How hot is "Hot"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Had the old wood stove going last night and decided to pull out my laser thermometer and test the heat output.
Holly crap that thing is hot!
The top was running a good 600+ and when I opened the door and took a reading it overloaded my meter.
My meter pegs out at 950.
It even pegged the meter from 15 feet away when pointed directly into the coals.
The stove pipe was running about 450+. Bet there's no build up in that pipe. lol

The amazing thing is my stove sits only 6" away from my wall and even with those temps the wall is only 97 degrees. Man that heat shield on the back really works.

Same here. A year or two ago I used a thermo imaging gun (infrared) an had hot spots on the stove surface 650-700*F and flue temps at 450. Open the door an it over loaded the gun >800F. (No fan on my stove)

That's why I'm highly skeptical of the newer EPA rated stoves being able to heat my house. If those new stoves don't get that hot then they need a lot more surface area to emit the same amount of BTUs at a lower surface temp. Maybe the fans on them help take the heat off them and transfer it faster the the room I guess.

I kinda figured it was normal since it been in use for over ten years with no issues. When I opened the door I was not very close, I was at least 15 feet away.

I kinda figured it was normal since it been in use for over ten years with no issues. When I opened the door I was not very close, I was at least 15 feet away.
Pyrometers measure surface temperatures so it wouldn't matter how far away you were.

Wood burning stoves emit more infrared heat than many folks realize. Like the sun, objects in the room are warmed via infrared and in turn, radiate heat into the room.

I did an experiment with this recently. Took an ordinary room thermometer and set it on the end table by my chair, in line of sight to the stove. Reading was 76°F. Then I set a sheet of cardboard in front of the thermometer. The reading dropped to 68°F.

Wood burning stoves emit more infrared heat than many folks realize. Like the sun, objects in the room are warmed via infrared and in turn, radiate heat into the room.

I did an experiment with this recently. Took an ordinary room thermometer and set it on the end table by my chair, in line of sight to the stove. Reading was 76°F. Then I set a sheet of cardboard in front of the thermometer. The reading dropped to 68°F.
That is the truth, radiant heat is a major factor when using free standing stoves. I've seen a small section of my stove glow blood red which is about 900-1000*F. At that temperature it's radiating pretty damn well, probably more heat than it's convecting.

Btw, found this. I've chart for steel temperature by color..
http://www.health/talk/wiki/know-temperature-when-metal-glows-red/

Just replace the L in "health" with an R.

Good to know its normal. Seems a little late for me to have been asking since its been set up that way for 10 years.
I would have responded sooner but the damn sights keeps going down.
It be nice if my cheap meter would go higher then 950.

Latest posts

Back