How often do you clean your chainsaw air filter ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much every tank...My saws are mostly tool less to get the filter off and because they're cartridge style it's easy to bang them out on a stump and go on cutting.

I blow them out with the air compressor when I do full cleaning of the saws...which is once every couple of cutting sessions.

Has anyone noticed if muffler modded saws need to have their filters cleaned more often? I have modded one, and it seems to clog up quicker than before I modded and definitely quicker than my non-modded ones.

I used to use Dawn and it works good for getting out the oils and some of the sawdust. However, the water swells the wood dust locking it into the filter material. Brake cleaner works MUCH better as it doesn't swell the wood fibers.
Never had that issue. Knock off all you can first. Then swish it around in the water well. Rinse and let dry.

With a cyclone action like Husqvarna the need is far less. I have a 51 I bought new late 90es same air filter really never seen it dirty. My 25 horse Briggs has about the same thing I pop the cover off same thing pre filter looks great. The one I do with air cooled engines I take a leaf blower blow all dirt grass clipping out the blower housing. Rats and mice love building nest in blower housing the mess gets so bad the air fins are a total block off.

Not to belabor the point, but as others have said - "it depends". There are several factors, what are you cutting, what is the environment (dusty & dry), what model saw, etc. Under identical conditions I will have to clean the filter on my 026 many more times then I would with the 261. Other than the time to do it, you will never hurt anything by stopping to clean the filter often. Eventually you will instinctively know when the time is right.

I own a Husqvarna 562XP, bought it new about 5 years ago. I’m curious about whats the recommended way to clean the air filter ? Or how often it should be replaced ?
I clean mine after every use now.... noticed fines were getting by the original (faulty in my opinion) filter, so I ordered the updated filter kit. Even with the new filter some fines were still getting through, until I started using the screwdriver end of the scrench to tighten the filter as hard as I can. Now nothing gets by. Still to me a pathetic design for a high end saw.

When you get replacements do you get original Stihl, Husqvarna or Echo, or do you buy an aftermarket like Sten to save a few dollars? I noticed "the dukes" sell some and they are lot cheaper, but wonder about quality?

At the end of every use/day and I'll tap clean periodically during the long days or swap out with a clean/new filter depending on the conditions I'm running in.

Mad3400

I clean mine after every use now.... noticed fines were getting by the original (faulty in my opinion) filter, so I ordered the updated filter kit. Even with the new filter some fines were still getting through, until I started using the screwdriver end of the scrench to tighten the filter as hard as I can. Now nothing gets by. Still to me a pathetic design for a high end saw.
A little clutch drum bearing grease on the mating surfaces of my 562 filter housing worked wonders.

I clean the air filter after every job, sort of a post-work ritual. It's a bit of a habit now. But I agree, the replacement frequency depends on various factors. For me, it's about keeping an eye on the saw's behavior and making adjustments accordingly.

This saw come to me from a local stihl dealer after they had it in for a tune. Locals wasnt happy with way it was still running.
They still didnt get the tune right. But I found this too. :rolleyes:

I told them take it back to dealer to fix this mess and then bring it back.

I then got the saw tuned right for them. :cheers:

Attachments

• s211af.jpg
    s211af.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1
Back