How high would you go for an AS buddy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Reaction score
Chris Maisman came by this afternoon to do some climbing for me. My white oak trees in the backyard have become quite ugly with suckers and dead branches. And, of course, white oaks are famous for the dead limbs they drop on roofs and hot tubs!

Here's a pic of Chris (AS member Maisman) up one of the oaks. The tree behind and to the right of the one he is on shows what all the trees looked like before Chris came to the rescue. He actually went quite a bit higher in the trees but I liked this pic the best. :)

Thanks tons Chris...:cheers:

attachment.php

Carl, I hope you let him use the hot tub!!!!!

Awesome job!

Chris is the man!!!!!!!!!

Chris you should have taken him up on the offer!
And gone in EL'natural! And drank his beer!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Depends which AS buddy :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Most I would climb pretty high for. Lots of good folks here. Thanks for sharing the pics.

In the photo it seems all that is on the ground is live limbs. It's not the best practice to remove all of the lower growth so far up the trunks. The photo shows this kind of 'skinning' of the trunks has been done before....and it's grown back. The trees are talking but can't be heard for the chainsaw!

Deadwood removal is always good......but livewood removal often is not.:cheers:

Yup; so in your opinion, a light reduction and or canopy cleaning and deadwooding would promote more lower growth which in the long run would create more leaves to aid in food production with reserves for disease or injury protection.

Last edited:
In the photo it seems all that is on the ground is live limbs. It's not the best practice to remove all of the lower growth so far up the trunks. The photo shows this kind of 'skinning' of the trunks has been done before....and it's grown back. The trees are talking but can't be heard for the chainsaw!

Interesting point of view. In old growth forests I've visited this "skinning" of the lower trunks has happened naturally as the trees have grown above the understory and the canopy has dominated by keeping sunlight from reaching the lower parts and thus eliminated saplings and lower branches from competition. Not arguing just stating another point of view. I'm surely not a trained arborist.

About 20' and that's it. I don't like heights, lol.

:agree2:

Depends which AS buddy :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Most I would climb pretty high for. Lots of good folks here. Thanks for sharing the pics.

:agree2: except see my agreement with Brad above. That's why I appreciate the help of younger members like Chris.

I agree, nice picture.

Looks like a nice place to sit down under some shade and slam some cervezas:cheers:

:cheers: There's been a bit of that done there as well as some harder WV apple jack and peach shine. :cheers: Hot tub in winter - cold tub in summer!

Looking back at the photo I realize it may look like we were denuding the tree. That is far from the truth. There is a very healthy canopy above in all of the trees as you might see in this photo.

-----

attachment.php

Though this isn't the same tree it is one of seven very large white oaks in our back yard and just feet from the one in the other photo (part of it is actually in this photo also - the tie off rope is running down to it). In this photo Chris is higher up eliminating some dead branches.

I've noticed that where i cut all my oaks back where you could walk and mow under them that suckers are sprouting everywhere. Most of them i cut as high as the pole saw would reach and now have small limbs everywhere.

I have never seen a willow oak......if they are anything like the weeping willows we have here, I hate em they are messy when alive and even more messy to pick up after being cut. billions of little branches every where.:(
They have the same looking leaves. The trunks get huge though.They are also called water oaks. I like the looks of them but they are a nightmare in the spring to clean up the yard after.

TreeCo, In the perfect world what amount of trimming would you have done? That's a real question with no "what would you do Mr. Smartypants" attitude. As a sense of what amount was taken off, the adjacent tree has the identical amount of foliage. I say perfect world because what the tree wants and what the owner and the surroundings want don't always mesh.

I did not remove anything very large. I think I used the chainsaw ~5 times in the two trees, 85% was thumb size and smaller, 10% was thumb and forefinger circle size, 1 forearm size live piece, the rest was dead wood.

Latest posts

Back