How far do you go on this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tons of 2 man chain saws but last Fall I just to had to buy another. After 48 years in business our Stihl dealer closed down due to the damn. box stores. They auctioned off their stuff. Many years ago that had been McCulloch dealers. For years they had a restored Mac 5-49 2 man on display. When the owner saw me hauling it to the truck he said "oh you bought that ". I said "hell ya Steve, I seen it for years so what is one more"

will-ferrell-cowbell.gif

Exactly, how do you charge for this without taking the customer? Do the minimum diag. Then send it home.

If it is a customer saw, the customer needs to learn how to work on saws.
No way you can justify pouring hours into this thing to MAYBE get it running- when that time could be spent doing productive repairs.

Be honest and tell them if it pops on mix and runs the hours spent to keep it running will not justify the cost to even make it idol well let alone cut. They need to understand it it so old this becomes a restoration project not a cool toy until that is done first. Get real and ask what the budget is before you pour mix down the carb for a test fire attempt. 300 is decent starting point for rubber bits if the rest is sound. That was with labor if parts come in near 50.
This is my best guess and how things went before that stuff stopped coming here long long ago. The bolts might all be there and come right out. Outboard engines are much worse most times.

It is a 99 which is generally the most desirable 2 man in the McCulloch line. It has a nice grease film on it so it has been stored fairly well. The fuel primer button is present so that is a big plus. The pic does not show if the fuel shutoff knob is present.

If he/she wants you to work on it the take a few minutes to do the simple things.
Pull the fuel and oil tank caps and look for corrosion. If they are corroded that is bad, very bad.
Pull the plug and pull it over checking if the recoil is working well. If not that is bad
Pull it over and check for spark.
If it has hot spark, solid compression, good working recoil, and all essential parts present then it is a worthwhile endeavor.
Do all this in his/her presence.
If he/she wants to move forward then tell them to take it back home clean it up pull the bar but NOT the gearbox and bring it back.
Give them a price for 2 hours of labor and go from there

Latest posts

Back