How do you Answer "Can I borrow your Chainsaw?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but I won't loan anyone a saw but it can be had with me attached for around $600 a tree, I don't carry insurance, don't care if I disturb the whole neighbor hood because of MM's between 9 am and 6 pm and I might take take the bigger stuff and won't rake.

I find that I only do a couple jobs a year but usually for good coin.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sFUzF8qkw9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tell them to get stuffed, mmmwwwaahahahah

I'm with Ferguson. I only loan saws to close friends, and with the strict understanding that they use my fuel and oil, and make ZERO adjustments to the saw. They can give me cash for fuel if they want.

Such a simple and cheap way to go if you're going to loan a saw. Just bought an 026 with my friend that wasn't running and I said, don't put gas in it that you have sitting around (he's inexperienced). I'm like I have ethanol free gas that I have used in saws and just mixed this year, I know it's good. Let me come over and put my gas in it while we figure out this fuel problem. I told him you should probably use ethanol free gas, if you cut very little, it's worth it. I said trust me, I will GLADLY take a gas can, four bucks and a 1 gallon mix from you and fill up at the ethanol free gas station I drive by each day to be assured you won't have ethanol problems haha.

I only let about 4 people I know and trust (the kind that takes the same care, or better of borrowed equipment as their own) use my saws. I just give them the saw, a jug of my mix and oil and have never had any issues. Other people know by now I don't just loan them out to anybody.

Same here... I have a short list of family and very close friends that I loan a saw to now and then and have NEVER had a problem. These people would cover any damage without question and without being asked.

On the other side of the coin, I had a friend/acquaintance ask me if they could borrow one of my saws to flush cut an old large stump in their back yard.

I reluctantly agreed.

He showed up to get the saw and when he walked into my garage he went right for my 372. I said no, and handed him the 136. Glad I did too, as later I learned how rotted and full of general crap, dirt, etc that stump was... Sounded like he had more need of a rototiller than a saw...

I have always been the type to be very reluctant to ask to borrow things from people. Hand tools is one thing, but anything with an engine or very costly I mostly find a way to do without... Guess that's just me.

I only loan high dollar equipment to those who can afford to and will repair or replace it when it is damaged or destroyed.

We have an understanding that we leave each other in as good or better condition than when we borrowed it.

Like a lot of folks have stated...my "loaner" saws come with an operator, no other option. The only exceptions to this are my 2 brothers. But one of them has a bigger collection than i do and the other is getting close so they would most likely never ask. Makes things easy;)

Honestly I don't consider a chainsaw high dollar equipment. $1000 is pretty well a drop in a hat when comparing to heavy logging iron like skidders, bunchers, shovels, etc.

That's not to say that I'm rolling around in money by any means, but I've loaned out my skid steer to folks, a machine that cost me close to 30k (bought it used).

Honestly I don't consider a chainsaw high dollar equipment. $1000 is pretty well a drop in a hat when comparing to heavy logging iron like skidders, bunchers, shovels, etc.

That's not to say that I'm rolling around in money by any means, but I've loaned out my skid steer to folks, a machine that cost me close to 30k (bought it used).

I can definitely understand your position given that comparison of equipment value. Not being an owner of heavy equipment saws are significant investments in my barn and I do everything I can to make them last as long as possible.

Certainly.

I have a pretty short list of folks I trust. I've had a few workers that I relagated to broom and shovel only as they seemed to be able to break an anvil.

I'd loan out a skidder before I'd ever loan out one of my saws.

Latest posts

Back