How do you Answer "Can I borrow your Chainsaw?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loan them an old poulan or whatever runs right and I'd they burn it up it don't cost me much. Of course I go with the saw, with one of my personal saws. I don't mind loaning a tool to a friend if I can afford to lose it. But I go with to teach them how to use it also.

Hard to find guys like that. Home depot rents chainsaws problem solved I also keep my 660 in my basement that way few see it. Less likely to even be asked. Only one preson id say yes to on that one but he has his own 660. And i know how he takes care his. Its way to big to loan out

I don't generally loan out my nice tools! Instead I offer to bring the tool and do that part of the job as a favor to a friend. If I ever borrow something I follow the example my Dad set. He borrowed a John Deere 350 dozer from one of his friends to build a road through the woods. The dozer was in disrepair as it had lots of little problems as a result of neglect. First thing Dad did was pull it into his shop. He serviced it, replaced missing bolts, tightened up loose parts, replaced missing parts, adjusted linkages, etc. Then he went to work and built that road. When he was finished, the machine went back into the shop for another "going-over" and a good cleaning. When he returned it to his friend it looked and operated like new and was full of fuel! His friend told him he could use it again any time he wanted.

I don't know whether this one has been said yet but "never lend your wife or chainsaw, it's guaranteed they will both be returned in the same condition"
Stangst

After reading this I want a couple more poulans to make as loud as possible. Like a mega phone for a exhaust. 20:1 mix for lots of smoke. Maybe they will decline a offer. But for family I will borrow my 10yr sons crapsman 36cc strato it's a good strong runner and cheep

I don't have a problem with loaning out 1 of my David-Bradlys. It never leaves the place. They take a look lift it up and say no thanks.:):lol: Wont let the mac 10-10 leave the place without me with the exeption of 2 good friends whom I know would fix or replace anything that broke. They would also bring it back full of fuel & oil.:)

Yeah sure you can borrow it I mind as much you would as if I asked to borrow your wife. A friend asked me I just said NO but if you need a hand let me know.
Ya I tried that once said he could borrow my saw if I could borrow his wife. Next thing I know she as my door and he is leaving with my saw. Took three weeks to get my saw back!

My saws are a bit like my XR500.. you have to know how to start them to get them to run... For the bike it's "If you can start it you can ride it"

Nope, still am not lending saws out.. If someone really needs a saw I'll give them one! Fix theirs a lot of the time too.

Sometimes folks wander over to ask to borrow a saw while I'm in the garage. I can see the drool start to form on the corners of their mouths as they look at the hardware on display - monster Stihl 090's and 084's, Solo Twin's, Jonsereds XF's, Dolmar 166, Stihl 038 Mag, Stihl 066, etc. And I know they're thinking that they're likely to walk out of my garage with a fire-breathing 7 cube Holy Grail saw that will cause any tree within miles to drop out of fear as soon as it's cranked up.

And then I walk to the opposite side of the garage and grab the green plastic 33 cc Poulan that's waiting patiently on a bottom shelf. It stays ready to go -- clean, running well, fresh chain. And that's the only reason for that saw's existence - to use as a loaner. If they're not a complete d*uchebag, or if I'm feeling especially generous, they get to borrow the larger (but still plastic) yellow muffler modded Poulan "Pro."

Back