How do you haul your saw and gear on your atv?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, no pics yet. I have a gun rack mounted on the front of my ATV that holds 2 long guns. I would set the bar for one saw in each rack (two saws), and then set the gas and oil between them. Worked okay, but it was a pain.

For fathers day, I got one of those four wheeled farm/utility carts that you can get at TSC, Rural King, or Harbor Freight. It is 48" long and 30" wide and rated for 1,000 lbs. I plan on building a box for it and hauling every thing in it. I'll use it to haul my firewood out of the ravines and up to the truck. I figure 4 or 5 trips will make a cord/truck load. The box will break down and lay flat so that it and the cart can fit in truck bed WITH the ATV.

That's my plan anyway. We'll see how it works out.

Here's my setup.
Saw and 100' of rope are attached to the rear rack, snatch blocks,choker chain,pickeroon,tree straps,first aid kit,wedge pouch and chaps
are carried in the rear box. Gas and oil on the rear rack with bungee cord and tools,lunch, camera etc. get put in fender bags.
attachment.php

Capstan winch,rope bag and helmet ride on the front rack.
attachment.php

I just throw the skidding cone over the loading mast on the trailer.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

what do you think that load of wood weighs?

I'll post a picture soon of my ATV pulling my BB90 chipper with a ford 4cyl engine. It's a load.

Stihlman - I had a spare winch and the rear bumper was already setup with a mount so it seemed like a good idea. These Cats are heavy pigs and when you get stuck...you're stuck. Sometimes it's just easier to pull yourself out backwards, it has saved me a lot of grief more than once.

bass on tap - Novajack makes these. I've had it a few years now and use it a lot, other than broken tail light lenses (my fault) I haven't had any issues with it. It only takes a minute to put the box on or take it off, the loading mast has a two speed winch that makes loading heavy logs a breeze.
attachment.php

...and when the hills are too steep (unsafe) for the 4wheeler to pull it, I hook it up to the half ton.
attachment.php

I've got a rear winch on my 01 Cat too.. handy to have. I use mine alot for hauling logs out of the woods. Makes it easier when your on the trail too. you don't have to turn around to help someone behind you.

imgp1755.jpg

That AC rocks. I have a 650 Cat TRV and it comes w/ a box on the back, that you can remove w/ two pins and put on a rack or 2nd seat. I'm loving that trailer and the tracks. What type tracks are those?

chumwithrum ~ There's a good friend to have, :cheers:
WOW, that's some trailer! Never seen or heard of that before, lots of versatility with that combo, excellent choice. What kind of logs are you carrying, is it spruce or pine? Is that loading mast capable of moving to various locations? Is the tongue really shock absorbing? Does the trailer have suspension?
I am on the Lake Huron shoreline, are you perhaps in Eastern Ontario?

bowtech - they're first gen Tatou tracks. I think Camoplast owns that company now. Tracks are awesome on a quad, pretty much go anywhere and way more pulling power than tires. The down side is a bit harder to steer,burn more gas and top speed goes down. I top out around 40-45 mph on hard pack. Oh, and they're pricey.I think i paid 3 grand for them new five years ago, don't know what a set would cost now but I imagine the price went up.

Stihlman - I can't believe how you guys put up with that heat all year. I could handle it for a week or three but not all the time. I'd rather work in -30C than +30C.

727 - they're out of Quebec. http://www.novajack.com/en/0102.htm
I got the capstan winch from them too. There are three positions for the mast - in front for raising the box or winching things into it and on either side of the trailer for loading logs, it just fits in some square tubing.(see pics) The tongue has two stiff springs for shock absorbing, makes pulling the load really smooth and they eat up some of the push, it also swivels 360* in case the trailer rolls over preventing the quad from rolling too.

Logs are pine, pretty much all I burn.
I'm in NW Ont a bit west of Thunder Bay.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

bass_on_tap, Nice looking ride. I was amazed to see how much mine will pull. I parked the 8N the summer and use the 800 for everything.

Atvs are amazing! We had three up north clearing trails on our land and they can pull and go up just about anything. Nice to be able to get out in the woods and have everything you need loaded up on them. We pulled a yard trailer with all the essentials as well.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this tread. I have seen a lot of great options. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I would love to see more. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back