How long will AvGas actually store?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickIreland

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
In an airtight metal jerry can, with stabiliser added - a year? Two? Five?
I have a friend who helps out at a local flying club (tiny strip, small private planes and microlite types only) who should be able to get me some, just wondering whether I should get a 5 gallon can or 5 x 5 gallon cans full!

Cheers,

Patrick.

My understanding is they only actually make this stuff a couple times a year. The volume of avgas sold compared to auto gas is very low. So they only convert the distiller every so often to run avgas.

I think it is designed for storability. I would not be surprised if it is good for 2 years....but I think you should be plenty safe for 1 year.

That sounds good. one, maybe 2 years - maybe 3 with stabiliser - I laike to lay up a few sealed cans at the cabin, and AvGas sounds like it would be good for it - seen too much pump stuff come out of old (4-stroke!) tanks looking like peat coloured water after 18 months or so in a vented mower tank. I'll make sure all the jerry can seals are in good condition...

My understanding is they only actually make this stuff a couple times a year. The volume of avgas sold compared to auto gas is very low. So they only convert the distiller every so often to run avgas.

I think it is designed for storability. I would not be surprised if it is good for 2 years....but I think you should be plenty safe for 1 year.

Also, whatever container it is in should be full of gas. Air has quite a bit of moisture in it and the moisture will condense and become water in your gas. Airplane operators try to keep their tanks full to prevent water from condensing out of the air when the temp drops and pooling in the tank. Also airplane fuel tanks have drains on the bottom to let the water out.

It would be easy to put a drain on the bottom of a tank and use a aviation fuel tester (5 dollars) to check your fuel. The water will always be at the bottom of the tank.

The fellow that runs the small local airport I buy 100LL from said they have several planes that have sat for over ten years and the fuel was still good.

Yep it's a "rule" I made that if you use petrol you brim the tank again - I pay for the stuff, the family and friends can do the work of crossing the lake and having it filled to the brim. I never let the cans go below half way anyway, and if they get close - well then that brush pile becomes a big bonfire. :D

Also, whatever container it is in should be full of gas. Air has quite a bit of moisture in it and the moisture will condense and become water in your gas. Airplane operators try to keep their tanks full to prevent water from condensing out of the air when the temp drops and pooling in the tank. Also airplane fuel tanks have drains on the bottom to let the water out.

It would be easy to put a drain on the bottom of a tank and use a aviation fuel tester (5 dollars) to check your fuel. The water will always be at the bottom of the tank.

Yep it's a "rule" I made that if you use petrol you brim the tank again - I pay for the stuff, the family and friends can do the work of crossing the lake and having it filled to the brim. I never let the cans go below half way anyway, and if they get close - well then that brush pile becomes a big bonfire. :D

Remember. The only way to make a good bonfire is to put on a backpack leaf blower to get more air on the fire.

It's an island cabin, the driveway is the dock so the only leaf blowing that gets done is by the mower - it has no grass box so it shreds them and makes a nice band of grass/leaf mulch from your ankles to your knees.:(
Another reason why I don't cut the grass and rely on my female cousin to do it when she goes over! :D

avgas

Not very long ago, for a week I flew a DC-3 around the high arctic burning 9-year-old avgas from drums. In 10 years of flying this machine, the engines never ran better. I'd recommend you store avgas in a cool place (preferrably -30 for eight months of the year) for maximum longevity.

Not very long ago, for a week I flew a DC-3 around the high arctic burning 9-year-old avgas from drums. In 10 years of flying this machine, the engines never ran better. I'd recommend you store avgas in a cool place (preferrably -30 for eight months of the year) for maximum longevity.

If you can store avgas at -30 for 8 months of the year, you don't need a chainsaw! :laugh:

That sounds good. one, maybe 2 years - maybe 3 with stabiliser - I laike to lay up a few sealed cans at the cabin, and AvGas sounds like it would be good for it - seen too much pump stuff come out of old (4-stroke!) tanks looking like peat coloured water after 18 months or so in a vented mower tank. I'll make sure all the jerry can seals are in good condition...

I don't have a real scientific reason for this, but I don't think that I would put the stabilizer in avgas. Just my 2 cents worth.

You mainly lose octane levels over time with AV fuel. With regular pump gas, the additives degrade along with the octane.

I use to run avgas in my 1970 Chevelle SS (still have it) when it had the 454 cu-in 11.1 compression and it would last a year no problem. I now have a 498 cu-in 14.5.1 compression and it uses 114 octane fuel. Maybe I should try some of that in my chainsaw? :)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/Tinop/?action=view&current=DSC00745.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/Tinop/?action=view&current=engine5.jpg

:)

I had the same car, including the same color. 1970 1/2 Chevelle with the LS6 454 and Turbo 400 tranny--even the rims I put on look similar to yours. Stoplight to stoplight it was ferocious with the 4:10 gears........

Casey

I use to run avgas in my 1970 Chevelle SS (still have it) when it had the 454 cu-in 11.1 compression and it would last a year no problem. I now have a 498 cu-in 14.5.1 compression and it uses 114 octane fuel. Maybe I should try some of that in my chainsaw? :)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/Tinop/?action=view&current=DSC00745.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/Tinop/?action=view&current=engine5.jpg

:)

see if you can find some of the green 115 AV gas, it will be less expensive than race fuel and the chevelle will love it. I've ran it in my 68 camaro that also has a high comp. engine (69 LT1 with decked block/shaved heads)

P.S. they also make 130 octane AV gas, color coded purple, hard to find as usually only military applications. You can cut this with a fair amount of pump gas and still be O.K.

Back