How long does 2 stroke oil last?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I normally buy a couple of six packs of 2.5 gallon mix at a time,and it gets used up quick..I was cleaning out my truck earlier this week and found a six pack of the Stihl orange stuff behind the seat of my truck.I have no idea how old it is and I hate to throw it out.I thought I would ask to be on the safe side.

I normally buy a couple of six packs of 2.5 gallon mix at a time,and it gets used up quick..I was cleaning out my truck earlier this week and found a six pack of the Stihl orange stuff behind the seat of my truck.I have no idea how old it is and I hate to throw it out.I thought I would ask to be on the safe side.

I would no doubt use it. Caps on tight, evaporation? I think not. Its already a Fossil fuel so its already pretty old. I would think that if Gasolene were kept from the atmosphere it would last very long also. The low evaporation temps associated with gasolene is what makes it so shelf unstable.
But with oil? Certainly would never expect it to turn bad.

I would never expect it to be bad. Use it. Or send it to me and I will experiment with it. :LoL:

Stihl bored ehhh, Timber????? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: As long as the seal is intact, its probably good but I switched all my fuel to ultra, someone made the comment to mix it in with your bar oil to get rid of old premix!!!! just a thought

Last edited:
Stihl bored ehhh, Timber????? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: As long as the seal is intact, its probably good but I switched all my fuel to ultra, someone made the comment to mix it in with your bar oil to get rid of old premix!!!! just a thought

Well,now I'm booked up again...But I'm a tightwad and I hate to waste anything..The bottles are still sealed and still are wrapped in the plastic.I'm gonna take my chances

LOL, that ain't that old. How about this?
old_Stihl_oil.jpg

I believe it's early 80's vintage!!!

I wouldn't think sealed up oil would go bad, it's not like milk with an expiration date, hell if it was beer of the same vintage I'd drink it & be happy that I found it.....

Back