how do you transport your wood out of the forest?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that looks fake almost like it should be on one of those tiny scale layouts, i would like to see the video of that truck driving out of there. priceless.

like gologit said it's real go over to the f&l forum and look up centennial log and see most of the pic's i posted. some times it's hard for people to wrap there heads around how big these tree's were and still are . redwood , sequoia, dougfir, spruce. and so on. and the men that harvested them. which there are a few that are members here. real men as far as i'm concerned .;)

I think it's real but I also think they are anticipating that truck needing some help from at least one of the dozers. It looks like they already have a cable and maybe a snatch block hooked to the front of it.

-Eric

What gave you your first clue pilgrim???? LOLOL!!! Yeah yer pretty well right,,, I'm betting that cat's winch line and blade is gonna play a big part of gettin that OG Spar and hauler out of tha bush and on a real road,,,

It's real. There are more pictures in that series and they show the truck being pulled and pushed. Look at the tow bridle on the front bumper.
That was a common load in those days. There was usually nothing that would lift a log that heavy so they'd cut a ramp with the dozer, back the truck down real close alongside the ramp, and roll the log on. No big deal.

You never had to do any of that sort of thing did ya??? Bob!!!!! AKA: Google-logit!!!!!

Last edited:
a> is courtesy of TripAdvisor

For a sense of scale, look at the threshing machine across the track.

What gave you your first clue pilgrim???? LOLOL!!! Yeah yer pretty well right,,, I'm betting that cat's winch line and blade is gonna play a big part of gettin that OG Spar and hauler out of tha bush and on a real road,,,

You never had to do any of that sort of thing did ya??? Bob!!!!! AKA: Google-logit!!!!!

When I worked in timber that big I was usually falling. My job was relatively simple...just get the wood on the ground without busting it up and where somebody could grab one end of it .

The guys that had to load that stuff were the real wizards. Look at the little blocks on the end of the bunks...they're called cheese-blocks. Imagine pulling a log with two dozers and maybe one pulling just a little more than the other and the log either jumping the block or hitting it hard enough to turn the truck over. It took a fine touch and a some good guys to do what they did. All those big logs weren't worth a plain nickle until they got them to the mill. The loaders made that happen.

had these on my last truck View attachment 222711
222711d1328754808-tire-jpg

Doesn't really make any differance once you break through the frozen ground in to the mud.:bang: Just have to get out the axe and cut a slope back up on top. Was backing up the trailer to the big rounds when I broke through here. Cut in front and behind the tires and rocked it out.
These are pretty new tires but will be replaced with better ones eventually.

I have those on my Cherokee and they seem to do well. I hadn't seen or heard of them before I got them but that was what the place across the street could get me the best deal on in a 235/85-16 MT. They're fairly quiet for as aggressive a tread pattern as they have. They get noisy every time I rotate them but then they quite right back down again.

-Eric

That is a big log to tip that 988, they were a big loader in their day. They used a couple of those to clear roads where i lived during the 78 blizzard. Thanks for the pics by the way.

Tree cutting looks a whole lot different on the west coast. I have cut with an 090 but I can't imagine using one up in a tree. You west coasters are real animals.

That is a big log to tip that 988, they were a big loader in their day. They used a couple of those to clear roads where i lived during the 78 blizzard. Thanks for the pics by the way.

The Loaderman got it off the ground and they backed the truck under it, that kinda thing happened on a daily basis.

Tree cutting looks a whole lot different on the west coast. I have cut with an 090 but I can't imagine using one up in a tree. You west coasters are real animals.

We aren't any different from anyone else and really didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary, it is what it is, a job. Well that isn't entirely true. I knew I was given an extraordinary opportunity when I was accepted to receive the classic, old school formal training by a Master Faller. I worked like a galley slave for 50 bucks a day and lunch. The experience was beyond value.

Latest posts

Back