How often do you replace a split tail?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kottonwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been using the same split tail for about three months. There is now a lot of rope burn on it and I've noticed it's getting stuck sometimes. I am going to replace it. How often do you guys replace your split tails? What is the most durable type of split tail?

IT really depends on what kind of trees you climb what style you climb how fast you climb/descend and how many hours a week you sepnd how often they need to get changed, Personally i wore out 1 split tail bought a grigri to try and have never looked back, i now own 3 gri gris and wouldnt even think about picking up my old split tail agian, I do use e2es for my lanyards because sometimes pruning i like to be able to lower on a lanyard but other then that i am completely mechanical, i have never had a grigri slip which i cant say for my split tail, the only thing you should know about it is that they are only rated up to 11mm line, however i have used 1/2inch 16 strand many many times without problem.

back to your original question rope should be replaced when the outer shell becomes compromised in any way via burns pulled fibers excessive glazing etc

Hey Patriot, what kind of split tail are you using? There are a lot of different materials out there. Also what kind of split tail? Eye and eye? or traditional split tail? I have found the HRC, and Beeline to be a lot more durable and resistance to heat, which is what they were designed for.

Often a lot of the wear comes from "burning" out of the tree, which is fun none the less. The split tails made from Tenex or traditional 16 stand simply won't take the heat. Back in the day prior to spliced eyes and split tails, we changed ends of the rope on each climb for this very reason.

Need more info. Post some pics of your split tails.

I have HRC split tails that have been around for more than a year.

Last edited:
When I used a half inch split tail a little glazing didn't bother me much but when I switched over to the smaller diameter i2i's like HRC, Beeline, and Ice a little glazing on them starts to scare me. I change mine every other month or so now. Depends what type of work I've been doing, how much I was zinging out of the tree, etc. Examine it and use your best judgment. There's guys that can use one for a full season and guys that burn through one a day. It all depends.

Mine has been cracked as long as I can remember,burned a few times,kicked,
beaten,busted ,and even had it handed to me a few times.

Never even crossed my mind to replace it.

I use a beeline eye to eye. I do like to burn out of a tree as often as possible. I really like the idea of the gri gri. I didn't realize there was even a system available that you can attach midline like that for under a hundred bucks. Hell, if I am going to be buying split tails every few months that thing will pay for itself in a year.

So how does the gri gri work? I use a petzl grillion on my lanyard, is it similar in function to that?

you waste money buying eye to eye prussic. total waaaaaste of money. for the dollar more it'll cost you in making enough line for the tied eyes you still well below the e2e cord.

call wesspur up and order a roll of beeline for 1.19/ft. you won't be unhappy about it. this last batch they have out is some good stuff.

I use a beeline eye to eye. I do like to burn out of a tree as often as possible. I really like the idea of the gri gri. I didn't realize there was even a system available that you can attach midline like that for under a hundred bucks. Hell, if I am going to be buying split tails every few months that thing will pay for itself in a year.

So how does the gri gri work? I use a petzl grillion on my lanyard, is it similar in function to that?

The GriGri is similar to the Grilliion. It for decending only though. Unlike the Grillion, you cannot pull line through it under load (well basically you can't). It came from the rock climbing side of the industry. I personally don't use it for that application, but I'm sure it would work. It does not work well on 1/2 inch ropes.

Yeah, after looking at it I was thinking that it is probably not the best for a mechanical split tail. It would be better suited for use as a decender for SRT.

Anyone ever used the lockjack, that thing looks pretty slick, especially the lockjack sport. They sure are proud of it for that price....... but Christmas is coming.

Yeah, after looking at it I was thinking that it is probably not the best for a mechanical split tail. It would be better suited for use as a decender for SRT.

Anyone ever used the lockjack, that thing looks pretty slick, especially the lockjack sport. They sure are proud of it for that price....... but Christmas is coming.

As a matter of fact I have. I have two of the Lockjack Sports, just happened to come upon an extra one. I use it especially on crane jobs when setting chokers, puts the heat on metal instead of rope. They work great, not something I use for everyday climbing. I also use it when I get my wife to climb with me (recreational climbing), makes it easier for her. Interested in buying a used one? LOL

you waste money buying eye to eye prussic. total waaaaaste of money. for the dollar more it'll cost you in making enough line for the tied eyes you still well below the e2e cord.

call wesspur up and order a roll of beeline for 1.19/ft. you won't be unhappy about it. this last batch they have out is some good stuff.

Yup. I still call mine an i2i. I guess it's just a prussik cord though. Bought 60ft of Ice this past summer and have been making my own all season. Another benefit of buying in bulk is the ability to adjust the length of cord used. Helpful for different variations on hitches so you can find the combo you like with whatever climbline you run.

the grigri is easily used for ascending and dont let anyone tell you otherwise, all you need is an ascender and a beaner to clip your rope through this gives you a mechanical advantage and self tails the rope, i have climbed on grigris for about 6 years and they work exceptionally well in single rope and in double rope with a false crotch, you cant footlock with one but i am just as efficient with 2 ascenders (one with a foot loop) as i am footlocking anyway

the grigri is easily used for ascending and dont let anyone tell you otherwise, all you need is an ascender and a beaner to clip your rope through this gives you a mechanical advantage and self tails the rope, i have climbed on grigris for about 6 years and they work exceptionally well in single rope and in double rope with a false crotch, you cant footlock with one but i am just as efficient with 2 ascenders (one with a foot loop) as i am footlocking anyway

Agreed Damon, and I too have used it in that capacity. Thanks for adding that application. It is a pretty unique application for making your climb easier on an SRT system.:agree2:

Ive been on the same eye2eye for over 2 seasons. I burn out of every tree I can(cuz untill Im old, Its fun , and freaks people out, they always think Im falling). Mines burnt to a crisp, starting to scare me. Id say one or 2 seasons and it should be changed, depending on how much climbing you do.

prusiks

replace it when you see wear or broken strands on it. i just bought a $36 prusik and its nice. they will eventually start to burn together after alot of use.

Latest posts

Back