how high do you work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlcuts

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
so today i was removing some hangers in a 150ft fir and i realized i haven't worked below 60 feet or so in a while. im in the central coast of cali and most everything is over 100ft. im a relative newb to climbing and i tell you what, its hard enough gettin used to climbing and rigging in small trees. i cant seem to get a break. everydays lesson has to be learned at close to 100ft in a red or fir. when i work on smaller oaks, madrones, bays, and the like its a breeze now.
anyway it got me thinkin. how high do most of you work on a daily basis?

High as a fackin kite on weekends!
Just kidding.

I live in Utah so to actually work above '70 or 80' is rare. We have 150' connies in the wild, but no reason to climb them. Most of the removals I do take take me no higher than 40 or 50 on a good day. Got to 50' in a poplar today, that was on 5" stems, swaying in the breeze.

Last edited:
We very rarely get into something taller than 100ft, most of the time its 60-80. Our trees don't get to tall, but get massive canopy's and huge wood. Most of our town was built in the 60's and 70's when the factory's where booming, so alot of trees haven't reached their potential.

It rare for me to climb trees over a 100ft down here in the flat lands, but then I work up the mountain I get into 100+ft pretty regular.
Still I don't think Iv'e climbed anything over 150 ft in my life. Did a 140ft pine removal a few months ago.
Being up a tall tree is cool, but a 90ft decurrent tree will work you and is way more of a challenge then a 140ft conifer. IMHO
I'd like to climb a 300footer one of these days, better yet a tall tower. I like being scared.

I have always wondered about those towers, how much they sway, how tight it is up there. Big kuhunas to get up there!

I rarely work above 65' where I am located now as our average tree is around 65'. I climb on 150' line ddrt and have only ran out of line to come down on a few times in the 10 years I have worked here. Always in either a large cottonwood or pecan. I did do a huge dead red oak in our historical district that I estimated at 110'

I would climb above 75' several times a week where I learned to climb and worked in the south. I did a tulip poplar that we estimated to be 140' in the south and would do 100' pines on a daily basis. If I still worked in that area I would invest in a 200' climb line but here I rarely need all of the 150' that I climb on.

so today i was removing some hangers in a 150ft fir and i realized i haven't worked below 60 feet or so in a while. im in the central coast of cali and most everything is over 100ft. im a relative newb to climbing and i tell you what, its hard enough gettin used to climbing and rigging in small trees. i cant seem to get a break. everydays lesson has to be learned at close to 100ft in a red or fir. when i work on smaller oaks, madrones, bays, and the like its a breeze now.
anyway it got me thinkin. how high do most of you work on a daily basis?

Nothing that high here, the odd one 90-100'. You should have legs the size of tree trunks!

I have always wondered about those towers, how much they sway, how tight it is up there. Big kuhunas to get up there!

I bet your back pockets would be touching, thats for sure. Though Higher, they probably sway less then a 90 ft skinny palm, with a lean. When i have climb them, I keep telling my self," they don't break, They don't break", I chant that in my mind all the way up. Them towers don't fall over either, so I would just use the same chant if need be.
I don't know if I would be comfortable climbing a tall chimmity with ladders lashed on it. My hats off to Mr dibnah. The end of an era with his passing.

The big ones sway quite a bit. I was checking out some reds today that i will be taking out. They moved about six feet in just a light breeze. They are probably 120ft. I took out some big limbs in a big fir yesterday. I had to swing from another tree to get in it because my flip wouldnt fit around it. Then coming down from a little over halfway up i ran out of rope about twenty feet from the bottom. Went to dig my spurs i and i remembered my flipline still didnt reach. Had to tie my rope back in to get down.

I did an 80' Jeffrey pine a few weeks ago in the breeze. I felt like I was swaying for the rest of the day. I walked like a drunk for a few hours. From where the top came out (55-60') it probably moved 2 or 3 feet. It's kinda eery at first but you get over it in short order once you start cutting.

I never smoke more than 3 joints before work , because at that point I am pretty high , ya know when your mouth is dry your pretty high ...:msp_biggrin:

Never high enough.........:D

Working worth some big cranes doing hurricanes (120 - 200 ton), I've rode over 200' up, while hanging upside down. WAY too cool.

Pictures.....?

LXT..............

50' or 60' is average for me! I used to do about 100' every day at my old job.. I can't say I miss those extra 40 feet!

So I'll get in here with my two cents. Up in Washington we do get trees in the 200's in the woods, that is real and regular. We work in trees in the city areas that are 100 - 150 on a regular basis. The flip line gets short but not for very long. I usually work 50 - 100, it is not much different than under 50 feet. A good friend who fell 40 feet out of a Douglas Fir told me above 50 feet you are not going to make it any way. Your just as dead at 50+ as you are at 100. He broke an arm, several vertibrae, pelvis, and a leg, bouncing 3 times on landing according to the ground worker. This guy is still climbing more than 16 years after that accident. He was back in the saddle about 18 months after and climbing with a brace on his arm.... No tall tale here, the truth and one of my teachers in the industry.

Back