How long do you cut your wood? POLL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size do you cut your wood?

• 14in or smaller

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 15in

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • 16in

Votes: 70 35.7%
  • 18in

Votes: 41 20.9%
  • 20in

Votes: 30 15.3%
  • 22in

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • 24in or larger

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Other sizes...State Below

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Mixture of all the above

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
I cut lots of different lengths. I have a owb that will take 54" pieces but of course that is too heavy for my wife so I cut most at 32" long, split them with my 36" splitter and stack into wooden skids. I also cut some at 16" to sell so I put 2 pieces at a time onto my 36" splitter. I mark the logs in the bush and cut them to 12`long then they get stacked until I have time to cut them to rounds. I load 4 or 5 logs onto my loader forks and mark them for length and cut. I measure each piece with a aluminum bar and spray paint.
IMG_00001174.jpg

I could cut at least 30" lengths for the barrel stove at my favorite bar and grill:

But then, all the barmaids would give me dirty looks because they are supposed to keep both the stove and the customers full. Can you guys imagine asking a barmaid to fire up a stove with logs that are 32" long? How much foam do you think would then be piled high on your next beer?

The nice straight logs get cut to ~20". Can split most of them with the Fiskars and those that can't will still fit on the splitter. Two rows of 20" splits stack nicely on 40" pallets and can burn them 2 deep in the OWB. Oddball ends, forks, and the like get thrown on pallets and poles (2-5" diameter) get cut 30-40" and have their own stack. The oddball and poles get burned first - still burning through those this season.

I can split 25 inches but my OWB does better if the pieces are around 22 inches. I cut a few at 16 inches so those can be places sideways in the OWB for a longer burn time during hunting season.

16" on wood to be sold, which is almost all of it. Any length up to about 32" for the owb. If it's gum, I cut it to ANY length required to keep me from splitting it.

bb96633ef31c4eb56697ba46658ac369.jpg

Cut mine 48" for longer burn in shop boiler.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Here in Norway 12" is usual, some can take the bigger 20".
In time I plan on heating water to deploy heat to buildings and hotwater. This will take 14x20" Max.

My stove will handle up to 18", so I cut 16".

It is 16" from the tip of the handle to the tip of the bumper, so that's how I measure. If I'm randomly off by an inch one way or another, it doesn't really matter.

I like 18's but my stove will take 21-22. I can even squeeze in a 25" diagonally. So if I'm measuring I shoot for 18 but I'm not too particular. Anything from 16-21 is good.I get a lot of odd sized tree service pieces so length is all over the place. I swear one guy cuts almost everything to 28-30". This leaves you with a dilemma. Cut them into two pieces that are a little on the short side or make one good piece and a shorty. I generally go for the latter.

Of course I stack all the odds and shorties. They burn fine. I have yet to find a piece that was too short to fit.

Latest posts

Back