How many sub out their stumps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdaz250

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi i was curious how many of you guys sub out the stumps from the trees you remove. I was talking to my boss the other day about grinding and he was saying how some of the competing companys dont even own stump grinders...they just sub them out to the others because they dont want to deal with it. Seemed odd to me...but none the less i was curious how all you guys do it.

There is alot of companys around here that sub out there stumps. Good, more for me to grind. Tomlinson and bomberger subs out there stumps.

Nope, I grind my stumps. I think that is part of being a complete tree service and I feel it would be a disservice to my customers to have a different company who may or may not have the standards that I do. If I need a bigger machine I might sub it out but I am there on site watching or I rent.

I sub out the stumps bigger than 36". That means I still do most of them myself, keeping the customer happy because the job is complete in a timely manner, thus "Full Service".

I have a guy grind mine. I call in the locates myself and call him and schedule for him to grind them he dont do no clean up. He charges 1.75 an inch and I figure it in the bid. Most of the time the homeowner thinks he works for me. He is a retired tree guy that kept his grinder and he always treats me right.

I have a guy grind mine. I call in the locates myself and call him and schedule for him to grind them he dont do no clean up. He charges 1.75 an inch and I figure it in the bid. Most of the time the homeowner thinks he works for me. He is a retired tree guy that kept his grinder and he always treats me right.

I use to rent and grind but found a guy that does it cheaper than me renting one and the labor, just add in the bid, good to go.

I just dont want to put out the $$ on a stumper right now, everything has been payed off for a long while

I make sure he shows up when were done so the job is complete...

There's a few other tree services that use the same stump guy I do, get to here who's who, what tree services are jerks and who's going out of business.......

Stumps

I don't sub them out I have a guy I give all my customers his info. At the end of last year he gave me $500 for all the referrals. He does a good job and fast. Haven't had any customers complain so it works very well for me. Plus he has refer me to people for tree work.

We do all our own. I feel we get a lot of jobs because we can do everything. I can't stand seeing customers getting left with half a dump truck full of grindings from many of my competitors. I feel if your going to do the job, do the whole job. I have seen local guys contract a climber, then stump grinder, then log truck, all on one job.

There is not a ton of money in grinding stumps. Its more about completing the job and making your customers happy.

....some of the competing companys dont even own stump grinders...they just sub them out to the others because they dont want to deal with it. Seemed odd to me.

I just did my 1,200th removal job and have never ground a single stump. I am more than busy enough with removals/pruning, it pays better, and I simply have no desire to own another piece of loud, dirty, expensive equipment. I give all my stumps jobs to a friend and he gives me all his treework (he's older and no longer removes trees). It's a win-win because we both get to do what we are good at, set up for, and want to be doing. That said, I completely understand why some guys want to see a job through from start to finish. That is a concern for me too but I trust my stump guy and I can live with it. Most customers here in rural New Hampshire do NOT have their stumps ground so maybe this is less of an issue for me than for some others.

Around here alot of people want there stumps ground. I can make $300 a hour grinding. Around here, the going price is about $5.00 a inch at the widest diameter of the stump.

stump grinding is tree work and I sure the hell don't sub it out

I like that mentality superjunior, but where I live treework is complete when the tree is gone and the stump is flush-cut (close) to the ground. So few customers want their stumps ground that it's never included in a removal bid unless explicitly requested. We are surrounded by nothing but woods and most people don't have manicured, suburban lawns so I guess a few low cut stumps are just another lawn decoration to most people. Don't get me wrong, I always recommend grinding if stumps are in a yard or next to a driveway but many customers still don't go for it. And, I don't think it's just a cost thing; I think they really don't mind having stumps around. Seems crazy to me, but that's how it is.

I can make $300 a hour grinding.

That's awesome! Unfortunately, here, you would starve. It weird, customers are willing to pay top dollar for tree removal but then balk when you tell them $75 for stump grinding. I don't understand it, but it works to my advantage since I don't grind stumps.

I like that mentality superjunior, but where I live treework is complete when the tree is gone and the stump is flush-cut (close) to the ground. So few customers want their stumps ground that it's never included in a removal bid unless explicitly requested. We are surrounded by nothing but woods and most people don't have manicured, suburban lawns so I guess a few low cut stumps are just another lawn decoration to most people. Don't get me wrong, I always recommend grinding if stumps are in a yard or next to a driveway but many customers still don't go for it. And, I don't think it's just a cost thing; I think they really don't mind having stumps around. Seems crazy to me, but that's how it is.

that makes sense. sounds like you have a pretty good gig with your stump guy. I guess its a little different around here. I'd say we do the stumps for about 75% of our removals. those jobs we usually tow the 1625 with the bucket truck or our bigger tow behind with a one ton pickup, sometimes both depending on how many or how big the stump.

I guess the area your in changes a lot of things. Aside from this year where we just did not have time to do some stumps because of the mass amount of storm work. We almost never leave a stump behind. Every once in a while you get a stump behind some bushes, in the woods, or out of site that they just don't care about. Everything else is done with the job.

My biggest gripe about guys that sub out grinding is this. I bid a job to be completely done. This means the tree is gone, stump is ground, cleaned up, yard blown clean with backpack blowers, nothing left behind for "X" amount. Next company bids the same job only subs out the stumps and charges the customer $100 less telling them the grindings will be left behind and can be easily move by the homeowner after. The cheaper guy gets the job. Then I get a call about a week later from the customer asking if I can remove the mess and dump truck load of grindings the other company left behind. Sure for around $300 if were slow. This literally happens every 1-2 weeks. I do my best to explain the job done while doing the bid, but you have people that just shop the lowest price and that is all they care about.

Now I'm not saying every guy that subs out stumps doesn't go back and clean them up later, just what most do in my area. I guess it just gets under my skin a little when I see grindings left behind at a job where the homeowners are in the 60-70's.

I guess the area your in changes a lot of things. Aside from this year where we just did not have time to do some stumps because of the mass amount of storm work. We almost never leave a stump behind. Every once in a while you get a stump behind some bushes, in the woods, or out of site that they just don't care about. Everything else is done with the job.

My biggest gripe about guys that sub out grinding is this. I bid a job to be completely done. This means the tree is gone, stump is ground, cleaned up, yard blown clean with backpack blowers, nothing left behind for "X" amount. Next company bids the same job only subs out the stumps and charges the customer $100 less telling them the grindings will be left behind and can be easily move by the homeowner after. The cheaper guy gets the job. Then I get a call about a week later from the customer asking if I can remove the mess and dump truck load of grindings the other company left behind. Sure for around $300 if were slow. This literally happens every 1-2 weeks. I do my best to explain the job done while doing the bid, but you have people that just shop the lowest price and that is all they care about.

Now I'm not saying every guy that subs out stumps doesn't go back and clean them up later, just what most do in my area. I guess it just gets under my skin a little when I see grindings left behind at a job where the homeowners are in the 60-70's.

I get what your saying here. we never remove grindings. I don't know of one company (and I know most guys around this area) that remove grindings as part of the job. We do if we're going to be seeding the area, planting a new tree or specificaly (sp?) asked to.

I've run into the problem before. Do the job, grind the stump and later that evening get the call "you guys left a big pile of chips where the tree was". Now I put right on the estimate - STUMP GROUND OUT AND GRINDINGS RAKED BACK OVER HOLE. We don't have a loader yet so for us it means pitch forking all that into a dump truck, which would bring the overall price of the job up quite a bit.

I work with a lot of tree services, i give them the tree business and they give
me the stumps, sometimes they bid the stump removal price in the bid and
sometimes they just have the customer call me, there are a lot of grinders in
the area so it keeps the price low, too low for the tree guys to mess with them...

I spread the shavings or pile them up for customer to use for mulch, whichever
way the customer wants it, i have not had any complaints and have done thousands
of stumps, also none of the tree services have ever told me about any customer
complaints, thats why i get the business, if u cut the stump down low u will have
a minimun amt of shavings, and save on wear and tear on ur grinder...

Most of the tree guys i work with, have at one time or another done stumps as
part of their service but tell me because of the competition down here it is just
not worth it for them to mess with the stumps..

Thats the way it is in my neck of the woods..:cheers:

Bob...

I sometimes leave grindings. I always ask the customer if they want to clean up or if they want me to do it. Most times when you tell them how much more it will cost, they almost always cleanup themselves. I do have some people that have me cleanup though. I am very up front with people on how much of a mess it will be when ground. If I dont haul away the grindings, I always rake and make a pile over where the stump was.

To each their own

Why would I spend that kind of money on a machine (to as you guys that call the total job complete once the stump is ground) when I can have a guy do a heck of a job for right around $100?

My bid states clearly what my workscope will be. I also go over the options for the stump with them before I leave from giving them the bid. So they know upfront if the stump will be left, if they will hire their own guy to do it, or if the guy I recommend will be doing it. I also let them know what is included in the grinding weather the chips will be left or if the chips will be removed and the general price range for it.

I could careless if I lose a job over being under bid by another company it happens. Most of my work is referral so I pretty much get everyone of those jobs. The jobs I get called to bid from someone seeing my truck around I would say I run about 75% rate on. My prices are right, I return calls promptly, I am professional, and I keep my appointments.

If you can afford the machine and it make you money that is great. I would never knock someones way of running their business as long as they are safe and professional.

Latest posts

Back