How often do you clean your chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppermouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am burning seasoned hardwood, and using my catalytic stove properly, how often do you think the chimney needs cleaned?
there is nothing on the expanded mesh around the cap

I do mine every other year never get much build up . Remove the combuster every year to clean out the fly ash

How do you clean out your combustor? They told me not to use compressed air. I just replaced mine last year and put a good thermometer on it, what a difference it makes in the heat output and there is no smoke coming out of the chimney when its kicked in, just some steam in the right conditions or heat trails.

Mine is a simple clean-out I can reach & clean without a ladder,
I check every week and then clean when ever it needs.

I should add its a simple non catalytic airtight with outside air installed

Last edited:
I'm running a Vermont casting insert. 12 years now. Had to replace the combuster 3 years ago . Not sure exactually what it is you have there but would think it best to remove the combuster prior to doing a sweep. I just use an air hose but only crack the valve open a little & air it off from a few inches away or youll tear up the honey comb.

Once a year

The first couple of years I cleaned every couple of months. Now I clean in September before the first burn. Doesn't get too bad but I always use well seasoned wood and never damper down the fire, so it burns hot.

Once a year, not bad at all. Just little stuff.

Once a year at the weekender which I spend some weeks in during the winter but I should do it twice a year. I get some pretty big clumps of creosote in there.

Usually once in the fall but I check it through the clean out door pretty regular. Cleaning it once in the fall usually gets me about two five gallon pails full of creosote.

I lined mine with stainless and don't clean it anymore. All the cooked creosote falls back in the stove. I look at it every three months though.

My chimney is 35' high and encloses three masonry flues. I call a professional sweep every two years to clean the flue that is connected to my wood stove. The other two flues handle natural gas fireplaces that I seldom use. No cleaning of them is required.

Sept. and late Jan. Usually, nothing to worry about, very little build up. However, my combuster is shot. I haven't bothered to replace it since the stove more than heats our double wide (we spend the winter in shorts and the dog hates it (Arby opts to spend his time out doors)). Even when we burned pine (currently burning hard woods) nothing much built up. Better to clean it too often then to be sorry.

Happy heating,

Later,

Lopi insert, clean once a year right before I start burning for the season. In fact, I just did it today. Supposed to get cold tomorrow, so time to crank er up.

I clean mine once a year. I only use seasoned wood (no pine) and keep the fire fairly hot most of the time, so there isnt usually much buildup.

Once a month, I just go to the roof , drop the rope and do one sweep, from the basement. I have an Energy King wood furnace with auto draft on the thermostat.

I have 2 wood burners. My small stove has a catalytic combustor and i don't really have to clean that one. I have to clean the cap occasionally that’s about it. The double wall insulated pipe also helps keep it clean.

Then i have a large woodstove in the basement. It has a stainless pipe ran through my old masonry chimney. That one has to be cleaned monthly.

After a few times i have it down. I let the stove go out, obviously. Then i bush it down. Then i remove the elbow in the basement and vacuum it out with a shop-vac. I can do it in less then a half hour. I know it has be be done when i get smoke out the door when reloading.

will always check annually if chimney needs cleaning. but it hasn't needed it for years.

finally cleaned it anyways... not much came down ...
so it really depends upon how hot/clean your wood burns.

if there's constantly smoke after reaching operating temps... then your chimney will probably need more attention, then the wood stove that's putting out barely a wisp of smoke at full steam.

I clean once in October and check several times while burning. We are away from the house a lot during the day, so we have low, smoldering fires a lot. This generates a lot of creosote. For the most part, my chimney is not the problem (stainless), but my cap used to get loaded up and affect the draft. I have since modified my cap and no longer have trouble with it. I still check the cap pretty often.

Back