How often do you start your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattinky

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Since joining this site I have been infected with the chainsaw virus that the rest of you have LOL. I heat both home & shop with wood so my saws get used pretty often during the winter but will be sitting in the off season. I don't want any of them to set too long and get gummed-up carbs. How often do you guys start your saws during the off-season to prevent this from happening?

Since joining this site I have been infected with the chainsaw virus that the rest of you have LOL. I heat both home & shop with wood so my saws get used pretty often during the winter but will be sitting in the off season. I don't want any of them to set too long and get gummed-up carbs. How often do you guys start your saws during the off-season to prevent this from happening?

O by the way found a box will ship that tanaka monday.:cheers:

As long as I run them dry, I don't have any gum up problems. The race saws will sit through the winter. The work saws just get abused, but I don't let the fuel get too old in those.

With my wonderful california gas/ethanol, I'm paranoid about leaving mix in a saw for much more than a week, so I'm always running them dry on idle. So far no carb problems on the 13 year old 026. If you are not using them in the summer I would definitely not leave mix in them, let them idle dry.

I've always been hesitant to let an two-strke run dry. The lube is in you fuel. So aren't you running it with less oil than needed? I've actually heard of quads being tied up because of running them out of fuel.

I've always been hesitant to let an two-strke run dry. The lube is in you fuel. So aren't you running it with less oil than needed? I've actually heard of quads being tied up because of running them out of fuel.

I don't know about the quads, but I don't think that saw get lean for long enough to cause damage. You are not working with a float bowl that slowly empties causing a lean condition.

I don't know about the quads, but I don't think that saw get lean for long enough to cause damage. You are not working with a float bowl that slowly empties causing a lean condition.

I can actually hear my 394xp going lean right before it runs out of gas if I'm running wot it at the time. That's actually how I can tell it's about to die, the half a second of higher revs, time to shut her down and fill her back up.

I use my saws more regularly in the winter. I only use them in the warmer weather when I need to. But none of them ever sat long enough to drain them.

We have 6 to 10 % ethanol here in Chesapeake,VA, according to my alcohol tester. I get a 5 gallon can of 91 octane, so I have the best additive package available, and I add fuel stabilizer to that. I use it in the 4 strokes, and mix my 2 stroke cans from this can as needed. Since I have been doing this for the last 3 years I have not had one single carb problem, even after letting a saw or trimmer sit for 6 months. What I usually do is vacuum out the fuel but leave the carb wet. I hate running an engine lean at WOT, and was never patient enough to let it idle out. Before, when I was using cheap gas and no stabilizer, I would have dead stinky fuel in 3 weeks.
I have over 40 running engines when I count the trimmers, mowers and others, and this method has worked for me.

I run the gas out most of the time too It doesn't hurt the engine imo I don't run it wide open just blurps. until the carb drains. I have done this to my snowmachines and outboard motors as well and never had a problem. I would rather put fresh gas/oil in my saw than have old gas in it all winter.

Twinkle has to work part time and just about every work day now that we are having storms. I think an average of an hour a day. Ran a tank full of Fluffy's fuel yesterday cutting some wood for me. Old Sparkless doesn't want to start now that it is winter. He needs to be kept in a warm spot and then he'll start. He doesn't have a compression release and is pain in the arm. :cry:

All my gas has stabil in it, as well as being premium and Ultra.. So I slack off one some for 3-6 months..

Most of my stuff is active, but I did just dump out the gas tanks of about 6 2-stokes, filtered, and put it in my truck. And refueled them with fresh mix. No waste there...

All my gas has stabil in it, as well as being premium and Ultra.. So I slack off one some for 3-6 months..

Most of my stuff is active, but I did just dump out the gas tanks of about 6 2-stokes, filtered, and put it in my truck. And refueled them with fresh mix. No waste there...

At the risk of sounding like a dumba$$.....how do you filter the premix, Andy?

Just curious because I've been recycling my old fuel and I'd rather use it.

Latest posts

Back