How far a drive to cut wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are in the middle of our 160- acres. so dont have to go too far... we are pushing a trail into the ''back'' 40, lots of blow downs there.....

john

Not Green

icreek are you already getting leaves on your trees down there in missouri?!?!?

No, that is a picture from the spring or real early summer last year. Just wanted to show how close the woods are. Everything is still brown and no leaves here in Mid Missouri, even though it is suppose to be 70 tomorrow, and then back to the 30s for Monday.

Last edited:
Some lucky folks can just walk out their door to get wood, but for me - I won't measure the dollars so much as I LIKE getting free heat for a bit of work, a saw and time. We'll gather red oak or better 45 miles away (if free) but wouldn't go that far for common maple or less. Though beggars can't be choosers, even this scavenger has limits.

I have 337 acres and unfortunately it is about 3 miles from my house which means I just can't go out my back door and get it. I have to load up and drive. It also means that if I want to take the skid loader, I have to haul it there. I can't leave it at my property because the kids on atv and bikes would surely destroy it. I end up not taking it most of the time. I usually use my Rhino and a trailer to get my wood back to the truck.

Last edited:
Ooop's Full size truck my gas mileage should have gave that away lol. If it is just a wood trip I load up the 8' truck bed well past the box rails I have a canopy on it and stuff the saw's in usually the saw's are touching the roof. I also take the trailer a small home made one with tall sides 3' high x 5.5'x just shy of 8'. With 3500lb axle and brakes.

Good thread because it's becoming more and more relevant.:cheers:

Good idea taking a trailor along. It's usually about a 25-30 miles (one way) for me to get to wherever we've been cutting and take a load. My old Ranger will only haul about a half cord at a time though. I usually go on sat mornings and take my neighbor along with his Chevy 1/2 ton. He's an old timer Logger up here and was on some of the last river log drives in the early 60's. He also skidded with horses back in the day. He's lost a leg too diabetes, so I'll usually get my truck loaded and then help him load his. It's a better workout than going too the gym and I get something for the effort.:clap: The way things are going though, it's gonna be further and further a drive and after a while, I'm thinking a trailor will make it more economic. It can be slim pickings sometimes with just a few muddy logs from the bottom of a skid to pullout and buck, or in a good situation a pile of crookeds that wouldn't go through the chipper fast enough. It's deffo getting tougher though as more people are starting to use or going back too wood.:greenchainsaw:

Shed

I have 337 acres and unfortunately it is about 3 miles from my house which means I just can't go out my back door and get it. I have to load up and drive. It also means that if I want to take the skid loader, I have to haul it there. I can't leave it at my property because the kids on atv and bikes would surely destroy it. I end up not taking it most of the time. I usually use my Rhino and a trailer to get my wood back to the truck.

Hydro you need a shed, Like an old truck box,. Long enough to back the skidder in and still have room for Stuff,..Gas cans, chains, and Stuff, Eric

I hop on the tractor and head for the bottoms below our house or cut on the high ground that makes up most of our place. Not over 1/2 - 3/8 mile round trip. Do it all on the tractor.

HICKORYLOAD.jpg

DSC01287.jpg

probably 30miles one way is my limit depending if i trust the person giving me the wood or not...don't want to drive all that way for some sticks and twigs....

Stew

Man I feel for some of you. I have never traveled more than 10 miles round trip. I have hedge wood within 60 yards. And wildlife to boot.

my drive

Tennessee valley authority dumps some wood on me and the local power company dumps wood on my cutting spot . Both of them have a government lock on the gate , actually they use the same lock . I open up the gate to the farm and drive 75 feet . Whew ! I know thats a long way but what is a man to do ?

They bring about a tandem load about once a month . I keep it caught up too . I buck it up one week end . The next few weeks I split .Helps me out alot because I am traveling all week working out of town .

Back