How much is your wood pile worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here in Croatia , cheaper then gas , oil or electrical heating!

I am still able to process firewood , that makes heating with it affordable and possible.
Those that are either unable to process firewood , don't want the "dirt" that comes with wood heating , or are just too high nosed to bother with it opt for said alternatives.
Such people , around here , usually start moaning whenever the winter is harder or just takes a week or two longer as their heating costs start ripping into their wallets.
I can burn whatever burnable is around.

This is the fruit of my this years bush clearing on a property of mine.
Those two piles consist of pear, cherry, acacia, hornbeam, wild hazel and a few other wood types (the stacked pile is mostly pear, cherry & hornbeam):
View attachment 439322

I reckon it'll burn just fine no matter the size it is! :)

Even though I didn't pay for the wood itself , I did pay in fuel for the chainsaw , electricity for the circular saw , time , effort and sweat.
MOST people around here wouldn't bother unless it were significantly bigger wood! ;)

I'd almost rather have my toenails pulled out than have to process that many pecker pokes/branches!

Had a person call the other day, wanted 4 cords in 12" lengths and no split bigger than 2".
I wasn't even sure how to price that, I would have had easily 30 man hrs into that vs maybe 8 for std sized wood.

I need to cut about 20 cord before winter. Neighbor's place was timbered last year and there are tops everywhere he said are for the taking! Starting next week will attempt to cut approx. 1/2 cord per night after work. Goal is to have it all cut, hauled, split, and in the sheds before Thanksgiving.....or maybe Christmas!!! I do not like digging through snow to find sticks of wood! Nor do I like to throw snow-covered wood into the furnace!

I'd almost rather have my toenails pulled out than have to process that many pecker pokes/branches!

Had a person call the other day, wanted 4 cords in 12" lengths and no split bigger than 2".
I wasn't even sure how to price that, I would have had easily 30 man hrs into that vs maybe 8 for std sized wood.
Stuff this thin in that amount is not a everyday occurrence , it accumulated due to some bush clearing I did this year.
I spent tens of hours to clear the bushes and pre-process that branchy stuff , and about another 10-12 hours to cut it up. :omg:
If I were to sell it I couldn't possibly put a price on it - simply impossible to try charge that many work hours! :chop:

My stove takes about 5"x5"x12" in one piece the most and with one such wood piece it is full and can burn about 1/2 an hour at average air supply.
The fireplace has a bigger door and burning chamber and can take wood pieces of about 12"x12"x18" - once it is heated up it usually gets fed with big knotty stuff.
One big stump can burn in the fireplace at a slow pace half a night.

I somehow doubt the effectiveness of You guys furnaces , You seem to burn entire forests per winter season whereas I (and most of my countrymen) burn one 7-10 cubic meter truckload per season. :confused:
And yes , I can walk through my house in a T-shirt during the winter if I want to.

I do realize You might have harsher winters then we have! ;)

Not trying to insult anyone here , just saying! :)

Have a cold one :cheers:

P.S./Edit:
This is my "normal firewood" stack!

DSC00650.JPG

Back