How far away is your wood cutting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How far do you normally drive one way to cut firewood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unfortunately the bush is completely surrounded by crop land and the only time I can get in the bush is in the winter when crops are covered or frozen and the couple of hours between harvest and planting. The land is owned by a huge company now, they run 5 or 6 combines and during certain crop rotations they plant right behind the combines. I'm planning to cut everything I can in the winter, stockpile it as logs and then haul out when the snow is gone and the ground is still frozen. At least that's my plan the weather might have a different idea. I have the equipment to do it that way.

I live in a forest area with people having big lots with too many trees,
not being able to cope with them themselves, so I have my lifes supply
of firewood within a few minute walking distance - I have invested in a
lot of equipment, not only saws but also winsches etc, but still eletricity
prices in Sweden are so high that I will at least break even when I die
(if I do nor buy any more stuff, that is ... :) ).

Well mother nature added 4-5 more inches of snow to the misery index.

That's sort of what I do. The right equipment makes all the difference in the world. My cutting areas are surrounded by cropland so my window to get wood out is a couple weeks in the fall and spring weather/mud permitting. In the fall, I fell and pile logs. In the winter i work up the tops I can get to, single trees, or work up piles at home. Then in the spring I haul everything in and stack it. I can work at it at my pace once it's home. I am going to stack on skids in the woods this year to see if it speeds thing up.

Closest ever was 11 miles one way, longest 31. Those two were for clear cutting big old black locust at old farmsteads. I try to keep with 15 miles one way. No forests out here. It was originally all grassland with willow, pine, spruce in the bottoms. Any good hardwood one comes by is from what the settlers imported and planted.

Harry K

Cheese, 2 years ago we had enough wood cut and split and the trees had been down for 4 years so it was starting to rot. We decided to drag everything we could to a couple central locations and stack logs up on rotten logs. Last fall when it was dry we hauled logs home using dump trailers, log hauling trailers and my dump truck. I also cut a bunch into rounds in the pile and hauled them home to split. Worked out well but never really saved much time. This will be my 1st time cutting in this bush since I was 10 years old. The wood for the house I live in now came from this bush. My Dad and brothers cut the trees down, hauled them out with our tractors, hauled them to the sawmill and on the weekends we cut the logs into lumber. By spring we had the house built and to this day I have to deal with the fact that the lumber was green as grass when we used it to build the house. My barn was also built with lumber that we cut down and milled up, it was a pine plantation bush though, we bought standing logs thru the Ministry.

I cut in one woodlot that is surrounded by bottom land. It floods every year so in the fall I usually pop in cut the dead stuff and pile the logs, cut the tops during the winter, and then in the spring just before the farmer plants it I go in and haul everything home. 17 cords in 2 days last spring. I load with a Bobcat and haul with a skidlsteer trailer and rollback tow truck.

I finally got to the bush, about 10 hours and 2 tanks of fuel in the tractor. When I got there the bush is 5' deep of snow, so much for that idea. There was a bunch of standing dead stuff on the fenceline so I cut em down and hauled em out. I'm heating my house with wood my grandpa played in as a kid. IMG-20140213-00710.jpg IMG-20140213-00711.jpg IMG-20140213-00715.jpg IMG-20140213-00715.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20140213-00721.jpg
    IMG-20140213-00721.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
Driveway is a big loop.

Log yard is one one part of the loop.
IMG_0954640x480.jpg

It takes various forms depending on the year. This was dumped out of a dump truck. This year it's nice and pretty with 26 cords set nice and neat from a log truck.

Then it's moved up by the shop/stove house to be cut/split/stacked in one way shape or form.

Late season scrounging is in the woods around the house. Just take out wheeler and wagon and cut up blowdowns.

This is behind the house.
wagon2.jpg

[quote="cantoo, post: 4696906, member: 1808"
Any idea what kind of wood it is? I thought it would be elm but some looks and splits like cherry but they are way too big. The trees are at least 48" at the base, I cut them up about 4' high at the splits.[/quote]Some kind of soft maple? Beech?

Driveway is a big loop.

Log yard is one one part of the loop.

It takes various forms depending on the year. This was dumped out of a dump truck. This year it's nice and pretty with 26 cords set nice and neat from a log truck.

Then it's moved up by the shop/stove house to be cut/split/stacked in one way shape or form.

Late season scrounging is in the woods around the house. Just take out wheeler and wagon and cut up blowdowns.

This is behind the house.

Dump trucks! Tracked skidsteer! That's cheatin! hahahaha

I have a compact all terrain two boot drive dual grapple cut load dump split and autostack processor setup I use...

[quote="cantoo, post: 4696906, member: 1808
Any idea what kind of wood it is? I thought it would be elm but some looks and splits like cherry but they are way too big. The trees are at least 48" at the base, I cut them up about 4' high at the splits.[/quote]
Looks like red elm to me.

Dump trucks! Tracked skidsteer! That's cheatin! hahahaha

I have a compact all terrain two boot drive dual grapple cut load dump split and autostack processor setup I use...

Actually Zog,

If my neighbor's plan comes together this year, moving from logpile/cutting/splitting will be all done from the skidsteer.

One doing the transporting and cutting; the other doing the splitting using a hopper design splitter that the rounds drop into after being cut from the other skid steer.

Only physically handling will be stacking piles.

The moving and sawing part is almost sewed up. We have had a prototype attachment here a few times and that was an utter lifesaver. This was less than an hour of cutting with it.
7E90C529-31B3-4D93-9669-704C4E824282_zpsl5exmm0m.jpg

I only had to do splitting if needed. It looks like we might be getting the prototype once it goes into production this summer. Life will be good.

Actually Zog,

If my neighbor's plan comes together this year, moving from logpile/cutting/splitting will be all done from the skidsteer.

One doing the transporting and cutting; the other doing the splitting using a hopper design splitter that the rounds drop into after being cut from the other skid steer.

Only physically handling will be stacking piles.

The moving and sawing part is almost sewed up. We have had a prototype attachment here a few times and that was an utter lifesaver. This was less than an hour of cutting with it.
7E90C529-31B3-4D93-9669-704C4E824282_zpsl5exmm0m.jpg

I only had to do splitting if needed. It looks like we might be getting the prototype once it goes into production this summer. Life will be good.

That'll work!

Back