How low would oil/gas need to be for you to give up wood heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How cheap would oil/gas/propane need to be for you to forego woodheat

• Wood heat's not for me. I'll pay market rate for gas/oil

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • $2-$4

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • $1-$2

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Free, e.g., Oil Heat Council has a lottery and you win

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • NEVER - not even if it's free

Votes: 54 54.0%

• Total voters
Even back when propane was under a dollar it cost me over $900 a year to heat my home. I would never go back to not burning wood as abundant as good hardwood is up here. I know even with chainsaw gas and splitter gas and the cost of what wood I did buy I am still under $500 per year burning wood.

You can't tell me wood isn't better, because you can't get covered in saw chips filling up your fuel tank.

I think for many, that would be a drawback. But again, I doubt you'd get the same level of discussion if the question were posed to non-woodburners, "Which is the preferred fuel, No.2 oil or liquified petroleum?"

Recently, a member here made a funny comment that rings true about wood chips. That they cling to you like a devils pitchfork for the entire time your outside, but they seem to jump off all at onece the moment you walk through the door.

I thought about it a couple days ago when the wife was mildly complaining. (This is a good time of year to do wood. Nice outside, but still cool enough to run the stove, which is a tangible reminder why we put up with the mess in the first place.)

I don't think we would ever go back either, we spent way to many years and way to much money supporting the propane man. Plus I love cutting wood!!!! And all my kids have learned to love filling the big Jacuzzi tub and taking HOT baths twice a day!!!!

There is nothing like the warmth of a fire. Not to mention the enjoyment (and yes I really enjoy it) of the work of gathering and processing the wood.

When the price of oil drops the cost of getting the wood also drops.

So...never

Well, they would hafta pay for a gym membership for my entire famly. Plus i'm not going to support those arabs anyway.

Back