how do you haul milling chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john taliaferro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Mtngun ? if you get more chains, how do you keep them sharp and stright. I have been using zip lock bags and it dont work .I figger Mr Bob has a jara box or something cool .

I use the original paper boxes. They go in a codura drill case, just because I had codura drill cases laying around.

Tupperware type boxes, similar to what BobL uses, would probably be ideal.

i though i was here and i was their ,didn't remember clicking your link Bob some really good stuff . Got sharp chain now need to keep it sharp .

I'm storing them in tubes. I've some in pvc tubes, cardboard tubes, and plastic tubes that come from the center of 48" plotter paper. I've tried putting an "S" hook on one end (hook it over end edge of tube) drop it down the tube, and an "S" hook with a rubber band on the other (stretch and hook over other end edge), for when I have to carry them around. I also tried a length of foam pipe insulation that's split down the center. They all seem to work well and NO KINKS. I hate trying to unkink a chain if I don't have to.

View attachment 189755
View attachment 189756

I roll them up and put them i Tupperware containers. A sandwich container will hold up to 135 link chain. I can then write on the containers and put them in my toolbox so it is easy to grab what I want.

Here what I have been working on. Jewelers leather roll, out of leather, havent got it done yet but seems like it should work out pretty well.

Here what I have been working on. Jewelers leather roll, out of leather, havent got it done yet but seems like it should work out pretty well.
my wife just got home from muncey her aunt celebrated 100 blind and lives alone and cooks a good meal . I think i know what you mean by jewelery rool they haul Chains in them. We need pictures when you got time.

my wife just got home from muncey her aunt celebrated 100 blind and lives alone and cooks a good meal . I think i know what you mean by jewelery rool they haul Chains in them. We need pictures when you got time.

See what I can do....Should be perfect, loops at both ends and for ever size chain I have. Holds up pretty small and when open you have the whole inventory at your finger tips.

I roll them up and put them i Tupperware containers. A sandwich container will hold up to 135 link chain. I can then write on the containers and put them in my toolbox so it is easy to grab what I want.

I use plastic type boxes that were on sale when school started back up, they will hold two chains in each box. Sure they rub together a little but I can put the 6-8 plastic containers with me in my milling tote and it the only thing I have to carry besides the saw and mill.

Aaron what is a milling tote

That's just what I call it, its a Stanley Storage/Tool Box one of the larger kinds, has a pull out handle and wheels on it. Its big enough that I can carry everything I need in it to mill and since it has wheels I just put on the ground and pull. I like it because i can keep all my milling needs in there and not have to borrow from it, any tool that is in that box stays in that box, i just had to get duplicates of pliers, etc at rummage sales to keep in it. Since I have to coil the chains up to fit in the plastic boxes I just stack the boxes in the tote.

Its similar to this one.
Amazon.com: Stanley Consumer Storage 029025R 24 Gallon Mobile Chest: Home Improvement

thats nice Aaron it would cure a problem of getting my buckets full of chips cause i put them in the wrong place .Trying to find a carb screwdriver in a bucket full of sharp chain and chips is hazardous for an old coot on blood thinners .

2009-08-21014.jpg

2009-08-21015.jpg

2009-08-21016.jpg

2009-08-21017.jpg

That's all of mine except for the 60" bar and chains. I do most of my milling at my house next to my shop so I can just hang them on a shelf when not in use.

I like the idea of the milling box. I carry one of those five gallon pail tool bags. It works well for me, but I think I can improve what I have. I like the idea of having something on wheels. Good idea.

AaronB - I use one of those rolling tool boxes too. Seems to work pretty well for my needs, though I keep the chain in zip locks or the original boxes. gr8scott72 - You've got a great idea there with those wooden boxes ..... I really like the slots you cut out for the bars and the bolts/pegs for holding the loops.
Lou

Latest posts

Back