How do you keep your firewood indoors?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndeereg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Was wondering how you all store some firewood inside your house? I was going to try and keep a few days worth if possible so it gets a little drier. I was thinking of building a wood box type of thing on caster wheels that I could roll to the door to keep the floor cleaner. How do you guys store wood inside?

I store about a days worth inside, mainly out of space concerns. But outside I have a wood rack that I built out of 2x4's that'll hold almost 4 days worth of wood. The nice thing about that is, is that the awning of the house covers it, so unless it's snowing sideways it stays pretty much untouched.

I don't think I'd want to keep very much inside the house. There could be small insects (spiders or ants ) that could crawl out into the house. I keep about 1/3 of a cord stacked right on the front porch and bring in what I need at that time.

Nosmo - 997

I have this wood rack by back door under roof overhang. It holds about 1/3 cord. For the house, I have a large canvas carrier that I load for the stove. I recently modified my wood rack. It had rubber casters and would not roll too good even when lightly loaded. I put some steel casters on it and what a difference. It rolls easy now. I also added a center rail to top and bottom. For loading, I roll it to the edge of my back patio and load from my FEL. The top holds starter wood the bottom splits and logs.

The picture was taken when I started the mod. The new casters are on and I was getting ready to cut the new rails. It turned out to be a miserable day to work. Rain was coming and I had a bad forecast. Rain arrived in morning instead of afternoon. I had to load everything on my loader forks and move it to the barn for welding. Rain started at 10:00AM for the rest of the day. Just a mess. Then, when done, I had to move the rack back to the house and load with wood. By that time it was raining good. I finished at noon. It would have been a good day if the forecast had been accurate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 85
I have an attached garage that I keep a weeks worth of wood in, and I keep about a two day's worth of wood next to the stove.

Attached garage here as well. Been lazy getting the space cleaned out so only keeping about 10 days worth or so. Most times I keep closer to a month and never seem to have any extra critters around.

I have a rack near the back door that holds about 1 weeks worth. I keep maybe a day or two's worth inside, in a 2' wide x 4' high rack near the stove. I bring it into the house using one of those 2 wheel firewood carriers, which keeps the mess down.

Wood goes from the stacks out back into the 4x6 firewooding trailer which then gets parked in the attached heated garage. It'll hold between 6-8 days worth of wood.

I put a enough in the basement to (hopefully) last all winter. This year I "guessed" at 'round 5 cord, but I didn't figure on all this early cold weather... if'n it stays cold I'll likely need another cord, maybe 1½. In the past I've had as much as 7½ cord in the basement by mid-October... I've never had any problem with bugs in the house. I do put some rat bait behind the stacks just in case and I'll usually find one or two dead mice in the stacks over the season. The mice don't come in with the firewood and would've found their way into this old farm house whether-or-not there was wood stacks, but rather than make their home in the walls or cupboard, the stacks just attract them and that's where the bait is. With the "baited" basement wood stacks I never find evidence of them anywhere else in the house.

Oh, by-the-way... I don't know how many BTU's in a mouse, but they turn to ash just like firewood does.

I'm surprised many keep a huge stash in the house as I'd be concerned about insects etc.. I keep a days worth near the stove but the wood shed is close to the cabin, luckily.

BTU's in a mouse? That's a good one! Time for another experiment?

I have twos racks, one on either side of the insert. Each holds a little over a days worth which is about a heavy wheelbarrow full(one of the big 2 wheeled jobbers). I alternate use so that if there is any snow or rain, the wood has time to dry out. I also have a 1/3 cord rack out on the deck at the back door (about 30 feet from the fire) That I keep loaded for crappy weather or when I don't feel like treking to the stacks.

Never had a problem with hitch hikers coming in on the wood. Once it's split and dry, the bugs want nothing to do with it. The occasional wolf spider might ride in but they don't harm anything and do a great job of getting rid of other nasties. Either way, they are fairly prevalent around here so the few that hitch a ride join the ones already in.

I'm on the same page as Spidey (shudder) on this one.

Put my winters worth in the basement right beside the boiler. This is the 18th year of doing so.

Or at least it's always been a winters worth. This one is starting out with a heavy hit. Have some reserve outside but plan to not touch it until next fall - but at least it's there if needed.

PICT4167.JPG I have a 9x13 room dedicated to wood storage in the basement right across from the furnace. Open the window, toss the wood down and stack. I can fit 5 1/2 cords down there which should be enough to get me thru a normal winter.

I stack mine up around the stove.

wood-storage.jpg

JT

My stove uses wood so slowly, the inside stacks are enough for 'bout a month. When I bring it in, it's around 15% MC; when it goes into the stove, the MC is so low, it's meaningless.
It comes in as 16-inchers; bandsaw makes them into 8-inchers. Couple of really basic racks on either side of stove hold most of it; on coming in, it spends a few days inches from stove-sides. IR thermometer spots temp rise/MC drop.
Little hitch-hikers don't seem to ride it indoors. Not a paranoid about that. Really like DRY fuel-wood.

No wood gets stored inside. My add-on is on the lowest level of the house in the utility room. There is a window next to it that is normal height on the inside and ground level on the outside. Wood gets stacked outside on a concrete pad. When it's time to load the furnace, you slide the window open, grab some wood, turn 90 degrees and toss it into the firebox. Worst I have to do is sweep the floor once a day or so. Never had any bugs or critters in the house, ever.

i'd be nervous with my wood that close to the stove.

Nervous? NO. Careful and attentive? Darn straight. One thing I was pointing to was that the face of the wood nearest the stove heats up as the moisture is driven out. Monitoring that, when it's time (temps above 200 F) I move the sticks away, facing the opposite side toward the stove. Works great. Water is a lousy fuel, but it makes life much better for sinuses.
I may have misunderstood which wood you meant. :D

Back