how long does it take to split a full cord of wood with a tsc 22 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidoo52

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i was wondering how long it takes to split a full cord of rounds into splits using a huskee tsc 22 ton splitter. just looking for an average to see what it would cost per cord. so if you have a huskee tsc splitter let me know how long it take to split a full cord of wood already cut. the wood is red and white oak and some hickory all straight no knots. 16in to 22in diameter 17in long rounds.

Last edited:
i was wondering how long it takes to split a full cord of rounds into splits using a huskee tsc 22 ton splitter. just looking for an average to see what it would cost per cord. so if you have a huskee tsc splitter let me know how long it take to split a full cord of wood already cut.

I can tell you how long it should take about 2 hours.

i was wondering how long it takes to split a full cord of rounds into splits using a huskee tsc 22 ton splitter. just looking for an average to see what it would cost per cord. so if you have a huskee tsc splitter let me know how long it take to split a full cord of wood already cut.

Far too many variables in that question to give you an honest answer.Size of rounds? If you have the perfect size of around 20 inches or so, not long.If those rounds are 48 inches in diameter, the time goes way up.

Then there is the species of wood to consider.Red oak, not long at all.Knarled up old hickory or some nasty elm, time goes way up.

The operator makes the biggest difference.Some Joe who has never split wood before will take a considerably amount of time compared to someone who spends 20 hours a week on their splitter.Not to mention what kinda shape the operator is in. Get some office worker carrying 50 extra pounds who has never spent a day on a splitter before and I dare say it would take him all day to crank out a cord.

This has been discussed many time, I seem to recall the average being about 3 manhours per cord to cut and stack...

splitting time

We run with two guys on emoving the wood on the splitter and one guy just working the hydro lever can do it a cord in just over and hour with the size rounds you have just throwing it in a pile. That is doing a cord or two not splitting all day long at that pace.

With my father running the splitter controls since he cannot really pick up much and me doing all of the picking up we split, moved with a atv and small 12cf trailer, and stacked about a cord and 1/4 in about 3 hrs yesterday. with the TSC 22 ton i just bought last week.

Splitting wood

i was wondering how long it takes to split a full cord of rounds into splits using a huskee tsc 22 ton splitter. just looking for an average to see what it would cost per cord. so if you have a huskee tsc splitter let me know how long it take to split a full cord of wood already cut. the wood is red and white oak and some hickory all straight no knots. 16in to 22in diameter 17in long rounds.[/QUwood this is me splitting a 4 x 4 x 4 bend. I am at the forestry station at 0700 they show me the tree I drop it cit it in to 16 inch chunks load it with my tractor in to my dump truck load all my equipment back up drive the 15 miles home split it put in in the cage set the cage in my kiln put my equipment al away it's supper time and I am tired I don't see how these fellow do a cord a hour. I have tractors fork lift trucks 3 splitters 2 20 tons and one 30 ton. So I give up on that and started buying it. I bought 5 rank of Ash for
$80.00 dollars delivered dry. I have to reap it it but thatsva piece of cake it's in side where its warm. Those fellow that do a cord a hour got to be one heck of a man.
We run 2 splitters 4 men to see what we could do green white oak it was already in 16 in chunks 45 minutes 1 cord we a greed we could not do that for 6 to 8 hours. We have done firewood all our lives.

Last edited:
I bet if you had 2 healthy guys running a splitter with a cycle time of less than 10 seconds, you could split a cord of wood in an hour. But I usually split wood by myself, and I stack the wood as I split it. I don't have my own woodsplitter yet, but I have used several models that are similar to the huskee 22 ton in power and cycle time. I run the splitter 15-20 minutes, stack it, and repeat. One good thing about operating this way is that the splitter has time to cool down while I am stacking.

All in all, it usually takes me 4 hours to split and stack cord of oak with a few 5 minute water breaks included. If I were buying a splitter today, it would be the huskee 22 ton. I don't know of a better value-per-dollar when it comes to buying a log splitter. And yes, I have a Fiskars X27... so don't go there.

With normal hardwoods, in sizes I can pick up and split horizontally (usually ~18" long and ~16" round) this "50-pound overweight office worker) can split a cord in ~1.5 hours. That is working from an organized pile of rounds to a random pile of splits. Usually I split while the wife stacks. With that method we fill up about 2 of my log carriers (1/4 cord each, 1/2 total) in about 45 mins which is when we stop because the splitter needs another fill of regular unleaded.

ac

Far too many variables in that question to give you an honest answer.Size of rounds? If you have the perfect size of around 20 inches or so, not long.If those rounds are 48 inches in diameter, the time goes way up.

Then there is the species of wood to consider.Red oak, not long at all.Knarled up old hickory or some nasty elm, time goes way up.

The operator makes the biggest difference.Some Joe who has never split wood before will take a considerably amount of time compared to someone who spends 20 hours a week on their splitter.Not to mention what kinda shape the operator is in. Get some office worker carrying 50 extra pounds who has never spent a day on a splitter before and I dare say it would take him all day to crank out a cord.

Let's not forget to ask how small you plan on splitting it. Are you going to quarter those rounds, or are you going to split them into itty bitty little pieces of kindling?

i think you'll be closer to 2.5-3 hours by the time you process a full cord with a single wedge by yourself. we used to do it with a 20ton mtd, effectively the same machine.

Honestly folks. I just don't understand some of you.:dizzy: I am NOT superman or anything of the sort. I am just shy of 40 years old.

I can split a cord of rounds in less than 1 and 1/2 hours. THAT is with the rounds next to the splitter, and the splits just tossed into a pile or thrown on a truck. I have to fill my splitter 2 or 3 times with fuel in that time. ( I WISH the speeco had a bigger fuel tank)

BIG rounds take longer. Knarly rounds take longer. But on the "average" and hour and a half is my usual time.

Stackng though, I would say takes about as long. And cutting/loading the truck, longer still. On a GOOD cord of wood, I have about 5 hours total in the cord. A bad one might be closer to 8 hours.

I'm prob on the low end of the ratios here; I can get a cord through in about 4 hours give or take on my uncle's little Yard-Man 22 ton splitter ...but i am always keeping work area raked up and clean of scrap and peeling bark (as much as possible). Neat freak I suppose.

I honestly though have come to the conclusion that whoever is on the controller is the one holding the log on the wedge. I don't trust anyone with my ten fingers near 20+ tons of crushing force. Seeing these 2 and 3 people operations with one person on the lever and someone else(or more) throwing logs on the machine makes me cringe.

16 inch straight red oak, why even use a machine? I can split a full cord with an ax/maul in under an hour breezing.

i was wondering how long it takes to split a full cord of rounds into splits using a huskee tsc 22 ton splitter. just looking for an average to see what it would cost per cord. so if you have a huskee tsc splitter let me know how long it take to split a full cord of wood already cut. the wood is red and white oak and some hickory all straight no knots. 16in to 22in diameter 17in long rounds.

I don't think the tonnage of the splitter makes that much difference, as long as it's normal, straight grained, and not stringy wood. All I use is a little Ryobi 4 ton electric splitter ($299 at Home Depot). I can do a face cord in 45 minutes by myself. Splits tossed in a trailer. But in reality, it takes me around 3 hours to do a full cord. That includes reloading the table with rounds, scratching my butt, picking my nose, and just generally working at a comfortable pace. I built a table for my splitter, a table to catch the splits for resplitting, and a table to stack the rounds on so everything is at waist level. Cycle time for the little Ryobi is around 10 seconds. I've split well over 50 full cords with this set-up and no break-down of any kind. It's quiet, clean, and cheap to operate.

If I would ever get a hydraulic splitter, I'd opt for the Power Horse 20 ton model from Northern Tool for $949. It even comes with a log table. It splits in both directions. Powerhorse Horizontal Dual Split Log Splitter — 20-Ton, 208cc | Log Splitters | Northern Tool + Equipment Watch the video. You can even get a 4 way wedge for it.

Don

attachment.php

Last edited:
16 inch straight red oak, why even use a machine? I can split a full cord with an ax/maul in under an hour breezing.

Yeah, they really shouldn't even sell splitters. All they do is contribute to obesity,laziness and lack of initiative. We might even want to think about passing a law to euthanize those that can't swing a maul anymore - survival of the fittest. Then the rest of us wouldn't have so much trouble finding firewood.

I split this pile the other day and it took me about 2.5 hours and 2 beers. I put a wheelbarrow next to the splitter and let the splits fall into it. Once full I wheel it in the garage and dump it. To save some space once the pile gets big I hand pick it from the barrow and toss it on the pile. I estimate about 1 1/3 cord here. My splits are small to large. I like a random split, gives me more options when burning. There is actually two piles here you just can't see all of the other one. I seperated them into burn this year and burn next year.
View attachment 216250

All done with a 22 ton huskee.
I love the splitter but would upsize given the chance. Need more meat for stringy, gnarly stuff. I worked it so hard on some elm that I now have a little blow by on the rings and can smell oil when she dogs on a log.

I have a crane/winch welded to the side of my husky to pick up the heavy ones. It usually takes me around 2 hours to split a cord. That's when the wife is helping. I work the crane and keep the cradle full while the wife splits. While she splits i just go around and stack it in the trailer when i have a delivery. So most of the times 1 cord stacked in 2 to 2 1/2 hrs. Also it takes around 2-3 fill ups.

Latest posts

Back