How much wood/year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl051master

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After reading some of the firewood posts and recently selling 16 facecords of wood myself,I was thinking, how much wood does the average person burn in a year? I read a few posts about people going through 20-30 "cords" a year Another dumb question I have is that full cords or face cords? A couple of guys I know go through about 12 facecords, each heating a 1500-ish sq. ft. house, and another friend uses 5 facecords a year heating a 1100 sq. ft. place. These are both in the mid-Michigan area, so it does get reasonably cold. How much do you guys go through a year?

Everyone has a different setup (size of house, kind of stove, how cold it was that year...)

I use about 12 cord with my OWB. 1300sf house and lots of hot water. Dec-march.

25-30 face cord! House is 105 year old stone farm house. In need of new windows. They are on the list but the list is very long...

I Go through 6-8 full cords per year, wood is the only heat source I have (I'm NOT Buying Propane, though I have 2 propane furnaces, I had them take the tank) House is 2700sf but we Only use 1500 in the winter. Buck stove runs 24/7 during the cold months. I'm from Miami so I like it warm.....

Last edited:
5-6 full cords also, or as I like to put it 10-12 pickup loads. If working in the garage 12/6 for sure.Oct-May heating season. Home built in mid 50s so not that insulated,but working on that one.

last year I burned about 7 cord in my house.(2800sq ft), 1st year in the house and we used only wood all winter. I'm hoping to use less this year since all the wood last year was old wet and half rotted..

Wood Report

I go through 2 to 3 full cords. 1600 sf. Probably closer to 2 cords.

I cut the same for my mom in same size house.

Electric heat if I don't burn wood. Electric bill runs around $75 month if I burn wood most of the time.

I figure around 25-30 face cords a year, burning my OWB from mid October through May. I live in a 1100 sf single wide so insulation and windows are not the greatest, also heat domestic hot water.

Kyle

I just purchased a fixer upper with a charmaster oil/wood furnace in it. It seems like a soild unit but I have no idea what to expect. The house seems well insulated and has 2 other fireplaces but it is nearly 3000 sq. ft. This will be my first Wisconsin winter heating a home primarily on wood and after last winter I am a bit worried. I just picked up a Stihl WoodBoss and have all my gear just need to locate some wood now.:cheers:

Sully, first of all, WELCOME! New guy buys! :cheers:

:D

Second, talk to any sawmills you can find. Log ends, crotches they can't use? I get all my wood from a log processor, who sells to the mills. He's happy to have me take it away so he doesn't have to pay to have it hauled to the dump, where he pays dump fees!

OR, check out the advice in the free firewood thread. Lots of tree service companies would love to dump wood without dump fees. If you can connect with a couple, they can probably bury you in wood.

Oh, yeah. 1300 square feet, wood stove heat only, and burn about 5 cords. Poorly insulated house. Yeah, that's on the list!

Last edited:
6 full cords of mixed hardwood burned in a DutchWest fireplace insert. 1800 s.f. house good insulation but we need new windows. Last year we used 150 gal of oil for hot water and early morning heat instead of the usual 900-1000 gallons.

How much wood ?

20-25 full cords ( at least ) in CB 6048. I heat 2800 foot house basement apt, 1700 foot kennel building, all domestic hot water, and just added heater for 15000 gallon outdoor pool.

Latest posts

Back