How much of a difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By adding the dual port muffler covers you should not be voiding the warranty. The dual port muffler covers are Stihl parts. Just remove 4 screws, take off the EPA cover and then put the new Stihl cover on, put in the 4 screws. If you do a muffler mod and cut into the muffler you would probably void the warranty. I'm not a dealer, but can't see that putting that Stihl dual port muffler cover on would void the warranty. The other thing is that the warranty is only 90 days on the 044, 046 and 066 which have the optional DP muffler cover.

So the best way to increase engine life requires voiding the warranty. :bang: Actually, I kinda figured that, as the manuals on the current saws have you opening H all the way.

I read this the other day...

Is there any truth to that? Removing the limiter caps seems to be standard advice, but then everybody seems to point to Madsen's as a good source.

This has been thrashed out many time on AS... you need to leave the caps in place.. but if you cut the tabs off them they can be adjusted fully.

By adding the dual port muffler covers you should not be voiding the warranty. The dual port muffler covers are Stihl parts. Just remove 4 screws, take off the EPA cover and then put the new Stihl cover on, put in the 4 screws. If you do a muffler mod and cut into the muffler you would probably void the warranty. I'm not a dealer, but can't see that putting that Stihl dual port muffler cover on would void the warranty. The other thing is that the warranty is only 90 days on the 044, 046 and 066 which have the optional DP muffler cover.

Not so sure about that... you are modifying they saw in a way not sold by the factory. The Dual port cover is not an option on the 044/MS440.. just the MS460/046, and even that is not for current models. The 066 cover is not available as a factory option on the MS660... it's a "spare" part for the pre-1995 models (they sure sell a LOT of spares!!!).

Sure, they fit, but if you mess with the carb and run the saw too lean, or overspeed it, then warranty is not going to cover it...

Reality - If you know what you are doing then the dual port won't hurt anything. If you don't know how to adjust your carb, then don't... have your dealer do it.. Then the dealer will likely bend a little should bad things happen...

But Andy... aren't Stihl dealers mean and evil???:hmm3grin2orange:

Gary

Wicked thieving money-grabbing arrogant sob's, or so I read on AS..

Never hear much about Husky dealers any more, and both of Dolmars dealers are AS members, so we have to be nice to them... :popcorn: :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back