How much wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoping4Heat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I figured someone may have a better idea than I do. It's 2 angles of the same pile!

Sep-Oct2008263.jpg

Sep-Oct2008264.jpg

My pictures must be unlcear-I hope. There are over 70 logs that are about 7 feet long each. :monkey:

Ahhhh, so, in the second pic, the length of the pile is not all inclusive in the photo?

I guess we can do some math. How accurate it would be is another story.:monkey:

70 logs @ 7' long each with an average diameter of 9.25"?

If they were all blocked to 16" then split to average diameter of 4.50", that might get us close.

I'm not sure what blocked means...sorry:( I measured a number of diameters and they start around 9" and go up to about 20", but most are between 9 and 14" I think. The truck dumped about 5 loads so they start down in back which is the 2nd picture and then there are 3 sort of rows of piles. I counted at least 70 logs, but likely more.

My estimate, 5 1/2 to 6 cords after it is cut, split and stacked. That does not include bugs, grass, dirt, leaves, oppossums or extrusions. I was short in the last one probably am in this one too.

Last edited:
Well I definitely like that estimate better!!!
The guys who dropped it estimated more than 3, but less than 5. Then he said the ash tree was a lot bigger than he had realized.

Now we need to get a chainsaw to start cutting it:greenchainsaw:

The guys who dropped it estimated more than 3, but less than 5. Then he said the ash tree was a lot bigger than he had realized.

Yep. Enjoy. I really like to cut into piles of clean logs.

Blocking is just cutting logs into firewood length.

The diameter and the length of the average log in the pile is not clear. There is no scale. These logs could average 6" dia., 8" dia., or even 10" dia. The lengths could be anywhere from 5' to 10' long.

Even if a lawnmower were parked closeby, a better volume estimate could be made. Enjoy cutting your wood. Great haul!

Last edited:
I figured that was what blocking was when I re-read and saw the 16". My husband will be busy this weekend if I can find a chainsaw tomorrow. Any advice on a light, cheap chainsaw? I am looking on craigslist for something used and all I've heard it to try to get a Stihl, but what should I look for?

Also, the smaller logs up front are about 9" diameter and they are all about 7 feet long.

I figured that was what blocking was when I re-read and saw the 16". My husband will be busy this weekend if I can find a chainsaw tomorrow. Any advice on a light, cheap chainsaw? I am looking on craigslist for something used and all I've heard it to try to get a Stihl, but what should I look for?

Also, the smaller logs up front are about 9" diameter and they are all about 7 feet long.

Light, cheap. Lots out there. Dependable would be something I would want in the mix.

New: Echo makes some reasonably priced saws that are quite dependable.

Used is harder. Need to pull mufflers, check compressions or just roll the dice.

I have had excellent dependability out of Stihl, Husky, and Echo. No experience with the others.

Price max for this saw purchase?

Remember , it was just an estimate, by a class clown. Anytime now teacher is going to come along and try to straighten me out.

One thing about it , that stack will keep you busy.There is a lot of good advice here about which saw to start with. In my opinion , 40cc - 50cc with a 16" - 18" bar and safety chain, is a good starter saw for an adult or anyone over 120 pounds. Whatever you do , get ANTI-VIBE , it is worth the small difference in price.

I went with a husky 359 and love it. I got it at chainsaws unlimited on main st south across from p.e.s. I started out with a cheap saw from home depot. Bad mistake dont do that. stihl or husquavarna is definatly the way to go

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back