How do you organize your stuff?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All good suggestions, thanks everyone! I'm going to try the ziplocs for the chains right away. I have an ammo box I'm going to try. The soft, large mouth tool bag works okay, but sometimes the wood shifts and can crunch whatever is in it.

I like the idea of a shelf/headache rack. I'm getting a lumber rack soon and could incorporate the shelf into the rack.

I just throw everything in a backpack. The bar oil is in a liter pop bottle tied to a 1 gallon gas jug so you can throw it over your shoulder and it will be a little bit balanced. The backpack takes some of the weight of the saw, when carrying the saw over shoulder. I can also easily move the backpack between rigs and use it for work or recreational cutting of firewood. Splitting maul and axe get thrown in the pickup bed. The saw gets put in a truck box. Martha Stewart would probably frown on my organizational skills.

What I do is buy "duplicate" tools for some things. Like I have a hammer in the house and another hammer in my shed. So if I am in the house and need a hammer, well there it is.

And I do the same with my chainsaw stuff. I have a separate large tool box for just chainsaw stuff. In this tool box is *everything* I need for my chainsaws including tools, spare chains (in baggies), files, depth gauges, magic marker, old toothbrush for cleaning, and a few spare parts for saws.

Some of the tools in my chainsaw tool box are "duplicates", meaning that I have duplicates of the same tools elsewhere. By having duplicates in the tool box, I don't ever need to remove any tools from the chainsaw tool box when doing any other work. So these tools stay in the chainsaw tool box! And when I grab the chainsaw tool box, I know everything I need is in there.

So costs a bit to get duplicate tools, but saves a lot of time hunting and searching for this or that. Plus you will not be a zillion miles up in the woods and suddenly need a certain tool and realize you did not bring it with you.

. For the gas and oil, I save soda pop bottles, I KNOW THIS SOUNDS CRAZY, but I fill up like 3 or 4 of each with mixed gas and oil, each one is about a tank in a big saw. This saves me spilling gas all over from the damned leaky cans. And they fit in the toolbox also. :cheers:

That sounds like a good working idea. I seldom drink soda out of bottles so there is a minimal chance that I would take a swig of the stuff by accident!

Of course this probably breaks some Federal law so don't let the Gas Police catch you! (grin) :)

Depends..

Usually in an old tool box...

attachment.php

Oh no this one shows the dreaded much hated on this site dremel that I love to use...

attachment.php

or a duffel bag or pack sack, just depends.

attachment.php

What I do is buy "duplicate" tools for some things. Like I have a hammer in the house and another hammer in my shed. So if I am in the house and need a hammer, well there it is.

And I do the same with my chainsaw stuff. I have a separate large tool box for just chainsaw stuff. In this tool box is *everything* I need for my chainsaws including tools, spare chains (in baggies), files, depth gauges, magic marker, old toothbrush for cleaning, and a few spare parts for saws.

Some of the tools in my chainsaw tool box are "duplicates", meaning that I have duplicates of the same tools elsewhere. By having duplicates in the tool box, I don't ever need to remove any tools from the chainsaw tool box when doing any other work. So these tools stay in the chainsaw tool box! And when I grab the chainsaw tool box, I know everything I need is in there.

So costs a bit to get duplicate tools, but saves a lot of time hunting and searching for this or that. Plus you will not be a zillion miles up in the woods and suddenly need a certain tool and realize you did not bring it with you.

+10
Nothing worst than driving 30 miles to cut and come time to re-tension your chain , remembering you left your scrence on the workbench in the shop.

I've posted this before, but here's mine again:

54_01_10_07_1_33_47.JPG

I made it out of a bit of leftover oak. I've got chains for pretty much everything, mix oil and tools. I don't carry it with me into the woods, but it will be in the Land Rover, so pretty close by.

I agree completely, I do the same thing when Jeeping. "I'd rather be looking at it than for it." Rep'd you for that.

I've posted this before, but here's mine again:

54_01_10_07_1_33_47.JPG

I made it out of a bit of leftover oak. I've got chains for pretty much everything, mix oil and tools. I don't carry it with me into the woods, but it will be in the Land Rover, so pretty close by.

Now THAT is organized! The chain boxes fit perfectly, probably also helps the boxes last longer too. I like that a lot!

Some of you guys are amazingly organized. Other than a compartmented saw-tool box I just kind of throw stuff in the back of the pickup. I have an old milk crate for wedges and gas/oil jugs.
One thing to think about...If you have to rummage around in your pickup or saw box for a few minutes to find whatever you need, it's a great excuse to take a short break. As in "Me? Tired? Hell no, I just can't find that carb adjuster screwdriver. Keep piling brush and I'll be there in a minute". Sometimes this even works.

;)

If I was doing it again, I'd make the slots a bit longer. The boxes fit perfectly, but there is not enough room to get a finger in to fish them out.

Do you guys mind if I Frankenstein this thread? I'd like to see how you old timers keep your stuff straight. I'll take a pic of my Bronco later. I'm in my mason dump now.

I get cheap dollar store containers to hold the chains. They go into a bigger toolbox with my files, extra plugs, tools etc... For the gas and oil, I save soda pop bottles, I KNOW THIS SOUNDS CRAZY, but I fill up like 3 or 4 of each with mixed gas and oil, each one is about a tank in a big saw. This saves me spilling gas all over from the damned leaky cans. And they fit in the toolbox also. I also carry extra chain links in the box in case I break a chain, pulling chains not chainsaw chains. And MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! Go to Wal-mart and get a first aid kit to throw in there also... :cheers:

I thought gas/oil or just plain gas melts the soda bottles and the like? Fuel containers and engine fuel tanks the exceptation.

I used a small plastic container to let a small amount of fuel drip out of a fuel line from a lawnmower, a min later I notice the fuel is gone...it melted the bottom rim off of it.

It's the kind where you get won-tong soup in when getting chinese takeout food.

Latest posts

Back