How long is the blade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was showing a city slicker friend of mine my saw collection. "How long is the blade on this one?" he asked.

Blade? Ugh.

I don't know why that grates on my senses. "Blade" is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Of course I set him straight..."Its the bar. The thing that goes around it really, really fast is the chain..."

Blade...Ugh!

Am I becoming a chainsaw snob?:dizzy:

Last edited:
I was showing my city slicker friend of mine my saw collection. "How long is the blade on this one?" he asked.

Blade? Ugh.

I don't know why that grates on my senses. "Blade" is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Of course I set him straight..."Its the bar. The thing that goes around it really, really fast is the chain..."

Blade...Ugh!

well THIS has been hashed over a LOT !!

anyway,i dont think "snob" is the word to use,maybe more"educated" than non saw users ??
the one that gets me is "blade has just been sharpened" ? like,take the chain off and a grinding wheel to the bar to make it cut faster ??
From a lot of saws i got a couple weeks ago i have been fixing and selling a lot of small homeowner saws..get em going good and measure total bar length off the saw..advertise with true bar length , like 18 in but include "totel blade length 22inches ! LOL !!
most dont care about the size or power of the engine,just how long that thing is that sticks out front !!
they equate that with cutting ability..
i dont let it bother me anymore..
I remember back when the really cool people didnt calle it a chainsaw,proper word was "powersaw" :)

I was showing my city slicker friend of mine my saw collection. "How long is the blade on this one?" he asked.

Blade? Ugh.

Blade...Ugh!

I hear ya. Just about gives me a cramp everytime I hear it. :spam:

well THIS has been hashed over a LOT !!

{snip]
"totel blade length 22inches ! LOL !!
most dont care about the size or power of the engine,just how long that thing is that sticks out front !!
[snip]
:)

Ron, you know damned well how the human brain works.
(In my best mock German Dr Freud type accent)
Ve vill let Dr Richard delve in to ze average home saw owners mind....

"Aah, ya, tell me about your mudder and ze inadequacy of your dezires......"
:laugh:

guys call and walk into my job alllllll the time and say "i need a blade for a ** inch saw" so i usually hand them a chain, probably 40% of the time they are talking about the bar. it drives me insane every time i hear improper terminology like that. i actually had one guy argue with me cuz i said "oh, you need a bar then" and he went on this rant about how its technically called the "blade" because thats how his daddy taught him and he logged for XX number of years and so on...i suppose you cant fix ignorance.

I see "blade" used a lot, even on ebay.
But my #1 peeve is when a guy is selling a bored motor, and then says... Well, I had er' bored .080 over, and since it was a 200- she's now a 280... as if each ten-thousandth bored on a cylinder wall equates to an extra 1cc. Trivial? Yes, but it drives me nuts.

I got over that one a while ago. 90% of people consider it a blade.

In Germany, where a lot of our saws are made, they call it a sword. So, perhaps blade is not that bad of term to use.

In Germany, where a lot of our saws are made, they call it a sword. So, perhaps blade is not that bad of term to use.

I like sword. If I would go around telling everyone how long of a sword I have people might give me looks. "I have a 18" sword, flacid"

I sell firewood so what I get from people is, How much for a core?
I tell them its called A Cord not core. About 1 in 10 will ask
a for a core,

Another thing a lot will say is, Where do you get all your wood from?
Most of time I will tell them from trees. Then they laugh and say
oh yeah trees and laugh some more.

You are by no means a snob......damn near everyone at some point in their life calls it something other than it is....I have even heard "that thing!"" haha all in all bar pleases me the most

I know old guys that look at you likr you are a moron if you say "bar". The real name is a "rail".

I can see how it would come to be called that when the chain rides on the rails, but it could be a regional thing too, much like how you measure timber in cords, yet that's an unknown term/measurement here, it's always been a tonnage or cubic metre (or yards I suppose in the pre-metric days) measurement in this part of the world.

it really gripes my butt to hear it also......kinda like when people say husqvarna three nine four xp instead of three ninety four xp..........

Latest posts

Back