How long does it take for the leaves on a tree to die after girdling it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillybonker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I will just like to know an estimated amount of time that the leaves will die on a tree after girdling it?

The tree is a meduim sized tree but I don't know the species.

So the leaves won't die for potentially up to one year?. I know it's takes a long time for the tree to fall over but I thought the leaves die quickly, like within weeks?

Sometimes they will even leaf out the second year. I've got a few Redbuds doing that this year. Girdled last august.

Why not just cut the tree down and be done with it? I never understood why someone would girdle a tree to kill it and let it stand.

One of my redbuds is in a stand of black bamboo and felling the tree would damage the bamboo. The tree falling apart over the next several years would do minimal damage.

One of my redbuds is in a stand of black bamboo and felling the tree would damage the bamboo. The tree falling apart over the next several years would do minimal damage.
you don't think it poses any risk of falling over after rot sets in? Thinking wind storm or ice storm possibly. Just trying to understand the method behind the madness, if you will. I'd personally rent a lift and take it top down if I were worried about it damaging another plant vs letting nature take its course

you don't think it poses any risk of falling over after rot sets in? Thinking wind storm or ice storm possibly. Just trying to understand the method behind the madness, if you will. I'd personally rent a lift and take it top down if I were worried about it damaging another plant vs letting nature take its course

If the trees falling would endanger anything the girdling method of killing would be a bad idea.

I used it mostly on trees 6 inches and under that are winning the competition for sunlight selecting for what I want to win.

For instance I just girdled a few water oaks that are out growing some white oaks that I want for the final trees. The water oaks are about 5 inches in diameter or less and the whites just a couple of inches. The water oaks would win this race but for me and my hatchet.

I imagine the girdled trees sending out pheromones, etc, announcing their fatal wounding along with a decrease in allelochemical production. allopathic allelopathy allelochemical

A little human intervention over time goes a long way.

Another thing that I like about girdling is that is exposes the remaining plants to more light over a period of time Vs. instant full sun.

Because it’s not his tree and he’s gonna go stealth ninja assassin on his neighbors’ tree.
People like you assume something, state it as facts, then spread the word, and that is how rumors are born.

The trees are in bushland and not on any persons property. These trees are also not native to my country so they are fair game.

If the trees falling would endanger anything the girdling method of killing would be a bad idea.

I used it mostly on trees 6 inches and under that are winning the competition for sunlight selecting for what I want to win.

For instance I just girdled a few water oaks that are out growing some white oaks that I want for the final trees. The water oaks are about 5 inches in diameter or less and the whites just a couple of inches. The water oaks would win this race but for me and my hatchet.

I imagine the girdled trees sending out pheromones, etc, announcing their fatal wounding along with a decrease in allelochemical production. allopathic allelopathy allelochemical

A little human intervention over time goes a long way.

Another thing that I like about girdling is that is exposes the remaining plants to more light over a period of time Vs. instant full sun.
Ok makes sense, I was imagining a 20 odd foot red bud. So immature trees would be best suited for this application then?

There are many reasons why I person would prefer alternative options to cutting down a tree.
I can see how dels application makes sense, a 5 or 6" tree isn't much of an issue if I falls in the middle of the night. Large trees kill people, and damage properly.

There are many reasons why I person would prefer alternative options to cutting down a tree.
As he has explained in his other thread, this is an illegal pot growing field and he wants to kill a tree thats blocking the sun without attracting attention......
acWyLKy.png

Some laws are just plain silly and should be ignored. I'm not saying all laws should be ignored, just the laws that are silly like how it is illegal to sell alcohol in New Zealand on Christian public holidays. 63% of the NZ population are not Christians but we are forced to follow this silly law because the politicians want to keep their Christian voter base happy. A lot of laws are just political moves that serve no other purpose.
Umm pretty sure were not allowed to talk politics pit side of the other forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back