How many links for my 28" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On my JD CS 62 I put a 28" Oregon Power Match Chainsaw Bar which says to use 92 links.
I used 92 links of WoodlandPro 30RP ripping from Bailey's. After about 8' of 20" cut, and adjusting the chain twice (which I expected) the adjuster is as in the pic:

attachment.php

(max adjustment is all the way to the right ------>)
This is my second chain on the bar. The first chain adjusted similar, a fair number of turns from putting it on to about the first 15' of cut, then just a little adjustment about every 10' to 20'. On that one I've "touched it up" numerous times and sharpened it with my File n Joint at least 4 times and the adjuster seemed to be at almost max tightening after milling about 200 lineal feet at least. There's a LOT of tooth left, (I don't have a micrometer or anything to take a close up pic).

So questions for the experienced:
For my next chain should I request 91 links? 90 links?
Does anyone commonly take a link or two out until there is not any cutter left?

When I have to adjust it that far out just after the chain is broken in, as in the pic, should I take a link out? 2 links? I've got the pro breaker and spinner.

Dolmar, husky/jonsered take 93 dl. Stihl usually take 91 dl. YOu may have to take one out to make sure you don't run out of adjustment.

it appears you still have quite a bit of adjustment left. you'd be surprised how much one turn of the adjustment screw will move a chain.

But -
Does anyone commonly take a link or two out until there is not any cutter left?

Yep.
When a chain get's to the point there is no adjustment left, remove a DL if there is enough cutter left to use it. Just remove one DL, if you take 2 you'll probably be too short.

Andy

Latest posts

Back