how often do you change your log splitter fuilds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a used Iron and Oak Commercial splitter this year. I changed the hydro fluid last week with a transfer pump. Got 11 of the 16 gallons out. The fluid very dark and needed changing. Put in fresh AW-32 and a new filter. Motor oil get changed once a year with synthetic 10w/30. The old Speeco got about a 100 hrs/year on it with the same interval although this should be quite a bit less due to increased production.

Going to inspect the spider in the lovejoy this week.

ka4col.jpg

Hydraulic oil never. Filter, never.
Engine oil every 50 to 100 hours.
I put a cheap hour meter on mine that makes keeping track easy.

My homemade splitter holds almost 55 gallons of hydraulic oil so no way am I ever changing that. I pay $100 for a 5 gal pail for it. Engine oil changes about once a year in a Chinese engine. The Speeco engine has been changed maybe 5 times in 10 years. Speeco has never had hydraulic oil changed.

Where are you buying oil?!

We get it for about $45 a pail at Napa... and that's AK prices, so L48 I'm sure is cheaper.

Go through maybe 100-150 gallons a year on average.

I use the Universal hydraulic oil from Sams club in all my equipment it meets the specs for all the equipment I own they had a sale a while back and I pickup 6 five gallon pails for $38.00 each I think the regular price is forty something. I been using there oil for 15 or so years and it been fine. When I built my firewood processor a few years ago and needed 120 gallons of oil I check with a couple oil company's to see if I could find some in bulk for less per gallon and they were more than Sams in the pails so I just bought it from them when it was on special.

Choppy and NSMaple, I run a Kubota L35 TLB, it uses a common reservoir for the transmission and hydraulics so I have to run better oil. Kubota oil is $115 pail right now or I run Spirax and it's $119 right now. I run 32 in my Speeco and other stuff but anything that I have remotes on I run the TGH in it. I have extra outlets on my big splitter to run my dump trailer so I have to run TGH in it as I also use the dump with the tractor.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/det...sionid=TTgAAfUTBPmrxsVD71oVLcnO.pal-prod-com2

I changed the oil and filter in my Wallenstein splitter for the first time this past spring and I bought it new 10 years ago. I change the engine oil every year regardless of how many hours I put on it. However many hours it takes to split 12-15 cord of firewood is how many hours it gets a year!

Latest posts

Back