How much is your wood pile worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything was cut up using the following saws: 260 for small branches and these were chipped. 440 was used for the bigger pieces and the 660 for big stuff. 660 was also what I used to fell it. The butt end-thing pictured here was cut up by me with an 088 into 16-18" lenghts and these peices were cut into quarters and some even halved then. Basically we cut the whole tree into pieces that could be carried by one or two people. Some of this the boss took to use as firewood while the rest was given away as free wood. It was a lot clearing job so we had to get rid of the wood and its cheaper to give it away than pay for a container to have it disposed of. As that would cost a pretty penny seeing as theres probably close to if not more than 10 tons of wood from that tree.
Wow , I'd like free wood like that (or any other for that matter)! :eek:
I reckon that one tree would suffice me for an entire winter season. :bowdown:

I buy 7 cubic meters a year , logs delivered into my yard.
I'd have to take a look at the bills for a precise cost , but it is about 380USD that I have to hand out.

Wow , I'd like free wood like that (or any other for that matter)! :eek:
I reckon that one tree would suffice me for an entire winter season. :bowdown:

I buy 7 cubic meters a year , logs delivered into my yard.
I'd have to take a look at the bills for a precise cost , but it is about 380USD that I have to hand out.

$380 is alot cheaper then what I would spend in propane to heat the house!

How do you guys cut and find so much firewood I have 6 cords CSS and still looking and getting more but its a chore finding good hardwood that your allowed to cut in northern pa

We've got about 9 acres of woods, which seems to constantly need thinning. But I also live near an area that is a dumping ground for all the trees taken out by either the local towns during storms, the electric company when removing hazard trees, or local forestry / arborists who don't want to pay to get rid of it and just drop it off there with the rest of the logs. Lots of big stuff, some 24"-32" logs, all about 8-10' long. The town clears out the lot twice a year, I don't know where it goes, but it's all free before it's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$380 is alot cheaper then what I would spend in propane to heat the house!
Same here in Croatia , cheaper then gas , oil or electrical heating!

I am still able to process firewood , that makes heating with it affordable and possible.
Those that are either unable to process firewood , don't want the "dirt" that comes with wood heating , or are just too high nosed to bother with it opt for said alternatives.
Such people , around here , usually start moaning whenever the winter is harder or just takes a week or two longer as their heating costs start ripping into their wallets.
I can burn whatever burnable is around.

This is the fruit of my this years bush clearing on a property of mine.
Those two piles consist of pear, cherry, acacia, hornbeam, wild hazel and a few other wood types (the stacked pile is mostly pear, cherry & hornbeam):
DSC00693.JPG

I reckon it'll burn just fine no matter the size it is! :)

Even though I didn't pay for the wood itself , I did pay in fuel for the chainsaw , electricity for the circular saw , time , effort and sweat.
MOST people around here wouldn't bother unless it were significantly bigger wood! ;)

Even though I didn't pay for the wood itself , I did pay in fuel for the chainsaw , electricity for the circular saw , time , effort and sweat.
MOST people around here wouldn't bother unless it were significantly bigger wood! ;)

Even free wood had its costs. I never really think about the chain lube, oil/gas mix, saw parts, upgrades/port work, bars, chains, files, PPE, labor time, hospital bills, etc due to cutting my own wood. I'm not sure if I'm ahead or behind the propane cost, but at least I'm doing something I enjoy, and who can put a price on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re How much is my wood pile worth?

Currently I have about 10 full cords of dry seasoned wood so buying well seasoned Maple and Birch in peak season locally by the cord, would be approx. 10 x $250 = $2500 + extra to have it stacked.

But in terms of sawing, exercise, staying fit and the satisfaction of being self sufficient in heating the home - my wood pile is priceless. :)

Last time I was pining for some walk around doe, I was getting 60 clams for a truck load. A truck load carries about, what...
I dunno? But I can fit a damn lot of wood in a "truck load". I sure hope it's worth more than $60... around here a cord is $2-300! :eek:

Here's a few loads of Douglas Fir from last year...
image.jpg

You can have the truck for $3000, plus whatever it costs me to drive it over there and fly home to California. :)

I figure a pretty honest 25 cord. Remember boys it's not firewood till it's split.:havingarest:

2m5flll.jpg

2hobss9.jpg

wjjih2.jpg

Around this part of Ontario, sadly its worthless now. The city is taking down the Ash trees 1 area at a time so the wood is free. Most of it is already blocked up ready to split. At the farm where i keep my mare I have so much dead standing wood all I need do is fell those trees and they are ready to burn. And yet friends of mine in Bancroft Ontario are always running out of wood to sell! It aint easy being a chainsaw man!

Man that will cost me 3000 in fuel to get here lol! I love the 73-87 Chevy's. Especially the crew cab's! How far is it to Jon's house from your house?

If you are ever in MT again and need of firewood, check out Craigslist and look for guys selling wood, they will often sell partial loads or pick up for or small loads for reasonable prices. It's not as much fun as cutting your own but works well instead of buying it at the rip-off stores.

Lord I'm glad that I have plenty of Farmer/Rancher friends... I don't have the time to take care of all of the trees that they want out. If I ran nearly what they want me to run, I'd be doing somewhere between 40-75 cords/yr. Presently I'm somewhere between the 12-18 cord mark. Until I have a few bigger trailers, a skid-steer with a grapple bucket and a Super Split S.E, It isn't going to happen either. I'm also full-time A.F. so firewood is side-work to keep me in shape an outside... It will be a joy though when I get a new MS 201T C-M for limbing as mid-western trees have a lot of canopy relative to their trunks...

Back