions about minutia, of course.

In the past, I've just used a sharpie to make big block letters on cans. This time, I'm thinking about making a cardboard MIX stencil, and using spray paint to mark the side of the can. Making the stencil will take a little bit, but once done, the actual marking will take no time. The stencil will be reusable in the future, too.

A buddy has a laser cutter/engraver, and I also thought about bribing him to make me plastic tags to zip tie to the handle.

I'm not a commercial cutter with idiot employees to worry about, so I have the option to only let competent people use my equipment. This is probably key, more than any fuel can marking.

What do you guys do?

All of my fuel cans have a tag that says something like: "Gas 87 Stabil 1-Jun-22" or "Gas 89 2 cycle 50:1 14-Apr-22" or "Diesel 12-May-22" so I can keep track of what I have and rotate it if needed. My tags are just 1/2 of an index card with a punched hole twist-tied to the container.

I tie a tag onto the container. I happen to have some brass sheets from a sealed bid sale or perhaps an auction for pretty much this purpose 2 1/2" x 5" or close to that. Black felt tip pen holds up pretty well.
No ethanol gas
straight gas
two cycle mix which is with the no ethanol gasoline most of the time

I generally use hay baling twine. There are cardboard similar tags that last a while. I guess it depends on if you have others using the gas powered equipment. I am trying to move to only one gallon containers to be used for premix which I read on here and seems a good tactic for my applications. I mix by putting a fat 2.6 oz in the small premix containers into the gallon container with an inch or 2 of gas then fill up. I have some Honda brush cutters that take straight gas so it is common to take both types of containers.

I added a picture, the glare hides my handwriting style., the one gallon container once had a red cardboard tag with a reinforcing gromet of sorts, everyone here should remember it and the fine wire that attached it is still present. The wife only uses battery stuff lately or a four cycle lawn mower.

Attachments

• IMG_20220617_125010.jpg
    IMG_20220617_125010.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back