How many of you wear protective chaps while climbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pants

i wear them when i leave the house until i get back at night, same with my boots helmet, visor and ear guards (dont wear gloves though)

as for becoming complacent, i dont trust them enough, i watch where the saw goes all the time, i trust my kit, but i dont want to get into the situation that i HAVE to trust it

if that makes sense

jamie

I understand that it must be brutal during intense heat, of which I may not have ever experianced. However, this is one thing that bothers me regarding safety and seasonal professions. Here during winter months we must deal with cold (which by the way I prefer over heat, once you're stripped, you can't get any cooler... but you can always put more clothes on..he he ) Clients understand that we cannot make the same sort of production in two feet of snow in their back yard. So we slow down, perhaps to a halt at times, (Although the area I am in rarely sees much snow, Micro-climate of sorts between the lakes)

I am just babbling here, and questioning at the same time, do you southerners get slow during the summer when it's hot? or do you slow down in the winter ? or is there no break at all.

Sure Matt, we slow down during the winter. Doesn't everyone? The holidays and the rainer weather can do a number on us, sometimes.

Summer? Slow down? Nah, not really. That is pretty much the busiest time of the year. Physically slow down while working in the heat? Yeah, that happens. Gatoraid is a lifesaver!

Like I said, its the slow season. I've been averaging 3 to 4 half days a week. I'm usually home by noon everyday.

Today I TD a huge, beautiful Magnolia for an 80 year old man just because he didn't like the leaves. He just moved into the house 6 mo earlier. That sucks.:angry: That tree was around before he was born, and would have been around long after his arse is dead.

That was one tree I did not enjoy killing. :(

Cold mornings, no proplem, just start around 10am- nice and warm by then.

The heat is nothing to me, just that darn humidity. SUPPRESSIVE as fark. This is the reason you will see so many shirtless service folk. The sweat just keeps flowing. I will go thru 3-5 tee-shirts a day. You've heard the term "sweatin your ass off" right.

Today could'nt get ANY nicer. tgif----

All I see is flocks of snowbirds here.:p

I'm gone!

Nevermind the cold and heat, how about the darkness ?
In a week the sun will rise at 8.45 and set at 14.45, and it
never gets very light.
In the northern parts of Sweden the sun don't rise at all right now!
Hard to get much done with these short days. Hoping for some snow to light it up.

I wear the husqvarna pants at work but will be getting a lighter
pair of brittish pants. The husqvarna pants are nice for ground work
but very bulky for climbing.

Cold weather slows my starts. Once I get working the work speed is good-except when snow is on the ground. I almost never climb trees with snow in them. The short days are the pits-wait till 10AM for the chilll to dissipate and it's too dark to work at 5PM. Throw in a bid and an errand to run and a full day may be 5hrs of work. In Summer 10-11 hour days can help pick up the slack. My ideal is 6 hrs per day on job sites and about 3 more spent in travel , bidding, lunch etc..

Latest posts

Back