How long before you dump your mixed Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Long before you dump your mixed Gas

• 1 to 15 days

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 16 to 30 days

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • 31 to 90 days

Votes: 51 46.4%
  • 91 and on up

Votes: 34 30.9%

• Total voters

If you saw what we techs see, you would use it up in 90 days. It ain't worth it.
And stabilizer doesn't last that long either, been there done that.
Let's see, gonna save 10 bucks on gas and possibly need 100 bucks in repairs.
No profit for the customer in that.
If it aint old, the saw will start.

I agree with big woody. It will really last a long time, epically the stihl oil that has stabilizers in it. I have used 6 month old gas with no problems. Fortunately for me I sell enough fire wood my gas does not usually last me a week.

I use Stabil and keep my premium gas (no alcohol, summer formualtion) in steel 5 gallon containers for up to a year - just don't keep it when mixed very long..

But.. 90% of my service work is gas related... so someone isn't getting it right!

The premixed Aspen Alky fuel that I use can be stored for years, without any ill effects.

It is friendlier to the user and the saw also, than ordinary gas mix.

Just started up some saws, with the fuel from early desember im them - no problems (didn't expect any, either).......:) :clap: :clap:

I didn't vote in the poll.

Last edited:
I got tired of the 5 gallon jugs and running to the gas station every other time I wanted to mow. 3 years ago I picked up a 55 gallon steel barrel and fill it once or twice a year with premium. I've been using another one for deisel for my tractor. I just put it in a trailer, take them to the station and fill it and use a dolly and ramps to unload.

No more putzin around wih jugs all the time. Also good for the generator if an extended power outage.

One $10 jug of stabilizer will handle a 55 gallon barrel. Hand pump on the gas barrel, 12 V electric TSC pump on the diesel.

If you want good barrels go to the jiffy lube type places since their oil is shipped in 55 gallon drums. Some reuse them and some will give them to you.

I recently got 2 more barrels from Valvoline quick change and haul my own gas now to fill my 150 gallon barrel on a stand. Saves 10 to 15 cents per gallon over bulk delivery.

not right

Exactly, somebody is not getting it right.
I would rather work on saws that use 5 gallon in a week or less.
This is the old " the saw has done much" syndrome.

Probably most of us here do not fall into that category. But remember, we are a minority of the people who own saws. And most of the rest have no clue how to run or maintain a saw, or are too lazy to do it.
So for those people, all I sell is 1 gallon gas cans, then sell them a blower and trimmer so I know that gas will get used up.:chainsaw:

I'm in the 1-2 months camp... usually closer to a month. If I don't use it in the saws or the whacker, it'll get used up in the pressure washer, mower, or in the Jeep. Unless I have a bunch of cutting lined up, I only mix 1gl at a time.

How old is typical gas before getting to the retailer? I suppose it depends on the indiv. stations' sales volume how long it sits in their tanks, but before that? Does it come straight from the refinery into the 5000gl haul tankers that carry it to the gas stations, or does it sit in storage between the refining and retail delivery?

Also is race gas 'stabilized' (in 5gl cans like VP) and what's the shelf life on that stuff?

Race Gas VP/ Turbo Blue 110 is a completely different animal. Racing fuel is pure fuel, clean and no additives needed. I have had racing fuel last 3 years in a plastic gas can cut 50/50 with 93oct and added stabilizer. Not recommended to run in any chain saw, trimmer or such, due to it's high octane and controlled flame front. I have run it in my sons built 90cc 4stroke 4 wheeler cut 50/50 with 93oct fuel. Clean burning fuel. I also recommend to add it in vehicle to clean out fuel injectors.

Another newbie question...

So you guys are saying it's safe to put 40:1 mix into your car's gas tank???

:confused:

I don't know about runnin' it through a more modern fuel injected engine... but I run my old premix (saws and dirt bikes) through my old 1979 GMC truck with a carb on a 350. No probs.:D

Gary

Another newbie question...

So you guys are saying it's safe to put 40:1 mix into your car's gas tank???

:confused:

Sure it is... If you have 10 gallons of gas in your tank,and you add an entire gallon, that's 400:1... You burn more oil than that!

91 Octane with NO ethanol pump gas + stabilizer - I use it up in 6 months max.
I drain saws if they are going to sit for anything over a couple weeks.
so far so good

Great thread resurrection there! Never have had to dump old mix myself, never has gotten that old. Max- 1 mo.

I wouldnt care to keep non ethanol over a year.got a 275 gallon tank nearly full at work with stabilzer and it still smells like a rose.its filled with 93 octane.some of my equipment may set over 6 months with the same gas.never had a problem.its all 87-89 octane.no stabilizer with stihl orange mix oil.most times my 2 gallon jug is empty in 3 days.

Back