How much wood could you hand split in a year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I split 3 five gallon buckets of Kindling the other day. Does that count? cut it all to length from scrap lumber on my black and decker chop saw. took me longer to pull the nails than to process it up. I havent even had my splitter cranked since last May. Come to think of it, I havent ran a tank of gas thru any of my saws either.

I split 3 five gallon buckets of Kindling the other day. Does that count? cut it all to length from scrap lumber on my black and decker chop saw. took me longer to pull the nails than to process it up. I havent even had my splitter cranked since last May. Come to think of it, I havent ran a tank of gas thru any of my saws either.

At that rate, the union will pull your card!!

I'm 25 years young, I'm going to break it down as best I can based on what I usually come into contact with.
-It takes me a day to fell, buck, load, drive to my spot and unload a chord and a half (roughly) of wood that's 12"-18" wide. ( I can usually get my truck right up to it)
- I can generally split roughly the same amount in a day 8-10 hours. But I'm tired after that.

365 days a year, 260 "working days" let's say 60 days a year you can't split because of weather, so 200 days a year. Subtract ~25 days for maintenance to machines, sick days and vacation. So we're at 175 days a year to work.
So for every 2 days I can fell, buck and split 1.5 chords (roughly)

So 131.5 chord a year, I don't know about you guys but if the only way I could provide for myself and my family is cutting wood I'd be out in the woods from sun up to sun down every day possible.

131.5 chord a year X $225/ chord = ~29500 a year.

I would say it wouldn't be difficult to do a cord a day given what you laid out. That is assuming the wood is averaged sized trees and not monsters or hard to split species.

It doesn't take long to drop, limb, and buck trees. Assuming you don't need to haul brush, you would get into splitting as soon as the bucking was done.

I often thought if I lost my job and couldn't find another one I would do firewood. However in my small market, prices definitely wouldn't support a new guy putting out 300 cord a year. A guy could always haul loads into the larger cities and would get a good price less transportation expense.

zero, zip, zilch, nada, none..............work smarter not harder, use hydraulics (or at least machinery of some sort) Heck I've seen exploding wedges! LOL I gave up splitting by hand about 4 years ago.

[QUOTE="turnkey4099, post: 6193301, member: 82 next week. Last year I did 14 cords almost all split by hand. Of course that is a year's work and plugged away at it every day the weather allowed. Just split/piled the last of it the beginning of march. I have a splitter but it only sees the knots/crotches and other tough stuff.

Why by hand? I need to keep active and at my age it is 'use it or lose it'.[/QUOTE]

That's one tough old buzzard right there! :clap:

I'm 25 years young, I'm going to break it down as best I can based on what I usually come into contact with.
-It takes me a day to fell, buck, load, drive to my spot and unload a chord and a half (roughly) of wood that's 12"-18" wide. ( I can usually get my truck right up to it)
- I can generally split roughly the same amount in a day 8-10 hours. But I'm tired after that.

365 days a year, 260 "working days" let's say 60 days a year you can't split because of weather, so 200 days a year. Subtract ~25 days for maintenance to machines, sick days and vacation. So we're at 175 days a year to work.
So for every 2 days I can fell, buck and split 1.5 chords (roughly)

So 131.5 chord a year, I don't know about you guys but if the only way I could provide for myself and my family is cutting wood I'd be out in the woods from sun up to sun down every day possible.

131.5 chord a year X $225/ chord = ~29500 a year.

Where are 260 "working days" from? I can see a day or two off for Thanksgiving, Chrostmas... maybe a few days here and there to nurse a cold, so I'd say 355 days.

I did did decide to take today off, doing some much needed cleaning of the garage, hauling in firewood to the house, etc. Normally I work 7 days a week, try to average at least 80hrs a week. Some weeks might be 60, some 120.

Where are 260 "working days" from? I can see a day or two off for Thanksgiving, Chrostmas... maybe a few days here and there to nurse a cold, so I'd say 355 days.

I did did decide to take today off, doing some much needed cleaning of the garage, hauling in firewood to the house, etc. Normally I work 7 days a week, try to average at least 80hrs a week. Some weeks might be 60, some 120.

260 working days is 52 weeks a year X 5 days a week. Like a normal person with a 9-5 would work. I assumed 40hrs a week.

A lot of people work 9-5, 5 days a week. That's why I based my numbers on that.

A lot of businesses operatre on a 9-5. I wonder how that started, used to be EVERYBODY opened at 8...and that included the government offices. Now you're lucky to find a Gov't office open to the public before 10 - "We need an hour to get ready..."

No offense but if you are working that much you either really love your job or you are going to burn out. Trust me, I've been there.

No offense but if you are working that much you either really love your job or you are going to burn out. Trust me, I've been there.
Or, you don't actually work that many hours. I know a lot of people who sit around the shop and work real slow, **** chatting half the time and call them working hours. I still do since I get paid my full hourly rate.

Been at it full time since 2013. No burn outs, my truck only has like 160hp!
Nothing to do at home but more work, so what else is there to spend time on?

I believe in hard work but I also believe I am on this planet to do more than just work hard all the time.
To the OP, I never bothered much splitting by hand but if I had to do what you suggest, I would guess in the 100-150 range. So many factors though.

Agreed. When VF tells us how much he claims to work, I'm not sure if he's telling us because he wants us to know how much of a hard worker he is, or if he wants us to think we aren't working hard enough at our jobs. Personally, when I read his claims I just think that it's sad he doesn't have anything else to live for, and that it's unfortunate he can't find a job that compensates him better for his time. I mean, no one should have to work 4000+ hours/year to support a family of one.

Personally, I think it'd be great if we could all get our needs met with 20-30 hours of paid work every week. I think that the balance of time that would have otherwise been spent working would benefit our society greatly. People would have time to raise their children, be with their loved ones, grow their own food, volunteer in their community, and on and on.

I started over 14 years ago with a hand saw and ax. I cut and split till I had enough to buy a chainsaw and a cheap splitter about 50 cords. I was hauling half a cord at a time in a ranger till I made enough to buy a f250. I had to split 12 cords by hand this winter to buy a cheap hydro after my former business partner stole my super splitter, bundler, truck and other equipment.
Agreed. When VF tells us how much he claims to work, I'm not sure if he's telling us because he wants us to know how much of a hard worker he is, or if he wants us to think we aren't working hard enough at our jobs. Personally, when I read his claims I just think that it's sad he doesn't have anything else to live for, and that it's unfortunate he can't find a job that compensates him better for his time. I mean, no one should have to work 4000+ hours/year to support a family of one.

Personally, I think it'd be great if we could all get our needs met with 20-30 hours of paid work every week. I think that the balance of time that would have otherwise been spent working would benefit our society greatly. People would have time to raise their children, be with their loved ones, grow their own food, volunteer in their community, and on and on.

Some people do enjoy working that much I know I do. I go out and cut and load a cord and a half a day in my truck, bring it in split it as I unload then load it back up and deliver it. Most of the time I cut and split Sunday through Friday and deliver on Saturday. I don't like taking days off I feel completely useless if I do. Where I live it is all B.L.M. ground and unless it is on a specific contract you can not use any equipment at all. Those contracts are very few and far between and if you are a white male like me under the current bid preference system you have no chance at getting one. I also do bundles and kiln dry in a kiln I built myself. As far as not having the time to do anything else I have been a volunteer firefighter and E.M.T. for 15 years and run 200 to 300 calls a year plus all the training. I also volunteer with other organizations and attend government meetings, grow almost a half acre garden and hunt for my own food when I am lucky enough to draw a tag. I still have to turn away 500 plus cords a year I can't fulfill. I used to do 2 or more loads a day but have slowed down some with 3 broken backs and all the damn heart attacks I have been having the last 3 years. I am 33 with no wife or kids and personally can not stand working for someone else. I have to be out in the mountains every day. Some people are different and like to work and are very happy doing so.

Back