How much wood/year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much?

We just moved into our house July of last year so I quickly had to stock up. I had piles all over the place but I estimate that I burned about 5ish (maybe a little less) cords for 2200 sq. ft. house with good insulation and windows. I have a EnergyMate wood furnace that I fed 2-4 times per 24 hours. NOT ONE GAL OF PROPANE USED! Now that was exciting! This past winter was the first time I didn't have to cover a heating bill - now I am bent on never paying for propane again!

I'll know for sure how much it takes this winter as I have 8 cord split, stacked and ready to go. Cheers!

After reading some of the firewood posts and recently selling 16 facecords of wood myself,I was thinking, how much wood does the average person burn in a year? I read a few posts about people going through 20-30 "cords" a year Another dumb question I have is that full cords or face cords? A couple of guys I know go through about 12 facecords, each heating a 1500-ish sq. ft. house, and another friend uses 5 facecords a year heating a 1100 sq. ft. place. These are both in the mid-Michigan area, so it does get reasonably cold. How much do you guys go through a year?

About 20 face per year. 3300 sq house. I heat the garage and basement (floor heat) and my hot water. Usually burn until wood is gone in June.

4 year old house, great insulation , double pane argon windows, I heat approx 3700sq ft, first floor t-stat sets back to 50 deg 7pm-7am (1800 sq ft), hooking CB 5036 OWB into existing hydonic system with 30 plate water-to-water exchanger. I have unlimited wood so if I have 12 full cords seasoned HW is that enough? Thank You in advance for your help.

I think you should be safe with that amount, but it's never too early to start cutting for next year. A friend of mine always says, better to cut and sweat a little bit than have to walk in snow up to your a$$ because you have to.

Kyle

Great Point !!!!

No one ever wants to be out cutting when it's nasty out because they HAVE to. If the wife starts to drive you nuts then it's always a pleasure to fire up the saw no matter how cold it is! I'll be outside all day tommorow, (temp forcast is for Hazy, Hot, and Humid 94 Deg. keeps you nice and loose = no pulled muscles !!!!) cutting the six trees I dropped today, 3 nice hickory, 2 oak, 1 maple. I also have some massive white pines to drop 110'+ tall. Just to clear back my wood line all the way around I've got to drop about 35 trees most are HW.

I probably use 3 or almost 3 cords of wood. I have a 1,300 sq. ft home that is well insulated. I have a completely finished basement and heat most of that too. My woodstove is in the basement. I use almost 100 gal. of propane a year for cooking and heating when it's too warm to fire up the woodstove.

Danny

1100 sq ft home I burned about 4-1/2 full cord this winter. I have 7 cord cut, split and stacked seasoning for next. :clap:

quote from chainsawaddict "If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is around, does it make a sound."

I learned that one a little different. "If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, Is he still wrong?"

Good quote about Women at least my woman. David:clap:

3/4 to 1 (full) cord a year!

12' x 24' cabin(3/4" pine boards), 2x insulated ceiling (3.5" rolled fiberglass covered with 3/4" foil faced foam board, 3.5" rolled f/g in sidewalls.
My stove is a TINY Uncle Josh brand that used to be made for tents etc. it uses a 3" pipe, at 20 below zero we have to open the door quite often to cool the place off if we put too much wood in. I also rigged a small 10" box fan up in the peak to blow heat back down
My buddy down the road is a stubborn ole cuss who has the exact same size cabin, his was only tar papered with no insulation, he can't see "wasting money" on insulation :) He has a full size, cast iron stove, at 0 or lower temps his dog's water is frozen solid on the floor 2 feet from the stove, he uses 6-7 cords a year! I LOVE insulation :)
Insulate once or pay forever!!!
c5c7c9

about 8 heap up truck loads . about1000 sqr feet six foot high in storage.never figure it out in cords.never sell any if I get 50 bucks a load going rate thats 400.00 dollars. if I burn at home make 1600 dollars hear its about 2 grand to heat a house now I hear

I burn between 10 and 12 cord a year. That's heating all my hot water and my old farm house that's just under 2200 sq. ft. Seems like a lot of wood until I figured how much it would cost in fuel oil to do the same thing:jawdrop:

Back