How many wear an athletic groin protector? Plastic, Kevlar or Rubber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slamm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I noticed on the "chart" with all of the various places where chainsaws have injured humans. That there didn't seem to be any apparent signs of rash or spots in the groin area. I wondered, is this due to the fact that so many chainsaw operators are wearing groin protection, and that is why we don't see any damage in this area or what?

Up to this point I have not been using any protection in this area. My Husky Chaps, are split and do not provide testicular protection and therefore, after reading the various safety and PPE threads recently I began wondering, "Am I doing all that I can?" and quite honestly the answer is a resounding "No!!".

Which has brought me to this point of asking which if any groin protection do you currently use and what is it made out of?

Have you had your groin protection actually stop a chainsaw? How many CC's?

What material is it made out of?

What is its shape?

Is it comfortable?

Does it have a flip top?

How are the vents and circulation? Does it causes you to sweat? How much and wear?

Has it failed you, please discribe the injury in detail? (no pictures please)

Do you engage this system at the same time as the chainbrake?

Have you ever worked without it?

Thank you, for any and all helpful facts that you can provide.

Next I will be asking about a protective neck scarf made of Kevlar fibers. You simply place a wad of those kevlar fibers around your neck and pull it snug, and if you ever find that you have spontaniously tripped and floored your saw all the while guiding the freshly sharpened chain to your neck region........this Kevlar scarf will help.

Just here to help,

Sam

Wow this PPE stuff is getting crazy. Now I have to find a kevlar condom? Or a SAPPI cup? :biggrinbounce2:

I prefer the FSS chaps that are split for greater articulation. I have never worried about "package PPE".

Last edited:
Wow this PPE stuff is getting crazy. Now I have to find a kevlar condom? Or a SAPPI cup?

I prefer the FSS chaps that are split for greater articulation. I have never worried about "package PPE".

Well, this is a new age and time, and you had better dam well start worrying about it, don't you care about your family and your family jewels??? Have you no conscious?

Have you ever thought what an errant kickback or trip and fall could cause you to do........instantly those ripping teeth would enter right through your pants zipper, slashing and cutting at the tender flesh and organs, rendering manhood into a form of Grandma's meatloaf in seconds.

And all because you didn't have your Kevlar groin protector or "Kevlar rubber with the option "sack" attachment" on.

Call me with credit card and quantity needed. Also, note whether you will need small, medium or large.

Sam

Ha, ha, laugh you might...

Being of the opposite sex, I'm not really qualified here BUT...
My type C all around protection Stihl chainsaw trousers (European style) (that I don't always wear) DO have protection all around the groin, front, and between and underneath!

Bye, they beat you to it:cheers: :cheers:

Being of the opposite sex, you wouldnt know the amount of protection needed :laugh:

Are you gonna trust your unborn children to a stihl product :dizzy:

:laugh:

That's a negative on that one. I could stand to lose a few:confused: Chaps are about as far as I take it, maybe a hard hat... For my head!

Had to wear a cup when I played Hockey in high school - very uncomfortable - I'll pass and just take my chances LOL

I thought that rubber protection in the groin area was used for well ummmmm ahhhh sex??? Do you actually love your saws that much???? I didn't think it was possible to get it on with a saw. I think I would pick the oil tank hole if I had to, better lubrication.

Well I hope I just did't cross that dayammm line again.

Sign me up for at least one, or do they come in a bigger size than large? I may have to graft two together.:jawdrop:

In cases such as your's, we typically can only provide free shipping for the second protective device and a free tube Superglue for grafting purposes.

Directions are as follows:

Split the first and and place into position on area in need of protection. Cut the second protective device in such a fashion that it provides .3673" of overlap in all directions. Hold in place with one hand or have assistant hold in place. Cut tip on tube of Superglue and apply liberally to all edges, for better position holding capabilities let glue run off onto skin. Let glue dry for one hour while you or your assistant holds everything in place.

After one hour you may begin normal sawing action, with complete security in our system.

Calls are coming in at such a high volume we are currently in the process of setting up a calling center (Translation: We are getting my mom a second line to her house)

Due to the high volume of sales and the probably lack of quality customer service that we will be able to provide in the future. We will begin implementing a customer service center and quality assurance programs similiar in model to the now defunct NWCS's (North West Chain Saw).

Along with similiar excuses for not shipping items at the correct time or even the correct month. For instance: "I don't know why you have not received that saw, you shipped me over two months ago. I finished it three weeks ago..........Oh, wait here it is. I placed it under my porch with the dog and the UPS man didn't see it."

Please call asap, I need the money.

Sam

Is cast iron an option? (!)

:hmm3grin2orange:

Yes, cast iron is also a new options the molds are cooling as I write. All the directions for grafting (if you need a larger size than large) are the same except you will need to substitute soldering for the Superglue or a cast iron rod in for stick welding. So for instance see the below directions:

Split the first and and place into position on area in need of protection. Cut the second protective device in such a fashion that it provides .3673" of overlap in all directions. Hold in place with one hand or have assistant hold in place. Plug in 220 stick welder and place welding rod into holder, apply a wide weld to all edges, for better position holding capabilities let welding rod run off onto skin. Let protective device cool for one hour while you or your assistant holds everything in place. Word of Caution: Obviously the assistant should use gloves. You on the other hand will just have to tough it out, until things cool down a little.

After one hour you may begin normal sawing action, with complete security in our system.

For those that have already ordered, I am hiding the packages around the house in different places. So if the UPS man can't find them don't blame me. He should have spent sometime looking for your purchases.

Over and out,

Sam

Yes, cast iron is also a new options the molds are cooling as I write. All the directions for grafting (if you need a larger size than large) are the same except you will need to substitute soldering for the Superglue or a cast iron rod in for stick welding. So for instance see the below directions:
Split the first and and place into position on area in need of protection. Cut the second protective device in such a fashion that it provides .3673" of overlap in all directions. Hold in place with one hand or have assistant hold in place. Plug in 220 stick welder and place welding rod into holder, apply a wide weld to all edges, for better position holding capabilities let welding rod run off onto skin. Let protective device cool for one hour while you or your assistant holds everything in place. Word of Caution: Obviously the assistant should use gloves. You on the other hand will just have to tough it out, until things cool down a little.
For those that have already ordered, I am hiding the packages around the house in different places. So if the UPS man can't find them don't blame me. He should have spent sometime looking for your purchases.
Over and out,
Sam

.....and the oil used is what grade ? :sucks:
If one ( 1 ) needs an XXXL, is the oil the same grade ? :sucks:
With the correct oil, where do you put it to assemble ? :sucks:

.....and the oil used is what grade ? :sucks:
If one ( 1 ) needs an XXXL, is the oil the same grade ? :sucks:
With the correct oil, where do you put it to assemble ? :sucks:

1. Depends on the amount of friction desired.
2. Use a synthetic, Royal Purple would look best.
3. The tip.

Hope this was helpful.

Sam

I threw a chain off a long bar once, it wrapped around and slapped me in the crotch. Drew a few sparks, and ruined a good chain, but other than that no damage.:hmm3grin2orange:

Andy

Wearing something to protect yourself may have some merit to it. When I was in high school (30 years ago) the only protection used was a hard hat and maybe a pair of gloves. Many of us worked cutting for logging companies after school and on weekends. This was in Maine. One guy that sat beside me in class limped into the room one day groaning the whole way. Everybody wanted to know what all the noise was about. He pulled up his right pant leg and he had 4 inch long cuts the whole way up on the inside of his leg. Every tooth on the chain as it spun made a nasty deep cut and every one of them had to be stitched. There must have been at least 25 cuts. The saw barely missed his private area and the major arteries there. He limped around for a couple of weeks. When chainsaw protective chaps came out in the early 80's it didn't take much to convince me to but a pair and use them.

Wearing something to protect yourself may have some merit to it. When I was in high school (30 years ago) the only protection used was a hard hat and maybe a pair of gloves. Many of us worked cutting for logging companies after school and on weekends. This was in Maine. One guy that sat beside me in class limped into the room one day groaning the whole way. Everybody wanted to know what all the noise was about. He pulled up his right pant leg and he had 4 inch long cuts the whole way up on the inside of his leg. Every tooth on the chain as it spun made a nasty deep cut and every one of them had to be stitched. There must have been at least 25 cuts. The saw barely missed his private area and the major arteries there. He limped around for a couple of weeks. When chainsaw protective chaps came out in the early 80's it didn't take much to convince me to but a pair and use them.
Hey, you don't have to preach to me about crotch safety. There isn't an ounce of sarcaism in this thread. We are all safety first kinda people and top level at that, LOL.

Have fun,

Sam

Latest posts

Back