How Early Is Too Early

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rguseman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys quick etiquette question. Friends of ours are building a house and when the contractor cleared the lot they took 5 or 6 trees down and left them there. They have been offered to me so we are planning to cut them up and haul them away tomorrow. Houses in the subdivision are not on top of each other but there are several close enough to be able to hear the saw(s). With my property I can fire up a saw at 7:00am and nobody is close enough to care so I never really had think about proper etiquette How early is too early?

I don't think 7 am is too early but I do get up every morning at 5am. Although on a weekends people do tend to sleep in a bit. Have fun regardless

Thanks guys. I was kind of figuring between 8 and 9. Like some of you, I'm up by 5:30 or 6:00am so I kind of think everybody else should be too:hmm3grin2orange:

if it were me id wait till after 9. i dont go make noise any earlier than that, well unless its payback noise lol.

Payback noise---that reminds me of my college days, at forestry school, the guys would stay up partying until 1-2am, there was a older guy who had been in the army who didn't party, the dorm was cinder block with steel I beams and he would get up at 5am and bang on the steel beams with his surveyors sledge. Talk about payback noise!

lol nice. i get up at 3:50 6 days a week and get home at 6. so i know what early is.

when i lived at home my dads neighbor was a punk ass kid who partied all night. so my dad would get up wait till 7am when the kid was finally trying to go to sleep. then hed take the mower and go as close to the guys window as he could (which was prolly 20ft if that) fill it full of gas and let it rip full throttle till it ran dry. he told me hed sit on the porch and watch, siad the kid was throwing #### slamming the window all kindas of stupid ####. lol serves him right. he only did it one other time after that and he recieved the same lawn mower treatment.

Here , it is 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM. Before or after can get the police called for a noise ordinance violation. There maybe covenants in place the contractor is aware of, you might check with him to see what is kosher for the area.

If I had to be there bright and early I would try to be onsite by 7:00 AM and give it a couple of minutes then let'er rip. Any later than that and you are burning daylight.

Good score, get more.

Be polite

Just remember your buddy will be living there, so you don't want to put him behind the 8 ball with the new neighbors. Weekdays 7AM at the earliest. Sat 8AM .Sunday wait at least until 9AM. I think these times are a good compromise both sides would have a difficult time argueing with:cheers:

Last edited:
City I work in has ordinance for 8am . Ive seen contractors get shut down for making noise before and neighbors complaining. 8 sounds good to me.:)

I vote for 9AM also... mostly for the sake he has to 'live' with these neighbors for years to come...

Out here in the country, we get up at 5AM and start with the chores... but those city slickers usually like to sleep in.

Work is Work

and disturbing the peace is a crime.

Here in North Dakota there is no time limit on disturbing the peace you can be charged with disturbing the peace any hour of the day.

There are statutes, if your going to start before 8am in a neighborhood setting you may need a permit, some don't allow work to be done on Saturday and Sunday.

I like to go the good neighbor policy after 10:am and stop before dinner.

But then again, work is work and work needs to get done, sometimes work can't wait and getting work done is in good order, be it early or late just don't dilly dally around..

A person never knows the living situation that exists in a house, could be a third shifter, elderly who is ill, infants with ear infections, or psychological issues, migraine sufferer, etc....

I've gone so far as to send a postcard or leave a note on the door as a heads up to the timeframe of disturbing work. People are always thankful for the notice.
:cheers:

if it were me id wait till after 9. i dont go make noise any earlier than that, well unless its payback noise lol.

Ah, the memories. These newer 6.0 chevy engines are LOUD, especially with the right exhaust...unfortunately it developed a leak and I talked myself into getting a more "grownup" subdued muffler.

We have about 5 neighbors that are 'close' and 1 lady across the road was always giving us hell. Felt good to slip into neutral every now and then.:chainsaw:

Most local tree crews get on site around 0730-0800 to get ropes/cranes set, and set to work by 0830. This seems fair to all involved.

:agree2: Anything after 8 seems civil to me. Can't wait too long to get started otherwise you'll run into someone wanting you to shut it down in the evening.

Well if Officer Friendly drops by to tell me to shut it down, I'll let you know. The goal is to be home in time watch some football. That's all I have left since the Brewers have disappeared.

Latest posts

Back