How Do You Hold Your Saw When Starting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
new old subject for the day

and dang i forgot how funny we are.

I will have to say that starting the 6 cube husky has perfected my "drop" start technique. The snappy little 116si had me pointed in the right direction--it now has an osage orange/bodock pull handle. The 7900 has a decomp and starts gently compared to the 116. But snatching around on the 2100 Husky has taken all the questions out of what is going on when the pawls engage.

I was running that one two days ago and then grabbed a 50cc the next day...I 'bout snatched the paint offa the 50. My arms forgot to tone it down any.

and

then

there's this new gal

who likes big old saws:

xxxx.jpg

(now if someone could edit all the city crap out of the image)

Last edited:

For you robust younger guys who only drop start now, just wait, your day is coming when you will look for a less demanding approach.

Mark

My father is 75 and will tell you that drop starting is still the least strenuous way for him to start a saw. You're letting gravity do part of the work for you. Plus for him bending way over or kneeling down to put the saw on the ground and then pull start it in that position is harder on him. My father also believes it is hard on the saw, the clutch specifically, to start a chainsaw with the brake applied because you are intentionally wearing the clutch unnecessarily. My father is a mechanical engineer and has also taught OSHA compliance so he understands both sides of the argument and still feels the way he does.

By drop starting I mean using the left hand on the wrap handle, right hand on the pull rope, and then drop or slightly throw the saw downward while maintaining a firm grip with the left hand and pulling up on the rope sharply with the right hand.

Of all the things I worry about my father still doing at his age -- and cutting all his firewood largely by himself is definitely one of them -- the act of drop starting his saw is by far the least of my concerns.

I personally think this is kind of similar to the no top handle saws on the ground argument. If you are coordinated, know what you are doing, and paying attention then it's not really any more dangerous than many other parts of using a chainsaw. Sure you can get yourself in trouble but you can do that just felling a tree too. If you are a government agency whose job it is to try to protect people from themselves you will recommend or mandate every conceivable way of reducing risk -- even if the risk you are trying to mitigate is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Life is one big exercise in risk management. Nothing is perfectly safe; people die from household accidents all the time. Going out in the woods and cutting down big trees while you stand right next to them is inherently dangerous -- and many on here do it for fun.

Sometimes I think it is amazing you are allowed to cut a tree down by hand with a chainsaw at all anymore. You would think OSHA would mandate the use of a harvester or similar equipment to keep the people a safer distance away. Can you imagine a construction site where you need to demmo a large 100 foot tall tower, light post, vertical steel beam or similar structure where a guy just walks up with some type of saw, cutting torch, plasma arch, etc. yells timber and drops the whole thing over? Of course not, that would never be allowed. Be we do it with trees all the time.

Having said all this, if your work requires you to abide by certain safety rules then so be it. I have to know and follow all kinds of rules at work that wouldn't be necessary if everybody used a little more common sense (and integrity but that's a whole 'nother issue). Out side of work I have more leeway to choose how I assume risk. I'm probably more cautions than the average person on here but drop starting a saw is not something I worry about.

-Eric

Last edited:
Back