How much have you burned this season??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
between 6 and 7 face cord so far. a mix of birch, red and sugar maple,ash, popple, a bit of red oak. finally finished the ductwork on the Daka furnace so I use the same amount of wood as usual but it is a lot warmer in the house

Since Labor Day (including DHW) about 3.5 cords. When daily highs go from 40F to 20F my wood use roughly doubles. From 20F to 0F it only goes up a little more. I don't mind loading the OWB up at all, I just smile and think about how many gallons of oil I won't be burning. :)

I have burnt just under 2 cords so far this season. Two rows in the wood shed are gone at about roughly a cord a row. There are 4 more rows and about 1/2 cord in the timber under 2ft of snow.:(

I heat about 15-1600 sq ft of a 100 year old farmhouse that needs some sealing up.

Don

Probably a bit less than a cord, but it's hard to say because alot of the wood I've burnt so far has been from standing dead wood missions. My actual not for sale wood stash has barely been touched.
I guess the house has 8 in of insulation in the walls and I wait for it to get below 55 inside before I care about warming the house up so that explains the slight wood usage. :givebeer:

Probably a bit less than a cord, but it's hard to say because alot of the wood I've burnt so far has been from standing dead wood missions. My actual not for sale wood stash has barely been touched.
I guess the house has 8 in of insulation in the walls and I wait for it to get below 55 inside before I care about warming the house up so that explains the slight wood usage. :givebeer:

55 degF!!!! Holy cow man - burn some wood for goodness sake. What are you afraid of?

My wife keeps our place at 74degF (and opens the bedroom window when she wants fresh air).

3/4 of a chord. Started burning in middle of October. Burn about 12 hours on weekdays and round the clock on weekends. We are on our 2nd burn ban this month and I cringe every time the electric heat kicks on.

not sure about where you are, but burn bans here mean OUTSIDE open burning, not burning in a fireplace or wood stove.

Im somewhere between a 1/2 and 1/3 cord, but I dont burn often.

We have a customer burning 5 face cords a week (24") mix of seasoned and green red oak in his OWB (Hardy) heating his uninsulated 40 x 40 shop that he uses for his tractor repair business. He is one of favorite customers! He's been doing this for four weeks in a row, just paid us for the last load today and ordered 10 more face cords for Saturday delivery. So far we have sold him 40 face cords and it's just really getting good and cold, his stack looks like a locomotive every time we drive by.

We have a customer burning 5 face cords a week (24") mix of seasoned and green red oak in his OWB (Hardy) heating his uninsulated 40 x 40 shop that he uses for his tractor repair business. He is one of favorite customers! He's been doing this for four weeks in a row, just paid us for the last load today and ordered 10 more face cords for Saturday delivery. So far we have sold him 40 face cords and it's just really getting good and cold, his stack looks like a locomotive every time we drive by.

drop the poor guy some tarps to act as walls on that 40x40 shop. a face cord a day would just about heat a 40 x 40 open field....

It's a hell of a set up, he runs old diesel truck radiators as heat exchangers with 20" Wally World box fans behind them, he says he has to run the Hardy wide open to keep up, he's up on the praire were its flat with no trees, the north wind just pounds him, his sliding door on his shop gaps about 2" when the wind catches it right. You would think he would spend a few dollars on insulation, it would be cheaper than all the wood he buys.

im straight east of woodshop about 4 hrs, in iowa--for some reason--tho ive been heating since first of oct--ive only used about 1 cord---and the person that hates ash--thats all i use if i can help it--people PAY to get oak around here,but i can get ash for nothing--suits me-- i have about 10 cords stacked in the basement----no steeping out for wood--this part of the basement--used to be crawl space--till i jacked the house,dug it,and put a basement under it--with a old coal door to the east to throw the wood in--12 wide--by 24 long--8 ft high--

We're just finishing out our first cord of the winter. It's been cold the last week with only a couple of days getting above freezing. We've also been home alot more and so have burned more than we would normally. I believe we burned about 2.5 cords last year, I'll get a more accurate measuer this year with better stacks. If it was 2.5 last year it might close in on 3 this year. The house is always comfortable, and we have to be careful not to get to much heat from the stove. The house is small and we can burn ourselves out of the living room.

Boy, I'd not have near as much of a saw addiction if I burned as little as some of you! My old Woodchuck has eaten over 3 full cords already, though over a cord of that was "junk" wood early in the year. The LP furnace has not kicked on once yet this year, except for a test run last fall, and that's about priceless!

By next winter I plan on having a new more efficient stove, and we'll see how much wood I'm wasting now.

Back