How many have bought a saw from Craigslist???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bought a saw from Craigslist?

• YES

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • NO

Votes: 31 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bought my 460 off CL as a project saw... turns out its more of a project than I anticipated! But the price was right.

Yes, a few

Just picked up an old 010 last week. Didn't oil, but a quick blast of air cleared that. While I was messing with that I decided to put the clutch cover off of an old 011avt parts saw on it so it would have a chain brake. So I wound up with a 010/011av(t) hybrid.

attachment.php

I like to check CL a couple times a day. As has previously been said, it's all luck. I also follow the advice of a post I read some time ago and check 4 times for chainsaw, chainsaws, chain saw, chain saws. It's amazing how many show up on only one of them.

So far I've purchased my Oregon grinder, Shindaiwa 695, and Shindaiwa C-350 off Craigslist and happy with the deal on all three.

Yes

Yeah, I've done very well.

Best scores ; Shindaiwa 757, 488, 300s- powerheads, all run. + Homelite xl
^^^^^ $40 for all 4 ^^^^^^
Stihl 026, all parts in a box. Put it back together. Ran great.
^^^^^ $25 ^^^^^

Oh and....

Stihl 028, Craftsman 2.1, & Homelite XL2 plus a bunch of other stuff - $100

Husqvarna 55 & Stihl 028 - $100 for both

Then there is....

Bought a nice Poulan 4000 for $25.00
Did some trading and got a Jonsereds 361 off CL.
Bunch of others, but has slowed to a stand still lately

Last edited:
Not yet....

But I did get a few saws off ebay... and with some GREAT results...

Some ebayers provide great service and accurate product descriptions, etc..

Anyone bought a saw and had them ship it to you. If I pay with Paypal would that help protect me? I thought maybe ask them to take a pic of themself holding the saw- that pretty well shows they have it. A guy at work says he ask them to take a pic with an item he tells them ( coke can, lighter, etc) this way it shows they have the item. I would like to get a scan of their ID, but I doubt they want to send that. If Im spending $400 - 500 I need a little protection. How do you buyers and sellers do it? If you're a seller do you give your name and address to the buyer? what about shipping C.O.D, cost a little more but might help protect me.

as a matter of fact...................

Just a simple yes/no poll.....

Yes, I have and will again.

Mike

i got your 262xp off CL. not to mention another one recently as well as a nice running 036 pro.i buy and sell saws there often.

Yes, several. 670 super, 52E, 451E, Wright GS-218, 2 011's, Mall 0MG. I check a couple times a day.

A good story from the other day. Someone had posted an ad for two owners manuals, a Mall/remington silver logmaster, and a Mall model 12a. I haven't been able to get spark on my 0MG, so I thought there might be some usefull info in them for getting started. I responded that I was interested and got a response with a phone number. I called and the woman said that they were left over from her Dad(she was asking $5 each). I didn't want to drive the 40 miles up to get them, so I asked if I could just mail her a check. She wasn't keen on a check, so I told her I'd just mail cash+$5 for postage. I figured if it went bad I could recover from a $15 dollar loss. She said that was OK, so I mailed it off. A couple of days ago they arrived in the mail with $3 attached. She wrote a note with them saying I had sent too much for postage and here was the change. I guess there are still some good people left in the world!

Anyone bought a saw and had them ship it to you. If I pay with Paypal would that help protect me? I thought maybe ask them to take a pic of themself holding the saw- that pretty well shows they have it. A guy at work says he ask them to take a pic with an item he tells them ( coke can, lighter, etc) this way it shows they have the item. I would like to get a scan of their ID, but I doubt they want to send that. If Im spending $400 - 500 I need a little protection. How do you buyers and sellers do it? If you're a seller do you give your name and address to the buyer? what about shipping C.O.D, cost a little more but might help protect me.
I think MAKEITOUTOFWOOD Tried that with A 441 he wanted to buy, but w/bad results, maybe he could chime in...
Feebay is probably your safest bet -with the recent changes they have made (returning cash from paypal, free prepaid shipping return labels, the seller cannot leave neg feedback) if a buyer isn't satisfied, its relatively easy to get treated fairly.

Craigslist is great but it seems like getting good deals is pretty tough now days. Too many people on there camping out. First year I started looking there were plenty of good deals. Now pretty much nothing or its gone in the first 15 seconds.

Back