How do you deal with all the Splitter Scraps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put them laundry baskets I got cheap at a garage sale, season them with everything else and use them as kindling.

The smaller stuff I leave on the ground to keep the mud down.

I'm using the the bark and sawdust to backfill along part of my driveway that needs support. It's amazing how well the pile compresses in a year or two. Before too long I'll be able to put some topsoil on top of it and plant some grass. No wasting here!

Here are the plastic produce crates. They are similar to milk crates, get used one time to the store, then get smashed into a dumpster. I scored quite a few of them a few years ago, need to get more. They might be available in anyone's area, just ask. Great for scraps and chunks (or other house/shop storage duties, I have a lot of parts saws in some), have full ventilation all around. I got five box from one wheelbarrow full of scraps and chunks.

Attachments

• IMG_20140813_182736.jpg
    IMG_20140813_182736.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 63
Fire pit this evening ate some, I will also use scrap and ugly pieces for the shop heater which doesn't get a fire everyday

I gather them up in buckets, they are a perfect size for my wood cook stove,

standard.jpg

To cook my supper,

standard.jpg

And then, there's desert too,

standard.jpg

Nice for starting fires in my wood furnace too...

SR
That's a sweet stove! Dang, I am hungry :(

I keep some crushed bark around to fill holes in the rainy season when my truck starts to leave ruts.

Anything not usable as decent kindling, gets tarped and then burned in bonfire when summer burn ban is lifted mid Fall.

Sawdust and noodles go to the chicken coop.

I split my chunks down to small pieces that I can handle then I do the rest in my shop where I have heat or A/C the waste I use as land fill. Where I live people are to lazy to come and get it so saves me time just to push it over the hill I have some old customers I sell the knots to cheap across the river

I have a box next to the firepit for uglies and scraps, and I toss them in as needed. Big bark gets burned when we're winding the firepit down for the evening and need something that will burn away fast and keep the last big pieces going.

I build firepit fires in the crosshatch style. A handful of noodles and slivery scraps at the bottom for tinder, maybe a larger scrap for kindling, and often one green piece from the box put on top to help concentrate the heat in the middle of the stack.

Yesterday I filled a an acquaintances 8ft box pickup with splitter scraps and cast offs( and I have more yet), Much as I would have liked to hung on to it all I just have nowhere/ way to store it without spending a bunch of cash which is sorely needed in other areas at present. He was happy as a pig in a wallow, me too as it cleaned up the area nicely. I had thought about trying to sell but considering the mindset of more than a few less than morally upstanding individuals in the metro area why invite possible on going shrinkage problems. ( and that is about as politically correct a statement as there ever was)

Latest posts

Back