How low would oil/gas need to be for you to give up wood heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How cheap would oil/gas/propane need to be for you to forego woodheat

• Wood heat's not for me. I'll pay market rate for gas/oil

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • $2-$4

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • $1-$2

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Free, e.g., Oil Heat Council has a lottery and you win

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • NEVER - not even if it's free

Votes: 54 54.0%

• Total voters
I voted Free. I would probably get rid of my OWB and put in a nice little stove in the living room so I could at least burn when I wanted too. BUT.........it'll never happen.

I think if natural gas prices tanked I would use it some. I still prefer the warm and self reliance of heating with wood and being able to do it all by myself.

I'd use propane more during the summer to do hot water, but I'd rather burn wood and buy stock in oil companies... :)

When we moved in to our house in 1999 I was paying $0.69 per gallon of oil and we still were burning wood. I guess I would have to say never.

I honestly don't know if there is a price for oil that I would stop burning.

I wouldn't stop burning if it were free. I like it too much. I study fire for a living, and I'm literally transfixed every time I light the stove. There's just something about the phenomenon of rapid oxidation that I cannot get enough.

There are other benefits to burning besides cost that I wouldn't want to give up. I'd be a walking pair of legs because of all the other hobbies I have, were it not for wood to keep my upper body in shape for summer climbing. And I hate going to the gym. Plus I get to spend time with my father which I like. And it's an excuse to quit working on the house and get outside. And use power equipment. Plus I really like cutting.

So yeah, I guess I'm trying to say, the monetary savings that comes with burning firewood for heat is only part of the total sum of benefits. An important part, but not so important that I'd stop were it to be eliminated.

ill just stick with firewood just love cutin and split firewood:), cant depend on oil companys :chainsaw: and nothing beats the heat coming from a roaring fire an a cold day :).

id prolly keep doing it no matter how low the price got. i enjoy all aspects of it. well except carrying the wood in and stacking it. i got the stove all loaded up ready to go for the night. im just waiting till it gets later so i dont sweat my ass off. i sat ther looking at the dark glass wondering myself how many fires i have left for the season.

its funny i start burining in october as i have no other source of heat. (i disconnected the oil burner) its april and im still burning in the morning and night to keep the temps up and im kinda sad thinking fo the last fire of the heating season.

so in conclusion were all sick but at least were in good company :dizzy:

I stopped using oil 2 yrs. ago, when it hit $2.20/gal. Used inside woodstove 1st year, just finishing the 1st winter with the OWB. I'm figuring payback in the 4 yr. or less, and....
I used to get my oil for free. It was my retainer for servicing oil furnaces/boilers for a small oil jobber. Did that for seven years 'til they went belly up from gambling debt.

I was burning wood when heating oil was only .89 a gallon, so it doesn't matter how low the price goes. Heck, if I stopped burning what would I do with all my saws?

We are going to stick with burning wood in the OWB.

I don't trust the propane companies any more. We just bought our own 100 # tank for the cook stove. Even if they said free, we would not go back to propane for our main heat source.

With a OWB, the mess is outside. Hubby likes the temp inside set to 75 degrees plus. With propane, it was about 68 degrees and just did not feel warm compared to what we have now. It is not the same heat.
Our addition is 24 by 12 ft with no registers in that room. Just leave the door open and it stayed right close to 70 degrees all winter. Very comfortable. Only time it would change if the wind was coming from that side of the house during a storm. Lowest it got was maybe 65.

Hubby likes to cut wood. I fiqure when he retires, this will give him something to do instead of sitting in front of tv with remote glued to his hand.
I put a lot of thought and research into us buying a OWB....can't you tell ? :)
:greenchainsaw:

When I installed my OWB five years ago propane was right around $1 per gallon up from the $0.88 from the year before. I figured the stove, saw and log splitter are paid for.....Unless propane drops back down below $1, I will continue to burn wood along with the 100k calories per year that goes along with all the work.

Man I would die if not for the exercise I get Cuttin Splitting and Stacking:givebeer: Way too much fun being out in the woods:greenchainsaw:

Billy

Back